Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Level Maths

Options
  • 27-09-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Just a quick question...

I did foundation level Maths for the junior cert after doing higher level for 2 and a half years. Basically I just don't get maths at all. I'm not bad in school and do a lot of higher level subjects but I just don't understand maths.

I'm just wondering if I did foundation level maths for the leaving cert would this hold me back a lot?

The other alternative is to get grinds and try and scrape a pass in ordinary level but I'm not sure if I could even manage that.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

ilcaptiano wrote: »

I'm just wondering if I did foundation level maths for the leaving cert would this hold me back a lot?
    Short answer=Yes definitly.

Most colleges look for at least a D3 in OL at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

ilcaptiano wrote: »

It depends. Do you want to do a third level course? What job/career do you want? An Ordinary level pass would, in most cases, be strongly advisable.
    I'd personally recommend grinds and a bit more effort. You'll end up with more options even if it's just a scraped pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ilcaptiano

Karoma wrote: »
    It depends. Do you want to do a third level course? What job/career do you want? An Ordinary level pass would, in most cases, be strongly advisable.
    I'd personally recommend grinds and a bit more effort. You'll end up with more options even if it's just a scraped pass.

I was hopping for journalism as English is my best subject and I really enjoy it. If not that then probably sports management .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seriously, if you plan to go to 3rd level you need OL maths at a minimum.
    Foundation maths just isn't considered good enough at that level.

Off the top of the head, I know DCU run a well respected course and they require:
    Grade D3 in Four Ordinary or Higher level subjects including Mathematics
    http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=JR&degree_description=B.A.+in+Journalism+%28Bachelor+Honours+Degree%29

For journalism you need work experience too. Go talk to your local paper if you haven't done this already, good luck!
    Oh, and local radio has many opportunities too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I can't understand how you can't even manage ordinary level? If you are coping alright with your higher level subjects, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to pass ordinary level. Get a few grinds and work hard. You'll be grand. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

A foundation subject really doesnt look great on a cv either, best advice would be to try get grinds or put more work into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Definitely do OL. A D3 minimum at pass really should not be that hard to achieve if you put in enough effort.
    Grinds may be helpful also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you managed 2 1/2 years of Honours maths at JC level, Pass maths at LC level should be doable, you might just need a few grinds to cover the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ilcaptiano

Cheers for all the advice.

I think I would really need to start at the basics again, would this be unusual to a grinds teacher?

Anyone know a good/person place for grinds? I live in meath but somewhere/someone in town would be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Check the grinds thread that is stickied at the top of the forum and you might find someone suitable. I'd say grinds teachers come across all sorts, from people wanting a little push to get them to an A1 standard, to people in desperate need of a pass, so don't worry about that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement