Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Training?

Options
  • 27-09-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

How do you guys manage to get any decent rides in during the dark months?
    Apart from the weekends, I can't see how you fit it in?
    Do you ride in the dark lit up like a christmas tree? If so where?
    Or is it all turbos?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

ah the joys of not having a job

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

pmg001 wrote: »
    How do you guys manage to get any decent rides in during the dark months?
    Apart from the weekends, I can't see how you fit it in?
    Do you ride in the dark lit up like a christmas tree? If so where?
    Or is it all turbos?

Cheers!

I use my commute time to work. Some days, I'll get up early and do a good session before work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I plan on lighting myself up like an Xmas tree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I work shifts, problem solved.
    commute on bike to work all week on day shift.
    get 2 good long spins on Tue and Thur before work on evening shift

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's possible to get an hour or so in before work if you're organised. Mostly though I ride in the dark with a good set of lights. Don't go to Wicklow and tend to stick to the Northside, around Howth etc. Have resisted the temptation to buy a turbo trainer so far. They can be very boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

100km up the Wicklow mountains before work for me, I only start at 10am so it works out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pmg001

I plan on lighting myself up like an Xmas tree

PeadarofAodh - ucd sculling supremo??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

el tonto wrote: »
    Have resisted the temptation to buy a turbo trainer so far. They can be very boring.

Dead right. I bought one of these last year and used it once. Boring as hell so sold it on and went and got good winter cycling gear. Far better off IMO.

And yeah, lit up like a christmas tree and taking a bit more of the road than I otherwise might is how I do it

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Dead right. I bought one of these last year and used it once. Boring as hell so sold it on and went and got good winter cycling gear. Far better off IMO.

And yeah, lit up like a christmas tree and taking a bit more of the road than I otherwise might is how I do it

Have a crosstrainer/ bike combo that I bought on Ebay for the really impossible nights( high winds and rain) , yeah agreed , boring as hell but better than nothing . But usually head for a well lit up road ( in waterford's case the outer ring road does the job ) and traverse it over and back a few times . Lit up like a christmas tree myself , 3 front lights , 2 rear and helmet light front and back ! Cost a fortune on batteries but what the hell ....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

I'll have to be getting a turbo trainer myself due to a hand injury.I'm going to be living in a flat with other students so will need a silent one.Does anyone know of a silent turbo trainer,preferably cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

the tacx satori is the most silent out of their range. not too sure bout anything else. btw its not that silent, but the soft gel helps i believe.

ba wrote: »
    the tacx satori is the most silent out of their range. not too sure bout anything else. btw its not that silent, but the soft gel helps i believe.

coolio,have you used it?Would it wake you up if you were in the next room?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I've got a Tacx Serius and whilst it's so quiet it wouldn't wake anybody up, the sound of my panting when I'm using it would deeply disturb them.

:eek:

Redjeep! wrote: »
    I've got a Tacx Serius and whilst it's so quiet it wouldn't wake anybody up, the sound of my panting when I'm using it would deeply disturb them.

:eek:

Cool,do you mean this one?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tacx/sirus-soft-gel-t1435-turbo-trainer-ec006994

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Yeah, that's the one, but I bought it from Chainreaction and it was £20 less and was delivered the next working day, which I thought was impressive.

Now, one thing to be careful of is that although the unit is quiet, whether it wakes anybody up is dependent upon a lot of other factors like how quiet your house is at night, how well insulated the walls are and how heavy a sleeper the person in the next room is etc.

As well as the sound that the unit makes, there's the noise from your bike, your beathing and there's probably some rumble from the unit that may pass through the floorboards (put it on a rubber mat).

Unfortunately the only way you're going to know for sure is to try it and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Bought a turbo trainer about 4 weeks ago, have to say i found it very good. Be prepared to sweat like hell

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

This turbo trainer on Gumtree might be of interest to someone.

Advertisement