Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

study

Options
  • 27-09-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey has any1 got gud tips on how to study??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's very vague! Any subjects in particular...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Pat2107 wrote: »
    Hey has any1 got gud tips on how to study??
    Do it? Learn it? Be able to write and say it? Just a few suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Read your textbook and the notes you've taken in class.
    Learn off those notes.
    Practice past exam questions.

Sounds pretty obvious, but unless you give more details we can't really say much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I'd say rather than study tips, one should add what allows you to study effectively.

I'd say the key ingredient to succesful study would be MOTIVATION. If you can find something that makes you want to work, and something to aim for and achieve, it allows you to behave in such a way that you'll want to do the work as you'll want the goal at the end. Motivation can be found in inspirational figures in your favorite field, the college course you may have decided at this stage...future aspirations that can only be achieved effectively through your academic performances.

Motivation can be difficult to find. Without it, study can become tedious, long-winded and won't seem worth the time. The more motivation to study you can find, the easier you'll be able to want to remember things, and this will aid effective study.

Once you have motivation, then it becomes a matter of building on the framework you've already contructed. It's different strategies for different subjects, here's a few ideas:

English
    - Read, read, read...not The Sun, but well read books that will improve your standard of English.
    - Join English forums - Write your own poems and short stories, post them up for feedback and also get feedback from your teacher.
    - Look at structure of answers, what's required in a comparative etc etc.

Maths
    - Practice EXAM PAPERS, Why? Because this is the standard you have to attain. If you can't do them, you're simply not at the right level. This means you look at the logic of the answer if you can't understand it, practice a similar type question on your own (Not necessarily an easy textbook version, challenge yourself!) and then in a month you can look back and say "I can do these exam questions", but an important point for any science based area is this:

- Success in one area of the subject that you work hard at will provide the framework and confidence to work on other areas of the course...so don't start with something challenging, lose confidence in the subject...and fail. Start small, and build up! Don't overwhelm yourself in doing too much, and getting out of it too little! Quality not Quantity!!

I'm briefly touching on various aspects of study here...another thing I'll touch on is study tools, not hammer and nails, but these:

- Use of Flashcards -> Very powerful tool for condensing large quantities into measurable packs of information.
    - Mnemonics, and Memorisation Tools
    - Posters, large colourful images, that stick in your head, a certain image like anatomy of the Digestive Tract, stick it on your door if you can't remember it. Constantly going through the same door will stick that image firmly in your head.
    - Make the material to be learned MEANINGFUL to you! How can this possibly be achieved? I'd say if your doing Business, watch the news, relate the two...because everyone I'd say watches or listens to News at some stage. You might relate the economic crisis with your Economics, so when reading something in the textbook, rather than Rota learning, understand the meaning and this will help you understand today. This type of reflection will make yourself believe it's actually worthwhile to learn.

- In relation to a Chapter of a textbook, how should one go about study, from what I've done, here is what I would personally do:
    1. Highlight the main areas and titles of the topic, familiarise yourself with the issue at hand.
    2. Start with each issue, read maybe twice the introduction, condense it into your OWN NOTES, not plaigarised from the book (it's too easy to do that, you have to think about it...thinking will re-enforce it and embed it in your long term memory). When you have your own notes, re-read them and make sure rather than writing notes for nothing, that you UNDERSTAND your own notes. If you don't, then your notes need to be improved, expanded or re-written!
    3. Do 40 Minute-50Minute study sessions, take a 5-10 minute break. At the start of the session, give yourself a REALISTIC GOAL to achieve to at the end, (not too little or not too ambitious), test yourself at the end. Take your break. Resume by testing yourself again until you KNOW IT!! If you don't know it, you'll forget it quickly and that 40 minutes becomes a waste. You can't afford to waste time, and it only takes a few minutes to test and re-enforce the material until you do know it, rather than waste another 40 minutes in the future. So be realistic and persevere with the testing.

Right, maybe I've ranted for a little too long, I could have written a lot more, hope it hlpes in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Study away from your comfort zone. I cant study at my house i end up picking up my guitar or for some reason giving a sh1t that the curtains havent been pulled are a certain way etc etc its alot easier to do it in a environment where there is nothing else to do but study.

• Advertisement
Advertisement