Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make my IP address look like I'm in a different country?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Not possible the companies who provide this get a list of ip addresses from the country's isp's(i read it somewhere).So you would have to have a uk/us isp to get these channels,the only way i read it was possible was to get a friend in those countries set up a kind of vpn(or some kind of server) with you and then you can access it through his pc,this how ever is illegal!

Sorry my answer im sure it quiet bad :pac:
    But it gets the point across

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

ricky91t wrote: »
    the only way i read it was possible was to get a friend in those countries set up a kind of vpn(or some kind of server) with you and then you can access it through his pc,this how ever is illegal!

Faking the IP address surely isn't illegal (would be something akin to turning off your caller ID sending)?
    Do you mean accessing the content in another marketplace is illegal?

Samson wrote: »
    Faking the IP address surely isn't illegal (would be something akin to turning off your caller ID sending)?
    Do you mean accessing the content in another marketplace is illegal?

No i' sure you can change your ip address but the server on which the software is based still wont recognize it

I was saying its illegal if you got a friend* to set up his pc as a server and you accessed the video through that

*he'd had to live in the same country as the site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I've been trying to watch certain programs on British and American TV network sites, for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cq4w4?src=a_syn11
    http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/categories/season-5/698505/

But, I am getting a message on each saying I cannot view that content in my location.
    Any recommendations for a free and simple utility that can fake my IP address so that I can access this content?

You need to use a proxy server in the uk for this, (or USA for NBC/SciFi etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I was saying its illegal if you got a friend* to set up his pc as a server and you accessed the video through that

Actually it would not be illegal for the op to do this, (might be illegal for the friend)

• Advertisement

Actually it would not be illegal for the op to do this, (might be illegal for the friend)

Yeah thats what i mean im sure his friend won't be his friend after doing this!Afaik proxies don't work as they aren't listed on the ip database

Edit:And is it illegal for the friend as he is broadcasting copyrighted material to countries outside of the copyright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Edit:And is it illegal for the friend as he is broadcasting copyrighted material to countries outside of the copyright

Allowing someone to access the internet via your computer/network is not the same as broadcasting. I'd like to see you quote legislation that shows this to be illegal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

You need to use a proxy server in the uk for this, (or USA for NBC/SciFi etc)

How easy is it to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I've been trying to watch certain programs on British and American TV network sites, for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cq4w4?src=a_syn11
    http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/categories/season-5/698505/

But, I am getting a message on each saying I cannot view that content in my location.
    Any recommendations for a free and simple utility that can fake my IP address so that I can access this content?

You need a proxy server based in either the US or UK although this could be rather slow for the purposes of streaming content.
    Not possible the companies who provide this get a list of ip addresses from the country's isp's(i read it somewhere).So you would have to have a uk/us isp to get these channels,the only way i read it was possible was to get a friend in those countries set up a kind of vpn(or some kind of server) with you and then you can access it through his pc,this how ever is illegal!

Sorry my answer im sure it quiet bad :pac:
    But it gets the point across

IP addresses aren't necessarily geographically related, e.g. at work I access the web through a Swedish proxy but I'm based in Ireland. Now a lot of websites I go to think I'm based in Sweden which can be a slgiht pain at times.
    No i' sure you can change your ip address but the server on which the software is based still wont recognize it

*he'd had to live in the same country as the site
    FruitLover wrote: »
    Allowing someone to access the internet via your computer/network is not the same as broadcasting. I'd like to see you quote legislation that shows this to be illegal.
    Yeah thats what i mean im sure his friend won't be his friend after doing this!Afaik proxies don't work as they aren't listed on the ip database

^^^^ we shouldn't really be offering legal advice on the forum either. There's a good reason why it's not allowed in the Legal Discussion forum and indeed site wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

You could try TOR (the onion router)...AFIK it works best with Mozilla... But you wont know what country its setting you up in each time .. you'd have to kkep checking till you hit the U.S. or what ever...mostly used to hide a traceable Ip.. but may work in this case..worth a shot anyway..maybe some of the experts here have some experience..and could shed some light..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

Cat5 wrote: »
    You could try TOR (the onion router)...AFIK it works best with Mozilla... But you wont know what country its setting you up in each time .. you'd have to kkep checking till you hit the U.S. or what ever...mostly used to hide a traceable Ip.. but may work in this case..worth a shot anyway..maybe some of the experts here have some experience..and could shed some light..:)

Will this work to watch the BBC player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Start a new thread and don't dig up one that hasn't been posted on since 2009.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement