Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about SIMs and 3G

• 27-09-2008 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

At the moment I have a Nokia 6300 on Meteor. Naturally I have a SIM (not a USIM) but I was thinking of buying a 3G phone. The issue is that the phone I want to get isn't available on Meteor (and I'm very happy with Meteor).

So I was wondering, if I got it off eBay (for example) would I need to get a USIM for the phone to be able to connect to the UMTS network?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

At the moment I have a Nokia 6300 on Meteor. Naturally I have a SIM (not a USIM) but I was thinking of buying a 3G phone. The issue is that the phone I want to get isn't available on Meteor (and I'm very happy with Meteor).

So I was wondering, if I got it off eBay (for example) would I need to get a USIM for the phone to be able to connect to the UMTS network?

No you won't. The requirement for a USIM is generally network dependent and not handset dependent.

What handset were you looking at getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Cool thanks. I normally would just test a phone for questions like this but everyone who has a 3G phone who I know is Vodafone (and locked).

The phones I'm looking at are Nokia 5610 and 5320.

Advertisement