Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Trip...

• 27-09-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

Well I'm going on my first trip tomorrow!

I'm doing it alone but I'm well looking forward to it. I'm going to ride my Honda Innova from Cork City down to Kinsale. It's a 20 mile journey which for most on here is nothing but it'll be my longest ride on a bike ever!

Because the Innova is only a 125 step-through scooter (though I prefer to say motorbike cos the wheels are big and it ain't fully automatic), I'm going to try keep off dual-carriageways because the few times I have taken her out to 60mph on them it can get a little shaky if there's wind about. It is a very light bike after all.

Anyway is there anything I should look out for? I've only been riding properly a few days really but have covered a lot of miles and feel like biking is second nature. However it can't be obviously cos you've to keep your mind on safety at all costs...

Any tips on what to bring, wear etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Wear = All the gear all the time!

What to expect = If you are unable to or unwilling to go to the speed limit on roads, expect cars to do over takes. Which when they do it to a scooter/bike will more than likely be in the same lane.

What to do= Keep your widths about you. Biking is not second nature to you. It never will be. You are doing speed with nothing but your PPE your body and your brain to protect you. Treat all car drivers like they are out to get you. Sounds mean and unfriendly. But it will keep you safe. If you do get a chance to over take a car/truck or tractor and they pull in, give them a wave after you have passed and it is safe to do so. It promotes good motoring and can sometimes influence other car drivers to pull in and give you some space.

Advertisement