Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottleneck?

Options
  • 27-09-2008 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi
    I just built a pc with the following specs:
    63959.jpg

Unfortunately it runs Crysis quite poorly. I assume that it is bottlenecked somewhere since I am not getting the fps which the 4870 x2 has got in other reviews.

Any ideas where it might be.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Kev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No bottleneck there, maybe you didn't install all drivers. You did install the graphics and chipset drivers, right?

Vista or Xp? Vista uses more memory. 2GB wouldn't be enough for Crysis and Vista IMO as Vista alone would eat most of that 2GB. Also Crysis on Vista is directx 10 which is harder to run than on Xp, much more graphical detail. If Vista then 2GB more wouldn't go astray. My Vista is using 2GB of my 4GB just ticking over with its prefetch.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Thanks for the reply.

Ok cool. I have some spare RAM but it is by a different manufacturer. Does this matter?

I also read that the e8400 is better for gaming and I just happen to have one lying around so I will use that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 qtpLOL

As stated on NUMEROUS occasions ANYTHING from the E8300 to the Q9550 is going to run EXACTLY the same on crysis maybe 1fps in the diff :D

I think its the fact you're running 2gig instead of 4, but bare in mind crysis is DIRELY programmed and nothing runs smoothly on it, I think its probs the only game any card has difficulty with.

Your card supports directx 10.1 on vista 64bit.

Nice machine btw, I just would have got 4gigs is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

vista takes 2gigs ticking over??? i have it on 2machines and its using between 25 & 30% of 4gigs ram on each...which is 1gig....slightly over....... one is 64 bit and the other is 32bit vista, i know its a hog yes but not 2gigs lol, but your right about crysis + vista needing more than 2gig, mine ran alot smoother when i ran it with 4gigs, 2gigs isnt enough, even battlefield 2 was poor at times on 2gigs (with vista), though bf2 was a hog too i guess......Must be EA lol

Advertisement