Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

I need a nerd......(US purchase question)

• 27-09-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hope some knowledgable person can help me out here....I'm looking to buy a new car stereo at the minute and could order the model I'm looking at for about half the price from the US but I don't know if there are any drawbacks. I know that there's the obvious question of tax etc, but it's still a great saving.

The features would include FM/AM stereo radio, CD Player, Bluetooth handsfree calling and Ipod direct control, other features would be internally effective so not concerned about those. The only other thing is obviously the wiring. So - is there any significant difference between such devices in the US versus EU that could render this useless?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Probably best asked or moved to the Motors forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

No ISO connectors, FM step range is 100Hz instead of 50Hz so you will not get all the stations.
    The ISO connectors is the big thing, you will need a pro to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

ongarite wrote: »
    No ISO connectors, FM step range is 100Hz instead of 50Hz so you will not get all the stations.
    The ISO connectors is the big thing, you will need a pro to fit it.

Thanks mate, the ISO wiring is an issue alright, but there are adapters out there. The step range is more of a permanent issue I think, a little more research on this suggests that it's odd increments that the US radios go in (so 88.1, 88.3, 88.5....107.9). Too many stations around here broadcasting on even numbered frequencies for this to be worth it.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Probably best asked or moved to the Motors forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Thanks Eddie - it was more the radio/cd/bluetooth etc I was worried about - this was kind of a compromise short of posting on motors, here, mobiles etc.

Advertisement