Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unaccompanied Provisional Driver..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭SeanW

TheNog wrote: »
    I would also encourage you to display your L plates if you do decide to drive alone.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

If a learner driver is stopped say for speeding and are not displaying L plates it could be seen as that driver trying to deceive Gardai. It would not be looked on approvingly. Better to be up front and honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Personally I drive around on my own with my L plates up. Been doing since I started (about 6 months ago), albeit it legally before July as I had a 2nd provisional. I make sure not to drive down 'Garda Hotspot' roads. Just my own personal experience, not saying you should do the same.

Hoping to pass soon so I can give up worrying about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What's silly is your parents buying you a car in the first place, when you haven't even got a full license. Your parents sgould be ashamed of themselves.

I usually wouldn't usually be one to be on the bad side of the law.. However I don't think I will obey this rule.. Without sounding bratty ..its impossible to expect a teenager to have his/her own car in the drive-way and not drive it alone for at least 6 months and thats if they pass the driving test! Although I dont agree with really unexperienced L-drivers being on the road.. thats just silly.

This predicament suggests another question...

Should one take the risk of a possible extra 1000€ and take those L-plates down to reduce risk of being stopped in the first place?

What are your opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What's silly is your parents buying you a car in the first place
    Where did he say his parents bought the car? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1, and even if they did, it would be no business of yours to comment on his parents reasoning behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

What's silly is your parents buying you a car in the first place, when you haven't even got a full license. Your parents sgould be ashamed of themselves.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I got my learners permit in January 2008, starteed driving in March and got my license in August.

I still honestly believe anybody caught driving without a full license driver and/or without L plates deserves the full brunt of the law upon them...you haven't proven your able to drive on your own yet so you shouldn't be! simple as.

We all know the new law sucks, hell it affected me but its the law for a reason and its in the interest of your safety and more importantly everyone elses.

He wasn't putting an argument about teenager having and car and not driving it, unless he had his own personal motivation for it. Maybe he bought it with his own money. I serious doubt it, if he can come up with an argument like that.
    +1, and even if they did, it would be no business of yours to comment on his parents reasoning behind it.

I am just as entitled to my opinion as the next person like it or not. Some parent let there kids smoke it doesn't make it right.
    TheNog wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

He wasn't putting an argument about teenager having and car and not driving it, unless he had his own personal motivation for it. Maybe he bought it with his own money. I serious doubt it, if he can come up with an argument like that.
    Now you are just making yourself appear even more ridiculous!
    I am just as entitled to my opinion as the next person like it or not
    Not here you're not! boards.ie is a publicly accessed but privately owned and privately operated forum. You have no entitlements here. You are off topic and giving an opinion on an incorrect assumption is a bit silly.

• Advertisement

Now you are just making yourself appear even more ridiculous!

Not here you're not! boards.ie is a publicly accessed but privately owned and privately operated forum. You have no entitlements here. You are off topic and giving an opinion on an incorrect assumption is a bit silly.

Okay let just let this one go eh. I realise I went off topic entering into an aside with someone who was not the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I have a Provisional Licence and will drive unaccompanied. I know its against the law but i have no full licenced driver to accompany me. I need my car for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've said this before. Driving is a privilage, not a right. Just because your job requires a car to get to is not an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Please correct me if I'm wrong but you are a young male who has just passed the theory test and have yet to obtain a Learner Permit yet you seem to consider yourself to be a bit of an expert in the field. Young males are slaughtered on our roads each week. I'm sure many of them think they are experienced drivers and that they are good drivers.

You haven't legally driven a car on a public road yet but appear to presume that you will be competent. I've been driving for over 20 years but I'm still learning and don't consider myself to be a particularly good driver.

Remember, experience itself isn't important - learning from experience is!

I totally agree with you, the attitude you are responding to scares me.

Morgans wrote: »
    There is no evidence that its learner drivers causing fatal crashes, .

The thing is loads of those young male drivers do have a full licence but the fearless attitude they have makes them more dangerous than a lot of learners.

My instructor says that it's those young males who have very little trouble passing a test who are the most dangerous on the roads.

I drive on my own sometimes, I don't have an accompanied driver and I need more practice than 1 hour a week with an instructor. I definitely don't think I'm brilliant but I have a test booked. According to the instructor my skills are much better than my confidence.

I hate it when arrogant young male drivers beep at me if I'm being a bit slow at a roundabout or junction. The older more experienced drivers who would have more right to be beeping never do.

I have my L plates up and have never come across a checkpoint.

sunnyside wrote: »
    The thing is loads of those young male drivers do have a full licence but the fearless attitude they have makes them more dangerous than a lot of learners.

My instructor says that it's those young males who have very little trouble passing a test who are the most dangerous on the roads
    Yes, your instructor is correct. Young males have a greater chance of passing the (category B) driving test than any other segment of drivers but, sadly, are the most likely to be killed on our roads.

Advertisement