Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50cc scooters

• 27-09-2008 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

Hi, just got a Honda x8rs rossi replica and wanted to know whats roughly the top speeds 50cc mopeds can do. Haven't gotten a chance to drive it yet waiting on insurance etc. I was thinking about 40 mile per hour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Probably between 40 and 50mph if you really push it.

Depends on engine though...is it a sports scooter yeah? If so then I'd imagine it'd be slightly faster than a normal one.

Some of the more experienced guys here would know more than I though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

Typically, 50cc scooters will have 2 or 3 restrictors on them from new. So obviously the top speed of your bike will depend on whether those restrictors are still in place or not.

One on the exhaust (looks like an extra bar sticking out of the side)
    Another is a thick washer that's on the pully system that is attached to the rear wheel...
    I've heard of another in the engine but don't know what it does or what it looks like!

Removing the exhaust one will give more power and torque thru till top speed. I would guess that this puts a bit more strain on the engine.

Removing the pully washer allows for a greater top speed. I would guess that the rev's stay the same so possibly no extra damage to the engine... (I would guess anyway!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I had a Derbi Atlantis a few years back and i could do about 40-50mph on it easily, and i'm about 18st lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hfox1

hi im after buying a 50cc scooter as a starter bike but I want to upgrade soon 30 miles would usually be as far as id go what would u recommend I buy next I wand a 125 cc but nothing madly expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hfox1 wrote: »
    hi im after buying a 50cc scooter as a starter bike but I want to upgrade soon 30 miles would usually be as far as id go what would u recommend I buy next I wand a 125 cc but nothing madly expensive

All depends how old you are, dictates which licence you can apply for, and the roads you'll usually travel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement