Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL modem ethernet problem

Options
  • 27-09-2008 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

For the last two days now I've been having a problem connecting my computer to my modem via the ethernet, the cable does work as it shows up as connecting but never acquires a network address then stops working with limited or no connectivity.

It was working fine 3 days ago and the only thing I changed was to install Vista on another drive but that shouldent effect XP on a duel boot (on the day I installed Vista both XP and Vista worked with the ethernet connection till I shut down the computer for the night) .

Has anyone had this problem or would know of a solution to it, I'm on the 20mb connection and using the USB to connect im only getting 700kb download instead of 2400kb I normally get ( on non peek hours ).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Have you tried shutting down the PC, rebooting the cable modem and when the DS and US lights go solid on the cable modem, powering back up the PC? If you choose "Repair" under Vista, what happens?

On the note about USB, 700KBps is about the max you will get when you use USB as USB only creates a 10Mbps connection between cable modem and computer. To achieve more than 10Mbps will require an ethernet connection.

Advertisement