Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning permission for small porch

• 27-09-2008 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

My parents want to build a small front porch onto their house. The house is in a small estate where a couple of other houses also have porches. As far as we are aware the people in those houses never had permission. Is it absolutely necesary and is there a maximum size that you can build?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Check out these pages:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1585,en.pdf

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1586,en.pdf

You can build a porch without planning permission, as long as it does not exceed 2 square metres in area and is more than 2 metres from any public road or footpath.
    Where the porch has a tiled or slated pitched roof, it must not exceed 4 metres in height, or 3 metres for any other roof type.
    A front porch within these limits is the only type of development allowed to extend beyond the front wall of the building (the building line) and still remain exempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 arcon

RKQ wrote: »
    Check out these pages:

You can build a porch without planning permission, as long as it does not exceed 2 square metres in area and is more than 2 metres from any public road or footpath.

above potentially can be misleading. not always this is the case. assumptions can be dangerous and very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

arcon wrote: »
    above potentially can be misleading. not always this is the case. assumptions can be dangerous and very expensive.
    Would you care to elaborate on that?

subject to planning permission conditions for house/estate and if the house is protected structure (i assume its not but..) one of my clients recently decided to change railings to the front of the house and removed some bushes and was asked to restore original state or pay 8 million euro.
    smashey wrote: »
    Would you care to elaborate on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Theres nothing misleading about a quote. I wish people would familiarise themselve with Planning Law before contradicting me.... A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!:cool:

Arcon I suggest you read the Government leaflet - its a direct quote.
    Please understand planning law before contradicting a "direct quote".

Chect out page 1, point 8 of PL 5 -Doing Work around the House –The Planning Issues
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Publication...ad,1586,en.pdf

• Advertisement

RKQ wrote: »
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!:cool:
    indeed it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You've said your piece arcon so leave it at that.

And please be careful with the wording of any future posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

subject to planning permission conditions for house/estate and if the house is protected structure (i assume its not but..) one of my clients recently decided to change railings to the front of the house and removed some bushes and was asked to restore original state or pay 8 million euro.
    To be honest, it was quite obvious that RKQ was refering to the limits imposed on front porches.
    And while you technically correct that they are not always, the sole conditions.
    The following.....
    .........only serves to create confusion.

The purpose of these posts is to help, generally the quicker and easier the better.
    Flagging every post that omitts even single iota of obscure info, yet not mentioning what the omission was, serves no purpose.

A far better, post would of been
    Bear in mind that there may be conditions attached to the housing estate that contravene normal law, and also the above doesn't apply to protected structures

You're dead right. I phrased it somewhat unfortunately. And
    Mellor wrote: »
    The purpose of these posts is to help, generally the quicker and easier the better.
    Bear in mind that there may be conditions attached to the housing estate that contravene normal law, and also the above doesn't apply to protected structures
    is much more down to it.
    Nonetheless I don’t agree that what RKQ wrote and referred to is obvious to everybody.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You're dead right. I phrased it somewhat unfortunately. And

is much more down to it.
    Nonetheless I don’t agree that what RKQ wrote and referred to is obvious to everybody.

What RKQ posted is what is applicable in the vast majority of cases, and entirely acceptable as an assumption as to it being the correct information to give the OP.
    Your 'addendum' to his post is applicable in the vast minority of cases, and can be considered an obscure assumption of the OPs case.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Your 'addendum' to his post is applicable in the vast minority of cases, and can be considered an obscure assumption of the OPs case.
    but 'vast majority of cases' can cost somebody in excess of 20000 euro.
    look, i've just wanted to point this out. i regret that i even mention it.
    i do not understand that hostility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

arcon, do you understand that re registering and creating another account is a site bannable offense?

You just cant help yourself can you?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sorry, i dont mean to be hostile at all....

i was just pointing out, to you, that what RKQ posted was 'applicable' to most... not 'obvious to everybody' as you posted.....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    sorry, i dont mean to be hostile at all....

i was just pointing out, to you, that what RKQ posted was 'applicable' to most... not 'obvious to everybody' as you posted.....

i just got that impression. not just from yourself but in general.
    'obvious to everybody' referred to mellor's post.
    muffler wrote: »
    arcon, do you understand that re registering and creating another account is a site bannable offense?

You just cant help yourself can you?

i do. and i know that you know that i know : ) . i appreciated advice about future posts : ). i got lots of help re my bike from people in boards.ie so figured i can help or make aware sb too. this situation with protected structure was unusual one but it cost somebody whole hip just to restore it to square one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be honest, I dont feel bad for the person with the protected structure.

If you are lucky or unlucky enough to own a protected structure. Then I was make sure I knew exactly what that meant. Even the most basic of research will show you are PS are almost never exempt for anything.*

*And please, nobody reply that this is wrong yada yads, PSs can be exempt. It might just be the outside etc.

Advertisement