Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEED HELP CAN ANY1 HOST AN ONLINE SHOP FOR ME

Options
  • 27-09-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

HEY IM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO DESIGN AND host an online shoping cart /website i have a cubecart shop at the moment but its crap

can any1 point me to the right company

im not looking to spend a hudge amount of money either

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

hostings company talk .. not allowed on here.

Advertising work .. go over to adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭gnomer

tom1979 wrote: »

A hudge?

An iron bucket amount of money? Well thats a lot of cash! :)

On a serious note, hostgator are a good cheap host (however I think they practice overselling) but they wont design your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Don't go for shared hosting for a online shop. A VPS/Private/Co-located server hosting is seen as much more secure(and thats what matters to the customer).

Also(i think forbairt will agree with me on this one), as for the shopping cart, look into using Magento for it, million times better than cube cart. The only reason cubecart are better is because they have everyone sucking up to them because of their affiliate scheme.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Or cut out bloat and develop a cart to their exact needs. No? Seems a lazy mans way out just buying software thats often full of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Sully wrote: »
    Or cut out bloat and develop a cart to their exact needs. No? Seems a lazy mans way out just buying software thats often full of crap.
    I find it much easier to get a proper shopping system full of features and disable whatever you don't need. Even if I could develop my own shopping cart in the next month, it would still be full of security holes, glitches, and what-not. It's much easier to stick proper, developed, tested software into place, and then pay someone to theme it.

Sure, Komplett and Play.com, and a few other odd ones here and there have such a high turnover going through their systems, they need to develop a 'perfect' one for themselves, but unless i was doing over 5million in turnover every year, i wouldn't bother paying dozens of thousands of euro to a web dev company for the exact same, if not less, than i could just get open source web applications to do the same job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fair enough. We have developed a basic CMS and a shopping cart system for clients in the past, which has been checked for security issues and given the all clear. I think a lot of people have mixed ways of doing things - some custom, some grabbing premade software. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

tom1979 wrote: »
    can any1 point me to the right company
    Depends on what you consider the "right" company, particularly when you added
    Aside from the mile-wide question of what a "huge" amount is (for example, Bertie Ahern and I would have different opinions on that), you generally get what you pay for. Lower budget = less features in the end result, and while there are lots of decent "basic" results that you can achieve, it would be difficult for a worthwhile company to pitch for that contract based on that outline....

1) I have a basic one and don't like it
    2) I want a company to do it cheaply

It'll depend on LOADS of things:
    1) Number of products & categories
    2) Search facilities
    3) Pricing options
    4) P&P options
    5) Credit card authorisation & possible callbacks
    6) Level of "integration" into your own site

If you genuinely want to do all that and get a decent result then there's no real scope for skimping on price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 littlegreenman

Go Magento and shop around.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Go Magento and shop around.

Check the dates on the post, im sure hes got something sorted by now :rolleyes::D

Advertisement