Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute times for people working in Galway City

Options
  • 28-09-2008 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

I travel for quite a distance a substantial amount of time to Galway everyday, but do so mostly by choice.

Of those of you employed or educated in Galway City, I'd be interested to know what are people's average commute times in the morning, going into the city.

Commute times to Galway City 52 votes

15 mins or less
    0% 0 votes
    30 mins or less
    46% 24 votes
    45 mins or less
    30% 16 votes
    60 mins or less
    9% 5 votes
    90 mins or less
    9% 5 votes
    More than 90 mins
    3% 2 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

around 25 min for me , galway side of claregalway to galway city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

College 5 mins and work from home

15 min walk from Castlelawn heights to colaiste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Usually 30-45 minutes depending on the time of day
    #9 bus to the last stop, then a little bit of walking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

If I were to arrive at college in time for my first lectures, it would take ~40 minutes to get there, and I'd never get a parking space. So, I go in ridiculously early and make it there in 15 minutes (from Doughiska).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

10 minute cycle to work near the racecourse from home in Ballybrit. My husband has about 5 minutes farther to cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

15 mins tops from Cappagh Road to UCHG. (leaving at 755am)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

25 mins in morning but more like 45-50 on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

ah, the joys of living in the centre of town.
    Take that all you oranmore types!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

around 20 minutes if im working at 9, any other time im working usually only takes about 10 minutes or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

15-20 mins, Doughiska to city centre, don't start til 9.30 so miss most of the traffic

15 minute walk from Sandy road to Mervue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Tzetze wrote: »
    If I were to arrive at college in time for my first lectures, it would take ~40 minutes to get there, and I'd never get a parking space. So, I go in ridiculously early and make it there in 15 minutes (from Doughiska).

+1, same situation for me albeit ther other side of town.

I don't think this is a very scientific poll. Most of us are young workers / students and so rent close to work / college.

To be a homeowner you have to sacrifice more time v house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I don't think this is a very scientific poll. Most of us are young workers / students and so rent close to work / college.

To be a homeowner you have to sacrifice more time v house.

I thought of this also, but I am not in a position to do a full scale survey of Galway, in order to include the groups that are under-represented on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Is that poll taking account of both journeys ie to and from work/college? If so, mine takes about an hour. 20 mins in the morning and 40 mins in the evening. That's not counting the bloody roadworks in Barna village.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

10 mins in for work at 7.30am but can take 30mins to get home at 4pmish thats from renmore to uchg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can take 1 hour + from Ballybrit Ind Est to city centre because of all the cars on the road leading down to the Huntsman roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

malice_ wrote: »
    Is that poll taking account of both journeys ie to and from work/college? If so, mine takes about an hour. 20 mins in the morning and 40 mins in the evening. That's not counting the bloody roadworks in Barna village.

My head hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarahbrennan

it takes me 40 -50 minutes from annaghdown to nui leaving at 8am (travelling the headford road) . 30 min max getting home usually

• Advertisement

Thinking it's just to the city judging by the title. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mornings .. city centre to Ballybrit estate, 10 minutes. Evenings, reverse journey, anything between 10 and 40 minutes depending on traffic.

Transport cheerfully supplied by the lovely people at Bus Eireann. Well supplied, anyway, they don't usually look that cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Under 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ethernet wrote: »
    Thinking it's just to the city judging by the title. Not sure.
    Yeah, it looks like it.

The longest commute I have come across was an engineer who used to commute from somewhere in Longford to Medtronic in Parkmore. It took him roughly 3 hours (90 minutes each way). Amazingly enough, he kept that up for a few years!

Yeah, it looks like it.

The longest commute I have come across was an engineer who used to commute from somewhere in Longford to Medtronic in Parkmore. It took him roughly 3 hours (90 minutes each way). Amazingly enough, he kept that up for a few years!
    That's just not healthy. Free time? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

25mins going to work, and about 8mins going home, i leave for work at about 5pm ballybrit to salthill, and leave salthill at 1.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yeah, it looks like it.

A 90 minute commute each way is not unusual in North America at all. Of course, their roads are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

About 20mins morning, 40mins in evening - its still bliss to me that it takes that short a time having lived in London for many a year, good public transport or not still used to take 45min at best each way could be as much as 1hr 15.
    Now all I need is some public transport here so I can read a book on way to work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulh19

biko wrote: »
    Can take 1 hour + from Ballybrit Ind Est to city centre because of all the cars on the road leading down to the Huntsman roundabout.

( Attached Images File Type: jpg bus car idiots.jpg (107.5 KB, 32 views)

Good pic! Also see..
    http://www.theonion.com/content/news/report_98_percent_of_u_s_commuters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Zzippy wrote: »
    15-20 mins, Doughiska to city centre, don't start til 9.30 so miss most of the traffic

+1 although its nasty as hell being in at 9 or whenever the school kids are making there way in or back.

Advertisement