Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GT - Glanza for rich kids?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

sorry lads - civics and skylines have nothing to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

unkel wrote:
    I'd be more interested in why a young lad would choose an old turbo super mini (Glanza) over an old non-turbo super mini (Civic). Owners of either please respond!

I own neither but dump-valve "Tiiisssh" noise gets my vote.

Oh and the excuse to buy turbo-timers and as many other dials as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Did someone mention me? :D
    B00MSTICK wrote: »
    He must've been thinking of SDI, Strategic Defence Initiative or Sucky Diesel Injection ofc!

i think you were taking my quote out of context mr boomstick,i think i said what i said to defend TDI owners who think their cars are fast,at the time the TDI golf was the most powerful car i had owned,only 130bhp but buckets of torque,torque in the TDI is a deceptive mistress,she pushes you back in your seat when you floor it and gives you the "impression" of great haste!

I of course realised my TDI wasnt fast pretty quickly*

*this was my particular TDI,i do know some TDIs that are fast,proper fast but none of them are standard,or only remapped.the have a bit of work done.

I cant believe people are comparing a glanza to a golf GT,i can't believe that so many people on this thread jumped to the defense of the golf,i cant believe that a golf thread on boards got around to diesel again......oh wait i can!!

Although i will say this,glanza drivers and TDI drivers have something in common in that they both believe they are driving the fastest thing on the open road,there are of course a few proper fast glanzas out there,but most are only nippy.

The running joke i have with my rice rocketeer friends is that id rather hit a wall in my car than theirs*

*i of course wouldn't liek to hit the wall in any car and dont dare trivialise crashing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

NiSmO wrote: »
    was your car brand new when you got it?

You bemoan running costs without attention to purchase cost - buying nearly new would have allowed you to offset one cost against another

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Which is why the GT is attractive for young people (and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I understand that totally, just be careful with the gti bits you add, the last thing you want to look like is someone pretending to have a gti when they don't. The GT 170 is a lovely car in it's own right.

Go for those "telephone dial" GTi wheels? They are one of the best features of the GTI IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ronoc wrote: »
    Go for those "telephone dial" GTi wheels? They are one of the best features of the GTI IMO.

Except when they are on previous model Golfs.

ronoc wrote: »
    are they the "ninja star" ones on the golf gti - i really don't like those - they make the car look a bit bling - prefer something a bit less in your face

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Except when they are on previous model Golfs.

Lol! +1 big time

Forgot to say actually was down getting petrol this morning a 10 ish and what pulled in beside me, a Golf gt tsi.Two fella's in it.

Nah scruffy looking builders haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

You know I was only thinking what the OP posted a while back...They definitely seem to attract a certain class of well heeled junior boy racer...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Notorious wrote: »
    When you say most in their early 20's would have no interest in a golf, do you mean that they couldn't afford it? Because I for one am in my early 20s, and while I definitely can't afford a Mk5 Golf, I'd be a million times more interested in one than a Glanza. Sure the Glanza is just a tacky Toyota Starlet!
    I'd start saving the pennies for a new Golf before I'd even consider buying a Glanza!

As another point, I work on/off with a car rental company. We have quite a few Golfs, some of the GT Sport too. But these are very popular with old and young customers. Quite a few of them are held aside just to be rented to companies who have car rental accounts with us.
    So, all in all I'd put the Golf down as a car that'd appeal too all across the age spectrum.

The Passat pi**es all over the Mondeo. Then downs a load more booze and pi**es all over it again!

Yes most poeple in their early 20's can't afford them and as already mentioned most from certain backgrounds wouldn't be interested anyway i.e. the type that would be interested in souped up starlets. That said this thread has grown some legs!

Ah i'd say he thought u were a wanna be with an 80bhp, lol surely u should have put him in his place!

Haha, so it's becoming slowly more evident, don't buy an 80bhp gt golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Good post. That's neither a GT or less than 20k. FAIL
    copacetic wrote: »
    yes you can, easily get one for around 20k or less.
    hardly 'rich kids' kind of money

http://www.volkswagen.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1209181

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Notorious wrote: »
    When you say most in their early 20's would have no interest in a golf, do you mean that they couldn't afford it? Because I for one am in my early 20s, and while I definitely can't afford a Mk5 Golf, I'd be a million times more interested in one than a Glanza. Sure the Glanza is just a tacky Toyota Starlet!
    I'd start saving the pennies for a new Golf before I'd even consider buying a Glanza!

As another point, I work on/off with a car rental company. We have quite a few Golfs, some of the GT Sport too. But these are very popular with old and young customers. Quite a few of them are held aside just to be rented to companies who have car rental accounts with us.
    So, all in all I'd put the Golf down as a car that'd appeal too all across the age spectrum.

The Passat pi**es all over the Mondeo. Then downs a load more booze and pi**es all over it again!

Surely you mean a passat s***s itself when it sees a mondeo?
    And before Tossy trys to berate me for my usual anti VW rant , even I would pick a Golf GT over a glanza / starlet.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I think i would prefer the new mondeo over the new passat myself,although this new opel insignia is the one to beat for them all.

I will qualify that by saying i have never liked passats(at least not the last two incarnations) apart from maybe the W8,allthough the new R36 passat wagon is a different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Does anyone not see the irony of buying a GT/GT Sport with a paraffin stove or 1.4 NA engine?

Advertisement