Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Works in Barna

Options
  • 28-09-2008 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

God, it's a ****ing nightmare.

Does anyone have any info on when they plan to have it all wrapped up?

I heard from someone during the week that also travels through there into town every day that some problems were encountered.

She reckoned that when they were digging, they hit water. They then proceeded to pour concrete into it. Consequently, the water's course was altered and created problems where it was then running to.

I can't confirm that story with any proof, so I will take it with a pinch of salt until someone convinces me otherwise.

My journey into Galway would take 1 hour without traffic. With traffic it takes, on a good day, 1h30. On a bad day you can add anything up to close to an hour onto that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

She reckoned that when they were digging, they hit water. They then proceeded to pour concrete into it.

Mmmmm concrete, that's much tastier than lead:rolleyes:

Sorry, nothing constructive to add. Those road works are a serious pain in the arse though. Would you think of turning left at the village and heading down the golf course road, it brings you out the Galway side of Moycullen. I think it saved me some time the last time I went that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Mmmmm concrete, that's much tastier than lead:rolleyes:

Sorry, nothing constructive to add. Those road works are a serious pain in the arse though. Would you think of turning left at the village and heading down the golf course road, it brings you out the Galway side of Moycullen. I think it saved me some time the last time I went that way.

you can take the high road, which will lead you out too the rahoon road, near west side as well, all country lanes, but no traffic or very little
    as for when they have it done, not a clue its been going on since june now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

you can take the high road, which will lead you out too the rahoon road, near west side as well, all country lanes, but no traffic or very little

Unfortunately, I'm using our glorious public transport system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

as for when they have it done, not a clue its been going on since june now!!

People have figured that out already.I live near the road heading there for a country road it is fairly packed.If you leave pre 7.30 the main road is grand.

I think that they are moving the roadworks closer towards Supervalu and they could take 9 months to finish.:eek:

I think that they are moving the roadworks closer towards Supervalu and they could take 9 months to finish.:eek:

Christ on a bike - 9 months. What are they doing exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

What I don't understand though is why they have 1 guy at either end turning a sign during working hours, and only turn on the automated traffic lights when they've all left? There seems to be an unusually high amount of slackers there, for example a few days ago, guy operating the JCB asleep, cap over face, legs up on controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Those roadworks are really pissing me off. Someone told me (it was a taxi driver, so take with a huge pinch of salt) that they're gonna go all the way out to Spiddal. Which would mean they'd be due to finish sometime in the late 23rd century, at the current rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Meant to be even more road works near the Móinín na gCiseach roundabout (sorry, can't spell English version!). Nice sign plonked at the side of the road coming up to Bradley's giving notice of major works in October and advice to use alternative routes. Great.

ethernet wrote: »
    Meant to be even more road works near the Móinín na gCiseach roundabout (sorry, can't spell English version!). Nice sign plonked at the side of the road coming up to Bradley's giving notice of major works in October and advice to use alternative routes. Great.

You are not serious..... Oh my god! I have to go through Barna and now some ****ing roadworks at Moneenageisha roundabout also. Can't wait.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

You are not serious..... Oh my god! I have to go through Barna and now some ****ing roadworks at Moneenageisha roundabout also. Can't wait.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    But the Moneenageisha roundabout at least has an alternate route.

As for the Barna roadworks, as a resident of the village I can tell you it is a killer in the evening. Adding 10-15 minutes to your journey home after work is not fun. The trouble with taking the back roads around Rahoon/Tonabrucky is that, by the time you come back down to the junction at the 12 Pins and Donnellys, you'd probably have been better off just joining the queue of cars.

As for when the roadworks will finish, apparently they're having trouble with bedrock which is taking longer than expected to shift. Nobody knows when they will be finished really :(.

What really annoys me about the roadworks is the amount of cars that skip through the lights when they are red but that's a rant for another day :).

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote: »
    But the Moneenageisha roundabout at least has an alternate route.

As I mentioned above, I am using public transport at the moment and I doubt if Bus Éireann will alter their route due to the roadworks.

It would involve common sense and besides, the alternate route may be just as bad with many others having the same idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Aidan Mc

Just as a matter of interest, about how long does it take the bus to get from Bearna to Eyre Square in the morning? And is the bus (reasonably) reliable? (Am moving to Galway soon, have considered living in Bearna though am put off by the roadworks and I also wonder how reliable the bus is, cos I need to be in Eyre Sq by 9am!)

Aidan Mc wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, about how long does it take the bus to get from Bearna to Eyre Square in the morning?

The Carraroe-Galway bus goes through Barna at 08.10 in the morning. It is generally in the city centre at 9am or just before. There is a later bus which comes from Spiddal stopping at Barna at 08.20. It is meant be in town at 08.55 but I would not believe that for a second. Maybe someone can correct me on that, but it's unlikely.

Not due into Galway until late this morning so only leaving now. Hopefully traffic will have cleared a good bit...

As I mentioned above, I am using public transport at the moment and I doubt if Bus Éireann will alter their route due to the roadworks.

It would involve common sense and besides, the alternate route may be just as bad with many others having the same idea...
    Ah, I missed that post :). I agree that the last thing we'll see from Bus Éireann is an outbreak of common sense.
    The Carraroe-Galway bus goes through Barna at 08.10 in the morning. It is generally in the city centre at 9am or just before. There is a later bus which comes from Spiddal stopping at Barna at 08.20. It is meant be in town at 08.55 but I would not believe that for a second. Maybe someone can correct me on that, but it's unlikely.

Not due into Galway until late this morning so only leaving now. Hopefully traffic will have cleared a good bit...
    Those times sound about right. The traffic through the village into town is pretty bad so I'm told between 8am and 9am even without the roadworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pltC!

Havent ye all very little to be complaining about - Held up in Traffic! Id hate to see if ye had any real dramas going on. We have all been held up by works going on but its not going to last forever just get over it!!

pltC! wrote: »
    Havent ye all very little to be complaining about - Held up in Traffic! Id hate to see if ye had any real dramas going on. We have all been held up by works going on but its not going to last forever just get over it!!
    Oh the irony of signing up to post a complaint about people posting complaints :).

Oh the irony of signing up to post a complaint about people posting complaints :).

Well it is a farce ye are all complaining about how long it is taking to get from A to B yet ye all seem to have time to sign up to this and post yer complaints and like I said if work has to be done it has to be done and it wont last forever!
    Oh yea MALICE kinda says it all doesnt it!!:) Nice Name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Back to leaning on that shovel with you!

Well it is a farce ye are all complaining about how long it is taking to get from A to B yet ye all seem to have time to sign up to this and post yer complaints
    Well... you'll see from my profile that I signed up in 2004, long before the current roadworks were being done.
    pltC! wrote:
    and like I said if work has to be done it has to be done and it wont last forever!
    Sure if the work has to be done but it is frustrating. There's no getting away from that fact.
    pltC! wrote:
    Oh yea MALICE kinda says it all doesnt it!!:) Nice Name!
    :confused: What does it say? It's just a name.

Shovel??????? - not only do you complain about very little but your ignorant with it :)! No need to be like that!!

• Advertisement

Well... you'll see from my profile that I signed up in 2004, long before the current roadworks were being done.

Sure if the work has to be done but it is frustrating. There's no getting away from that fact.

:confused: What does it say? It's just a name.

Im not saying its not frustrating dont get me wrong but everyone is in that situation at some stage just have to wait till it finishes thats all you can do nothing else! And the name sorry just a come back about your smart message :)

Did you see the message about the shovel like there is no need for that people by there nature love to complain but ya know we may be stuck in traffic but its not the end of the world!

Did you see the message about the shovel like there is no need for that people by there nature love to complain but ya know we may be stuck in traffic but its not the end of the world!

Why are you complaining about the shovel comment. It's very little you have to be complaining about.

Why are you complaining about the shovel comment. It's very little you have to be complaining about.

Comedian - maybe you should go and lean on a shovel for a while!

Wow, witty and original.

Back under your bridge, troll.

Wow, witty and original.

Back under your bridge, troll.

Oh ronnie ronnie quite contrary you are :rolleyes: Saucer of Milk for Mr Ronnie!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Duel at dawn! Handbags or shovels?

biko wrote: »
    Duel at dawn! Handbags or shovels?

Nice one biko - very funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Im delighted with the Barna works - it lets traffic through in blocks which makes it easier for me to turn out from the Cappagh Road onto the Barna road in the mornings :D

Oh. Barna. How I love thee.

I remember moving into there back in the early 90's and there being nothing but the centra (which is a tyre shop last time I went through there?) and Joyce's shop (which is being knocked down) and of course the 2 pubs and the school.

Now...

it's a sh1thole :)

• Advertisement

its not going to last forever

You do realise this is the Galway CC we are talking about?

Advertisement