Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which speed test to use???

• 27-09-2008 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭

Yet agaiin I'm my internet is pathetically slow thanks to Clearwire. (I would change providers but am moving abroad soon so don't want to be stuck with a 12 month contract)

Anyway, I've been using the speed test on www.irishisptest.com and getting download speeds of between 5 and 40 kbps and upload speeds of around the same and sometimes not registering at all as it just gives "???"

But if I use the test Clearwire suggests, www.speedtest.net, (they say irishisptest.com is "unreliable") I'm getting download speeds of around 500 and upload speeds of around 100, which is what it is usually. But the internet is sooo slow and on the other hand, occasionally it gives much slower download speeds and upload speed seems not to register anything at all and the test stalls and never completes. I'm no expert and totally confused!

So can anyone tell me if either site is the one I should use or is there any others?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Magnet's or Smart Telecom's speedtester tend to be the most reliable. The only real way of measuring actual download though is to download a bit of a large file like this (from Heanet) and leave it a few seconds to settle down and it will show you how fast your connection is passing data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Irish isp test is the most accurate of the two IMHO.

Clearwire were talking bullsh.t

Irish isp test is the most accurate of the two IMHO.

Clearwire were talking bullsh.t

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

i'm with upc/ntl/chorus and the tech support insist on www.speedtest.net.
    at this very moment i can't connect to anything. it took me about 10 network timeouts to get to this page and i could connect to speedtest straight away and got a fairly good reading. i then went thru my favourites and clicked on them randomly to see hpw long it took to connect. lots of times outs, images taking forever to load etc but speedtest no probs.
    how much effort would it take for an isp to pay for favourable results from the speedtest sites. upc are a big company they might even own speedtest.

Speedtest.net is owned by ookla net metrics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the replies! :)

Have just done 4 speed tests on 4 different sites and got very different results!

www.irishisptest.com - download 35, upload 38

www.speedtest.net - download 206, upload 25

www.speedtest.magnet.ie/ - download 265, upload 71

www.speedtest.smarttelecom.ie/ - download 399 - upload 167

:eek::eek::eek:

Internet still so slow I would have to think that irishisptest could be about right. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

sudzs wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! :)

Have just done 4 speed tests on 4 different sites and got very different results!

www.irishisptest.com - download 35, upload 38

www.speedtest.net - download 206, upload 25

www.speedtest.magnet.ie/ - download 265, upload 71

www.speedtest.smarttelecom.ie/ - download 399 - upload 167

:eek::eek::eek:

Internet still so slow I would have to think that irishisptest could be about right. :mad:

I prefer www.irishisptest.com - works for me nicely, if I don't like the figures I "repair" my network connection and then restart the router, kicks my figures back to normal :):)

supervixen wrote: »
    I prefer www.irishisptest.com - works for me nicely, if I don't like the figures I "repair" my network connection and then restart the router, kicks my figures back to normal :):)

Oh I'll try that! But how do I restart the router?? Thanks! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sudzs wrote: »
    Oh I'll try that! But how do I restart the router?? Thanks! :)

turn it off turn it back on ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you can not be guaranteed that any of them are accurate.

Download a large file from ftp.esat.net or ftp.heanet.ie and record the speed,this will be an accurate measurement of your download capacity at that moment in time.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    turn it off turn it back on ;)

LOL! Thanks! :o

I tried that thing with downloading a large file and I'm getting a stunning 55 kbps. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

http://www.speedtest.magnet.ie would be my choice. It seems to be accurate with my IBB conection.

Advertisement