Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets - spoilers ahead

Options
  • 27-09-2008 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hey. I just bought Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. I missed out on the Wire, created by this author. I didnt fancy watching 5 seasons to catch up, so I bought this book, which was wrote by the author.

however, i just googled a review, and the reviewer left in a massive spoiler,
    the main murder is never solved and the killer never found
    .This book is like 800 pages long, I dont want to get into it, knowing this. Has anyone read this, will this be like watching the usual suspects knowing that
    Kevin Spacey is Keisar Socey

Urrrggghhh poxy poxy reviewer. Send him hate mail. Spoilers in website below.
    http://living.scotsman.com/books/Book-review-Homicide-A-Year.4513512.jp

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's not a major spoiler!

It's important to remember that these are real events whereas "The Wire" is fictional. "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets" is based on David Simon's time spent with the local law enforcement whilst working for the Baltimore Sun. It chronicles the trials of multiple members of the night and day shifts of the homicide squad and it's not solely focused on any one story. Investigations are ongoing and it's as much about the mindset of the police as anything as it's told from their POV since Simon couldn't really know the victim or their families story.

Sure he's obviously taking a small bit of artistic license as he makes their dealings into a narrative, but it's still real which goes towards explaining the spoiler below (it's something also worked into the TV adaptation - "Homicide: Life on the Street").

I'm reading the book currently myself and would definitely recommend you read it - there's far far more to the book than just one case and it's a great inside view into how the homicide unit works and the difficulties they face. I'd then recommend you watch "The Wire" also as it's completely unrelated and a great show!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I also bought this book on the basis that it comes from the same source as the Wire, which is definitely one of my favourite TV shows. It's on top of my "To Read" pile though - haven't gotten around to it yet.

Advertisement