Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John McCain The Maverick

Options
  • 28-09-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Is it me or anyone sick to their eyeballs listening to this guy saying he is a maverick of the senate.

He talks nothing but poop the whole time, god help america if he and Palin get in.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm not an American and don't follow their poltical mumbo jumbo too close but I find McCain far more entertaining than the other candidates!
    I find Obama boring and insincere

Not saying that will make anyone a better leader mind you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

McCain is every bit as insincere, plus a terrible speaker. So I don't know how you could find him boring and not McCain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

McCain seems more personable than Obama [to me at least] because Obama is an extremely polished performer. McCain is not. Hence McCain tends to be a little more blunt, and not as good at hiding his intentions or deflecting awkward questions. So you get to see him warts and all. With Obama its very very obvious hes extremely smooth. Seems fairly false.

McCain pointed out a symptom of that when he highlighed that Obama has secured 1 million in earmarks for every day he was in the Senate, Obama smoothly noted he had recognised the issue with earmarks and stopped seeking any further earmarks until the system was fixed. Nice and reassuring, except McCain pointed out Obama had only "seen the light" upon entering the presidential race...implies a political logic behind Obamas decision as opposed to any change in view.

As for McCains maverick slogans...yeah, it wears thin, but hes got the bipartisan & independant track record to back it up. And mass media politics tends to be 5-10 bite sized slogans that can be drilled into any morons [read voters] head, repeated again and again and again and again at every possible media opportunity. McCain has to hammer the "maverick" message home, because Obama is attempting to campaign against Bush, not John McCain. McCain has to ensure his independance from Bush and the Republican party is highlighted to combat that Obama strategy.

Its certainly less stale than "audacity of hope" and "change" anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Sand wrote: »
    McCain seems more personable than Obama [to me at least] because Obama is an extremely polished performer. McCain is not. Hence McCain tends to be a little more blunt, and not as good at hiding his intentions or deflecting awkward questions. So you get to see him warts and all. With Obama its very very obvious hes extremely smooth. Seems fairly false.

McCain pointed out a symptom of that when he highlighed that Obama has secured 1 million in earmarks for every day he was in the Senate, Obama smoothly noted he had recognised the issue with earmarks and stopped seeking any further earmarks until the system was fixed. Nice and reassuring, except McCain pointed out Obama had only "seen the light" upon entering the presidential race...implies a political logic behind Obamas decision as opposed to any change in view.
    You say that as if McCain hasn't done a complete backflip on all his policies.

Its certainly less stale than "audacity of hope" and "change" anyway...
    What other politican do we know who is running under the banner of change? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You say that as if McCain hasn't done a complete backflip on all his policies.

The implications of the complete backflip on all his policies claim would seem to contradict the implications 90% voting with Bush record claim. Certainly if he is doing a U-Turn doesnt that negate the implication on his voting records? He cant be "another 8 years..."

The only real move I've seen from him that directly contradicts his earlier positions is his attempt to get the Christian right behind him having criticised them before. Only the selection of Palin has done the trick, the Christian right do not like or trust him whatsoever. Thats not a bad thing in my book, and probably the truest indicator of his political chicanery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The record clearly shows, and McCain did not dispute it during the first presidential debate, that McCain voted for Bush favoured policies 90% of the time for almost 8 years, so how can anyone call him a Maverick (except himself, which he repeats over and over and over again, in spite of his Bush favoured voting record). McCain is the George W. Bush sequel.

Advertisement