Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

has it abs

Options
  • 27-09-2008 9:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

would a 2002 peugeot 307 xt have abs brakes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There should be an ABS check light on the dashboard. When you turn the ignition on the ABS light comes on for a short time while the ECU checks the system.

Fitting ABS was made a requirement on all new cars from around 2004.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

just wondering because i jammed the brakes just to see how effective they were on loose stones on the lane in the farm and its like one wheel locked. mind it was only for about a second because i was doing about 2mph. the dashboard dosnt say anything about abs. there is this symbol alrite like a car swerving so maby thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

locked wheel = no abs - you would have felt the kick back through the brake pedal too

look under the bonnet for the abs pump - will have 4 thin metal pipes coming out of it - not there then no abs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

thanks ill have a look tomorrow. prob wont see anything though with all the plastic covering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The car swerving symbol is probably traction control, not ABS.

The ABS symbol should look like this on the dash:

abs-light.jpg

It should only light up for a few seconds when the car is started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

just wondering because i jammed the brakes just to see how effective they were on loose stones on the lane in the farm and its like one wheel locked. mind it was only for about a second because i was doing about 2mph. the dashboard dosnt say anything about abs. there is this symbol alrite like a car swerving so maby thats it.

ABS won't work at speeds that low, the wheels will just lock.
    Find a closed road or long driveway and hit the brakes from a higher speed, wet surface would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Neilw wrote: »
    Find a closed road or long driveway and hit the brakes from a higher speed, wet surface would be better.
    No, a wet surface would not be better! WTF?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

+1 to that bar the wet surface.

My brother took me out one day in he's golf and told me to hit the breaks, I got a little shock from the pedal pushing up and straight away took my foot off. Supposably thats a common doing with people who use abs for the first time. So if you car has abs, I would suggest get knowing with it.

esel wrote: »

Why would a wet surface not be better, it would be easier to trigger the ABS if the road was wet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yes it does, it should kick in whenever the wheels loose traction with the road surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

from experience that's half true - on my car the abs does not become active until the car has passed 6mph - but once active it stays active

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

All ABS systems require a set speed to be passed before ABS is activated(usually around 6mph) also depending on the surface ie ice, wet concrete floor etc a wheel can lock almost instantly before ABS is triggered, should work on gravel though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Of course it would, thats exactly what ABS is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

would a 2002 peugeot 307 xt have abs brakes

My wifes 02 307 1.4HDI XS model has Abs so I would presume that your does?

Why would a wet surface not be better, it would be easier to trigger the ABS if the road was wet.
    What if the car does not have ABS?
    cjt156 wrote: »
    Of course it would, thats exactly what ABS is for!
    Exactly what ABS is for? ORLY?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Exactly what ABS is for? ORLY?

Stopping a car when the friction between the road and tyres is not quite what it should be. The most efficient stopping power can be achieved at exactly that point before the wheels lock, abs sets out to achieve this, as few mere mortals (myself incuded) have the skill to do it manually.

This page has comprehensive information on ABS http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

So if he wants to test his ABS would you advise him to do it at a relatively low speed on a wet road. Or at the higher speed necessary to induce a skid on a dry road. YA RLY

^ You don't seem to have grasped the fact that the OP is unsure whether he has ABS or not.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

^ You don't seem to have grasped the fact that the OP is unsure whether he has ABS or not.

Of course wet road is better. He will be able to find out whether he has abs or not by doing a quick step on the brakes at a low speed. say 30 mph.

So if he has abs, pedal will vibrate etc and no skid.
    If he doesnt have abs, he will get a skid at 30 mph which if done in a straight line will be perfectly safe.

mickdw wrote: »
    Of course wet road is better. He will be able to find out whether he has abs or not by doing a quick step on the brakes at a low speed. say 30 mph.

So if he has abs, pedal will vibrate etc and no skid.
    If he doesnt have abs, he will get a skid at 30 mph which if done in a straight line will be perfectly safe.

Exactly :)

Advertisement