Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Football hid fuel-stealing scam

Options
  • 27-09-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

People will try anything :)

By Grainne Cunningham

Saturday September 27 2008

HAVE you heard the one about the Lithuanian with the hole in his van? No, it's not a politically incorrect joke but a new fuel-stealing scam uncovered by gardai.

Nerijus Kikas (31) came up with a complicated but ingenious ploy to extract diesel from the local filling station and managed to steal 355 gallons before being caught by gardai.

Mr Kikas, with an address at 10 Westfield View, Ashbourne, Co Meath, cut a hole in the floor of his Peugeot van where he had a large container for holding the diesel. He then fed a tube through a football which he positioned below the van. The tube led into the service station's diesel holding tank.

The football concealed the tube so, to the casual observer, it simply appeared that there was a football stuck under the van, according to Garda Pat Muldowney, who gave evidence at Mr Kikas's trial.

Mr Kikas had also installed an electric pump to allow him to steal diesel as quickly as possible, Drogheda District Court heard yesterday.

He was arrested shortly before 1am on Wednesday, September 24, a short distance from the Esso Filling Station at Carronstown in Duleek, Co Meath.

Gda Muldowney told the court Mr Kikas had another modified van for transporting the diesel and described the set up as a 'sophisticated operation'.

Mr Kikas's solicitor, Patrick Branigan, said the defendant -- who has been living in Ireland for three years -- had been working in the construction industry but was now unemployed as a result of the downturn in the economy.

Mr Kikas realised this was a serious offence but all of the diesel, which was valued at €2,396, had been recovered, he said.

Judge Flann Brennan imposed a €1,000 fine on Mr Kikas and gave him three months to pay.

- Grainne Cunningham

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was reading it in the Indo this morning. I'd almost admire the ingenuity! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I was reading it in the Indo this morning. I'd almost admire the ingenuity! :)

+1, 10/10 for head scratching on this one! I was going to ask how did he drill down into the tank area but I suppose he parked over the filling ports and opened the lid and put a plastic pipe down?

Imagine if he had been malicious and had contaminated the fuel instead of removing it, if he had a grudge against the garage, imagine the amount of damage he could have caused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

do we have to let him continue living in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

VH wrote: »
    do we have to let him continue living in the country?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Builders are getting desperate. :p

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Yes.
    are we not allowed deport criminals?

Not ones from fellow EU states, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

He must be having a right aul laugh at the stupid Paddy court system, he steals over €2k worth of goods and gets fined €1,000.....AND had a few months to pay for it FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sizzler wrote: »
    He must be having a right aul laugh at the stupid Paddy court system, he steals over €2k worth of goods and gets fined €1,000.....AND had a few months to pay for it FFS

And a criminal record. :rolleyes:

He will be watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

And a criminal record. :rolleyes:

He will be watched.

I'm sure they will....

• Advertisement

Hotwheels wrote: »
    I'm sure they will....
    Try getting into the States these days with any criminal record. :eek:

He will also find it impossible to get a service station loyalty card :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

He will be watched.

He's hardly a master criminal, he'll move on to the next town and they wont know him from Adam.

seeing as he's now unemployed he'll be paying the fine out the dole we're giving him

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

priceless :D

Take money out of his dole, not unless the court orders it they can't...and I doubt if he'll be heading for the USA anytime soon..life's too good here :D

He's hardly a master criminal, he'll move on to the next town and they wont know him from Adam.

The Authoritiies in the next town will know soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

You have to give the bloke 10/10 for originality. The football was pure genius :D
    The Authoritiies in the next town will know soon enough. Everytime his vehicle confronts a mobile or fixed ANPR camera or the toll bridge gantry the system will know exactly who he is and where he is.

Do you sit at home with a tin foil hat :pac: You have to be the most paranoid person ever ....

iwanttobelieve.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

priceless :D

Take money out of his dole, not unless the court orders it they can't..
    conviction by the court should trigger an automatic Social Welfare audit - no smoke without fire, dontchaknow.........fuel-fullled, or not.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

Reminds me of this story,
    "A BENCH warrant has been issued for a man suspected of involvement in the 'man in a suitcase' scam in which baggage was raided on buses."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055297174

Do these oddball crimes happen a lot in Eastern Europe?

Reminds me of this story,
    "A BENCH warrant has been issued for a man suspected of involvement in the 'man in a suitcase' scam in which baggage was raided on buses."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055297174

Do these oddball crimes happen a lot in Eastern Europe?
    That's quite imaginitive, in fairness.:D

Do you sit at home with a tin foil hat :pac: You have to be the most paranoid person ever ....
    Not so much paranoid but aware that Ireland is well capible of going down the same road as the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/sep/15/civilliberties.police

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Take money out of his dole,

Let him off the fine if he goes back to Lithuania and claim the dole there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

he steals over €2k worth of goods and gets fined €1,000
    Possibly because all the stolen diesel was recovered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Try getting into the States these days with any criminal record. :eek:

He won't need one!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

They must have a soft spot for Lithuanian's, a garda car pulled up next to my Lithuanian ex girlfriend at traffic lights at about 2am when she was on her phone, when she saw them she threw it across the car, haha, they let her off though:cool:

cormie wrote: »
    They must have a soft spot for Lithuanian's
    no - it's the "me no speak english" card that has their hands tied

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My ex had better English than a lot of Irish people I know :P

no doubt - when it suited

Advertisement