Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Comedy Night

Options
  • 27-09-2008 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

This idea has been floated about a bit in here before so I'mjust gonna throw this up here and see who is interested.

I'm looking into setting up a boards comedy night (thinking sometime around the end of November so it fits in between Halloween and Christmas). The idea is for boards comedians to do a gig for the rest of the folks on boards who wanna show up. I know we have a bunch of comedians on here who have been doing it for a while and we also have a bunch of people who would be interested in trying stand-up but are worried out getting up in front of a room-full of strangers. This could be a handy way for those people to get over their first-time nerves since it would be a receptive and supportive crowd.

So who would be interested in getting involved and doing the gig? Like I said, I know there are plenty of comedians on here so spaces are limited and there won't be space for everybody, and I'll be keeping a balence between newbies and people who have been at it a while, but if this one goes well then maybe we could do another one and people who don't make it into ths one would be first in line for that one.

We could make it a regular thing, like the way other forums have regular beers, we could have regular gigs.

So, who's interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i think this is a great idea man! i'm defo in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

i'd be a newbie but been considering giving a go for a while - if you can give a date id cerainly look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I think this could be a very big night ,I look forward to see how it develops

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ah shure, Id give ya 5mins if ya wanted.

Its a good idea, especially the giving boardsies who havent done a gig yet a chance bit.

I know the perfect MC too. Forget his name though, wears a leather jacket.. Gary something or other..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

May I make a suggestion and we organise a beers night in the Noc etc for the venue on the night? Make it something unusual for a beers, and also get a decent crowd for the funny men?

Regardless, anything I can do to help, other than sexing up orestes again, I will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

SDooM wrote: »
    May I make a suggestion and we organise a beers night in the Noc etc for the venue on the night? Make it something unusual for a beers, and also get a decent crowd for the funny men?

Regardless, anything I can do to help, other than sexing up orestes again, I will do.

The thought did cross my mind dude but I don't want it just to be a nocturnal event, although I know better than anyone that the nocturnal events are open to everybody and welcome all comers. I don't wanna associate it with just one forum if you know what I mean?

And it's my turn to se you up this time, fair is fair

orestes wrote: »
    The thought did cross my mind dude but I don't want it just to be a nocturnal event, although I know better than anyone that the nocturnal events are open to everybody and welcome all comers. I don't wanna associate it with just one forum if you know what I mean?

And it's my turn to se you up this time, fair is fair

Just using the Nocturnal forum as an example as it's obviously the easiest one for you to organise, BGRH and tLL would be other obvious ones if the various moderazis agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i think doin it this way is the best and mention it in the other forums without makin it an official beers anywer! (except here :p)

SDooM wrote: »
    Just using the Nocturnal forum as an example as it's obviously the easiest one for you to organise, BGRH and tLL would be other obvious ones if the various moderazis agreed.

Good point, and the social fora would be obvious choices I agree. Was thinking that announcements would do that though and the people from the forums would all get involved and come here and maybe start threads in their own fora if a bunch of people from there are going. Kinda like the way things work for a Boards Beers, but I might be having delusions of grandeur on that one I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Count me in. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Hey, sounds like a good idea. I can do a set if you want, I'm a newbie. Have only done about 120 gigs, so vicar street is another few years away.

Any ideas of venue yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

I'm doing this also, I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hang on, limited numbers yet you want to get prolyl the fastest growing fora on boards to come as well?

Make up yer mind Gaz :p

It's either a beers or a comedy night. boardsies dont do a few quiet pints like...not in numbers anyway.

imo

squidgey wrote: »
    Hey, sounds like a good idea. I can do a set if you want, I'm a newbie. Have only done about 120 gigs, so vicar street is another few years away.

Any ideas of venue yet?

You can't come. I fear you. :)

Kai, I think the limited numbers thing is for performers, not for attendees.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

I'm in.

The numbers limit thing is about performers like Doom said, as far as as attendees are concerned the more the merrier!

Could all of the people who posted in here about performing please pm me their details (name, gigs done, etc.) it would be a great help to me wi regards to finding a balance for the gig.

No confirmation on a venue yet, I'm still at the stage of seeing if we have enough comics interested for this to go ahead, but it looks like we do so I'll get to work on phase two now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was wondering, should the boardsie comics be referred to by their boards IDs or their stage names?

Galvasean wrote: »
    I was wondering, should the boardsie comics be referred to by their boards IDs or their stage names?

That would be up to each comedian depending on their personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

I'd defo be interested I'm new to the comedy scene as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Scourge 1980

Hey. Im a stand-up based in Dublin. I would love to join your comedy night. You can count on me. Ill leave no comrad behind!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Hey. Im a stand-up based in Dublin. I would love to join your comedy night. You can count on me. Ill leave no comrad behind!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm afraid all the spots have been filled. You are top of the list in case someone who is already booked in can't make it on the date of the gig (still to be announced so we will see what happens) and if that doesn't happen I promise you are top of the list for the next one we do

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is a great idea. I hope it goes ahead. I'd be interested in seeing it. :cool:

This is a great idea. I hope it goes ahead. I'd be interested in seeing it. :cool:

It's going ahead alright, tis all set up. Details shall be announced shortly. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

Will be there for the clapping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭magicass

Did this ever happen? If it did was it any good?

Yup. Check out the boardscasts forum to listen to the gig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Here's a link for those of you too lazy to go find it. :p

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055436595

Advertisement