Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sand in the lawn?

Options
  • 27-09-2008 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Is building sand any addition in the garden in terms of helping drainage etc. I was told in the past to create holes with a fork and drop sand in them. But I'm wondering does this really make any difference and does it make any difference what kinda sand is used. Ditto in flower beds etc. I've a bit of sand to use up and I'm wondering would it be useful in the garden.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Coarse sand is better or grit, builder's sand in small amounts is OK, but too much can cause problems for plants plus high such sand tends to have high levels of sodium.

Grits best for drainage.

There is also a lawn sand available, but if you must mix b-sand with compost 1:3 and backfill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

So probably best not to use it then. Ok.

Advertisement