Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Nov 4th predictions, Ladies and Germs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

More bad news for McCain

Plain Trooper gate saga finally come back with an unfavourable outcome for Palin.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1011/uselection.html
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95627291&ft=1&f=1003
    http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/10/10/Report_Palin_abused_power_as_governor/UPI-59071223675055/
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/10/palin.investigation/index.html

McCain is now urging his supporters to be respectful of Obama after lies about Obama.

This is a huge U -turn by him especially what Palin said about Obama been associated with terrorists. McCain is now defending Obama integrity.
    CNN wrote:
    At a rally in Minnesota on Friday, a woman told McCain: "I don't trust Obama. I have read about him and he's an Arab."
    McCain shook his head and said, "No ma'am, no ma'am. He's a decent family man...[a] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues. That's what this campaign is all about."
    One man at the rally said he was "scared of an Obama presidency." McCain later told the man he should not fear Obama.
    "I want to be president of the United States, and I don't want Obama to be," he said. "But I have to tell you, I have to tell you, he is a decent person, and a person that you do not have to be scared as President of the United States."
    McCain's response was met with boos from the crowd.
    When asked about these outbursts, McCain campaign manager Rick Davis said that he didn't know who those people were and if they were there as supporters or to disrupt the rallies.

This might be to turnaround that McCain needed, to show Obama non-hating people that he (McCain) is a decent respectful man after all. He knows that Obama hating people will vote to prevent Obama becoming president. So the Presidency Race is not finished yet, so Alot can happen in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Doppler

Does it really matter which of the two of them wins?

Doppler wrote: »

I did not relies Ralph Nader was running again. I suppose he keeping up with tradition, he been there since 1992 in very Presidential election. The media kept his involvement quiet. I have not seen any polls with him in them. Somehow i can comfortably predict that he will not win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Doppler wrote: »

For a start snippets taken without any form of context prove nothing. Secondly its quite obvious this is as biased as any Republican or Democrat position and finally what is the problem with Nucleur Energy? Nader says they should use solar power rather than nucleur power, but they couldn't possibly get the same amount of power that way and implementing solar power solutions on any real large scale is an expensive business for such little return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

limklad wrote: »
    I did not relies Ralph Nader was running again. I suppose he keeping up with tradition, he been there since 1992 in very Presidential election. The media kept his involvement quiet. I have not seen any polls with him in them. Somehow i can comfortably predict that he will not win.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/obama_vs_mccain_with_barr_nader-957.html

• Advertisement

limklad wrote: »
    Plain Trooper gate saga finally come back with an unfavourable outcome for Palin.

This after the Republicans announced that their own investigation (:pac:) cleared her of any wrong doing!

As for the McCain supporters at that rally, well the report says it all. They are sad, pathetic and shameful individuals. Between this, the ad that McCain won the first debate that appeared the day before it even happened and all those Palin interviews all I can say is that if McCain were to win it would prove that there is something fundamentally wrong with America. They would be laughed out of it over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Not *really*.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

"I don't trust Obama. I have read about him and he's an Arab."
    McCain shook his head and said, "No ma'am, no ma'am. He's a decent family man.

Kinda racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I've been following the bookies odds on the election for the past six months or so - as I think they are a pretty good predictor (as my grandad used to say 'I never saw a bookie ridin' a bike').

It's been pretty much neck and neck (with generally a slight edge for Obama) - however in the last two weeks the odds have gone from Obama 4/5 Mc Cain 5/4 to Obama 1/7 Mc Cain 9/2.

It's President Obama folks - for sure.

Obama now 1/9 with Paddy Power

Kinda racist!
    Yes it was and McCain spoke out against it and defended Obama which changes things which will gain respect from undecided voters, which will make predications more difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Too little, too late. McCain's camp made a serious strategic error in going onto the smear campaign and opening up to this sort of thing. He's stepped back from it now, but I fear the damage is done.

NTM

Too little, too late. McCain's camp made a serious strategic error in going onto the smear campaign and opening up to this sort of thing. He's stepped back from it now, but I fear the damage is done.

NTM
    If I had a vote I would vote Obama.
    But what McCain did on last Friday was impressive. McCain did not link Obama as a terrorist, he Just attack Obama on policies. It was Palin and right-winged groups who did falsely link him to Terrorism. McCain did publicly discredited one of these groups views on Obama last Friday. He did it "Face to Face" with them and got Boo'ed off for doing so. It would probably be the First time in US Presidential history, that a group Booed off their preferred candidate for defending their opponent, and still those racial voters will vote him (McCain) in rather than let the other candidate (Obama) in as President. Here a CNN Video of McCain defence of Obama.

For undecided Voters, that was a show of strength was a huge risk taking measure which does reflect what the candidate would do as President. Today on the Irish Independent it was reported that Obama is trying to counter it and also showing his bipartisan credentials by saying he would hire McCain.
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/obama-offers-to-employ-mccain-1496633.html

I predict that polls will change by getting tighter (closer to neck and neck) next week and the campaign will definitely heat up as McCain have a lot of ground to make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Sand wrote: »
    Not *really*.

To the best of my recollection, this is the first time I’ve disagreed with Sand. One of the most important issues to me in this campaign is the type of individual the candidates would choose in Supreme Court picks when some of the justices retire. In this matter McCain and Obama are as different as night and day.

Ludo wrote: »

Barr - Another Candidate!!
    I can safely predict that He too won't win if nobody hear of him before now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

galwaydude wrote: »
    Lets hope for all our sakes. The campaign just seems to be getting nastier and nastier and less about politics by the day. I dont dislike McCain but he doesnt inspire confidence by his actions. We have had 8 years of bush and dont need another 4 of same ole same ole, god forbid palin will be president by 2012. That is one scarey thought.
    He's a good man, but like Bush I think he has displayed in as many days that he is just as susceptible to being used as a puppet. I somehow doubt it was his own idea to launch the Ayers attacks. At this stage I think the wolves can smell the incoherency in the McCain campaign. Fair play to the man for calling off the attacks though.

Had the attacks continued he may very well have won the election, but at the cost of splitting the country in half all over again, and quite probably an assassination attempt on Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

galwaydude wrote: »
    Lets hope for all our sakes. The campaign just seems to be getting nastier and nastier and less about politics by the day. I dont dislike McCain but he doesnt inspire confidence by his actions. We have had 8 years of bush and dont need another 4 of same ole same ole, god forbid palin will be president by 2012. That is one scarey thought.

icon14.gif

I'd agree with this poster. I don't dislike McCain as such it's just that if he wins the election Bush may as well have stayed on for another term as little or nothing would change much especially in the area of Foreign Policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

icon14.gif

I'd agree with this poster. I don't dislike McCain as such it's just that if he wins the election Bush may as well have stayed on for another term as little or nothing would change much especially in the area of Foreign Policy.

IMO the Republicians winning again would be a disaster for foreign policy and the prosperity of the US. Two terms of a Republican President has ended with near financial meltdown on a global scale,the biggest current account deficit in history and rising, 2 war fronts Iraq and Afghanistan, huge loss of life on all sides with massive budgets etc. I do not think that the US could continue to cope with any more Republican policies, let alone afford it. McCain is just too long in the tooth to deal with what it will take to put the US on a right footing and a more moderate less gung ho appproach is what is needed, Obama if elected may provide that or he may not, but whatever happens, more of the Republicans is the last thing needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    IMO the Republicians winning again would be a disaster for foreign policy and the prosperity of the US. Two terms of a Republican President has ended with near financial meltdown on a global scale,the biggest current account deficit in history and rising, 2 war fronts Iraq and Afghanistan, huge loss of life on all sides with massive budgets etc. I do not think that the US could continue to cope with any more Republican policies, let alone afford it. McCain is just too long in the tooth to deal with what it will take to put the US on a right footing and a more moderate less gung ho appproach is what is needed, Obama if elected may provide that or he may not, but whatever happens, more of the Republicans is the last thing needed.

Pretty much exactly how I feel, +1 there Mr. Micro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

To the best of my recollection, this is the first time I’ve disagreed with Sand. One of the most important issues to me in this campaign is the type of individual the candidates would choose in Supreme Court picks when some of the justices retire. In this matter McCain and Obama are as different as night and day.

I think even in that example the status quo will remain pretty much as is. They will be facing the same congress, face the same advice and the same general public mood. Obama in particular has raced towards the right as fast as his horse will carry him since winning the primaries, and he will be facing re-election in 4 years so hes likely to save the extremist stuff to the second term when he doesnt have to worry about what people think anymore.

I think, should Obama win, his term in office will prove underwhelming both for those believing their electing a messiah and those who believe hell be legislating for abortion up to 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Hell has indeed frozen over… I finally agree with something BlueLagoon says. This election should be between John McCain and Hillary Clinton.

why is that then?

• Advertisement

I think even in that example the status quo will remain pretty much as is. They will be facing the same congress, face the same advice and the same general public mood. Obama in particular has raced towards the right as fast as his horse will carry him since winning the primaries, and he will be facing re-election in 4 years so hes likely to save the extremist stuff to the second term when he doesnt have to worry about what people think anymore.

I think, should Obama win, his term in office will prove underwhelming both for those believing their electing a messiah and those who believe hell be legislating for abortion up to 12 months.

I agree whole-heartedly. In my mind he is the least worst candidate and not the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

why is that then?

At least then it would be between two candidates with some proven experience. What has Obama really accomplished besides a couple of good speeches?

So do you think Obama would nominate Hillary Clinton for Supreme Court... one sure way to get her off his back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

If this analysis were to become prevalent between now and the election then Obama would not win, the people who think he will change the world will get despondent and not bother voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    At least then it would be between two candidates with some proven experience. What has Obama really accomplished besides a couple of good speeches?
    That's funny, I remember I read you saying that Palin seemed destined for greatness(or something similar) after witnessing one of her speeches at a rally.

What has she achomplished besides a couple of good speeches (if you think, being hot, winking, and attacking obama is a good speech)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

What has she achomplished besides a couple of good speeches (if you think, being hot, winking, and attacking obama is a good speech)?

She has been mayor of a town and Governor of Alaska, which are fairly big jobs.

Also she is running for VP, which is a lesser position than president.

She has been mayor of a town and Governor of Alaska, which are fairly big jobs.

Also she is running for VP, which is a lesser position than president.

That wasn't what i was getting at. I was just pointing out the double standard in Pocono Joe believing that Palin is 'wired for greatness' after hearing her speak- a couple of days before asking what Obama has done besides speeches.

Edit: Also, the mayor of Wasilla (pop:5 thousand), followed by two years as governor of Alaska, are not big enough jobs to qualify you for even 'a lesser job' like VP. She needs to prove that she has sufficient understanding on the issues that are important in this election. Obama has, Biden has, and McCain has. I'm not so sure about her.

Edit2: Appealling to 'hockey moms', 'joe sixpacks', and 'maverick' lovers, are also not genuine qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭iwudluvit

That wasn't what i was getting at. I was just pointing out the double standard in Pocono Joe believing that Palin is 'wired for greatness' after hearing her speak- a couple of days before asking what Obama has done besides speeches.

Edit: Also, the mayor of Wasilla (pop:5 thousand), followed by two years as governor of Alaska, are not big enough jobs to qualify you for even 'a lesser job' like VP. She needs to prove that she has sufficient understanding on the issues that are important in this election. Obama has, Biden has, and McCain has. I'm not so sure about her.

Edit2: Appealling to 'hockey moms', 'joe sixpacks', and 'maverick' lovers, are also not genuine qualifications.

She's not running for secretary of defence or treasury or any other serious cabinet position. There are plenty of qualified people looking for those roles. Let's not lose sight of that.

Obama on the other hand is. And he's just a waffler.

iwudluvit wrote: »
    She's not running for secretary of defence or treasury or any other serious cabinet position. There are plenty of qualified people looking for those roles. Let's not lose sight of that.

McCain could be the one of(if not THE) oldest presidents, if elected.
    Do you not feel that, with his history of illness, whoever next in line should get some extra scrutiny?
    Do you not feel that, if McCain knows that there's a chance that he might not last the 4/8 years, he should've appointed someone that could provide people with the comfort that there is competent back up?.....or at the very least, someone that can name a newspaper.

iwudluvit wrote: »

Sorry, hang on now, can I just ask do you really think McCain is any better? I mean come on folks if there's one thing politicians in general do very well its waffle! Most, if not all, major politicians are 90% talk. Initially I was impressed by McCain, until he won his parties nomination. Then his campaign decided, purposefully and openly, that they would not fight this campaign on the issues. This, plus his "gutter politics" have turned me off him as a candidate as a whole.

And then his selection of Sarah "can't handle myself in an interview" Palin as VP finally confirmed what I had thought. It was a cynical attempt to get cheap press off the back of her gender. She is in no way qualified to be next in line for the biggest most powerful (and important) job in the world. John McCain has become what I most despise in politics - someone who will do anything and say anything to win. The attacks on Obama re the lipstick on a pig remark, "sex ed for kids policy" crap and his links to Bill Ayers the "terrorist pall" were disgraceful and blatantly untrue or twisted beyond all recognistion.

For all that I think Obama talks a good talk, but I really don't think it will amount to much. At the end of the day thought he hasn't done half as much as McCain has to earn my distain. After everything McCain has done thus far there would be something fundamentally wrong with the US as a whole if he were to get elected. He'd be laughed off the stage in most other parts of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

molloyjh wrote: »
    The attacks on Obama re the lipstick on a pig remark, "sex ed for kids policy" crap and his links to Bill Ayers the "terrorist pall" were disgraceful and blatantly untrue or twisted beyond all recognition.

On balance both camps have behaved badly especially where the country finds itself. I think the "lipstick on a pig" comment was extremely foolish and obvious to a child. He shouldn't have said it. But as Blue Lagoon observed some time back this is American idol and X-Factor all rolled into one.
    For all that I think Obama talks a good talk, but I really don't think it will amount to much. At the end of the day thought he hasn't done half as much as McCain has to earn my disdain. After everything McCain has done thus far there would be something fundamentally wrong with the US as a whole if he were to get elected. He'd be laughed off the stage in most other parts of the world.

Skilled orators tend to love the sound of their own voices and are prone to waffling. I have long been unconvinced by him and there is still no evidence that there is any walk to go with it. He is marginally the best of a fairly lousy bunch.

McCain lost his ability to campaign as a presidential candidate some time back. I don't hold that the Palin move was necessarily a bad one and he had a particular purpose in mind but it was not handled well. His own thoroughly unconvincing performance in the meantime, and the "misfortune" of the economic collapse, have meant him fading very badly. He may yet recover but the numbers suggest Obama at this point.

Ask not what your country can do ask what you can do for your country as JFK said.

A lot of what has gone on here seems more to do with the GOP and Dems just suiting themselves. How the two parties allow some of these people to be chosen makes me wonder whether something is badly broken in America.

If it is, then the "hope" of the "second coming" is not going to fix it.

Advertisement