Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weird problem with car

Options
  • 28-09-2008 10:53am
    Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭

Have a problem with the car and wanted to see if my idea of whats wrong can actually happen.

Basically, when release the hand-brake and try to move off the back right part of the car feels like the brake is still applied to the wheel. My understanding that the brake defaults to the off position and you have to pull the hand-brake or apply the foot-brake to change that. I moved the car out of its parking spot and the back right wheel left a trail behind it. Also, when I reversed it back in the space, the body shifted in back right corner as if the hand-brake was still applied.

Does sound like it could be the brake is still applied to that wheel, or could it be something else entirely? Also, want to know could I seriously damage the car if I i drive it to the car dealers, about 3km.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the car? Has it been sitting for any length of time unused (few weeks even?) It could be a bit seized and need looking at.

• Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Stekelly wrote: »
    Whats the car? Has it been sitting for any length of time unused (few weeks even?) It could be a bit seized and need looking at.
    Its a VW Fox. Its been idle for at most 2 weeks, as I don't drive to work. If it is seized what do I need to do to go about fixing the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

koth wrote: »
    Have a problem with the car and wanted to see if my idea of whats wrong can actually happen.

Basically, when release the hand-brake and try to move off the back right part of the car feels like the brake is still applied to the wheel. My understanding that the brake defaults to the off position and you have to pull the hand-brake or apply the foot-brake to change that. I moved the car out of its parking spot and the back right wheel left a trail behind it. Also, when I reversed it back in the space, the body shifted in back right corner as if the hand-brake was still applied.

Does sound like it could be the brake is still applied to that wheel, or could it be something else entirely? Also, want to know could I seriously damage the car if I i drive it to the car dealers, about 3km.

One of two possibilities I'd guess. The brake shoes (if its a drum brake) or pads (if it's a disc) can have become jammed in engagement, due to a broken adjuster or seized cylinder, or the wheel bearing is seized. Sometimes, if a brake is well out of adjustment, it can be rubbing when driving, get very hot, and almost weld itself to the drum. Pumping the footbrake while rocking the car back and forwards can often release it if that is the cause. Still, if the wheel is held so tight that the trye is skidding on the road and leaving a trail as you describe, then the brake would have to jammed on very hard to do that, and I wouldn't expect sufficient force for that from the handbrake lever alone.Therefore I would guess at a wheel bearing. Either way, by your description, I wouldn't try to drive it 3 km since some damage will inevitably occur, and very serious damage if it's a wheel bearing.

ART6 wrote: »
    One of two possibilities I'd guess. The brake shoes (if its a drum brake) or pads (if it's a disc) can have become jammed in engagement, due to a broken adjuster or seized cylinder, or the wheel bearing is seized. Sometimes, if a brake is well out of adjustment, it can be rubbing when driving, get very hot, and almost weld itself to the drum. Pumping the footbrake while rocking the car back and forwards can often release it if that is the cause. Still, if the wheel is held so tight that the trye is skidding on the road and leaving a trail as you describe, then the brake would have to jammed on very hard to do that, and I wouldn't expect sufficient force for that from the handbrake lever alone.Therefore I would guess at a wheel bearing. Either way, by your description, I wouldn't try to drive it 3 km since some damage will inevitably occur, and very serious damage if it's a wheel bearing.

Figured that the drive to the dealers would be a no-no. Will have to try and organise someone to come to the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Experienced something similar a few years ago after coming back from a 2 week holiday. Went to back the car out of the drive but back right wheel was jammed. Forced the car back over the kerb onto the drive and it freed up again. It also left a trail until it freed up.

The cause I think was that that it had rained very heavily on my way home the previous night before I left for the holiday and I'd driven through some major floods before parking the car and applying the handbrake. Basically the brake/hub had seized due to "rust". Small shock broke the seize and it was fine after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What could have happened here is that the brake lining has come off the brake shoe and is getting jammed between the shoe and the drum. Or the wheel cylinder could be acting up.

If you can, jack the car up and take the wheel off and give the drum a few bangs of a hammer, turn it 180 degrees a few times and give a few more bangs. You'd probably be as well to take the drum off and just inspect the assembly just to make sure all is ok and everything is where it should be...

Just checked the car again. The back right wheel isn't turning at all but the back left on is working fine. Also, the car is only 1 year old if that makes a difference.

Just checked the car again. The back right wheel isn't turning at all but the back left on is working fine. Also, the car is only 1 year old if that makes a difference.

Is it an electronic handbrake set up, like do you operate it with button or is it the handbrake lever behind the gearstick???

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Is it an electronic handbrake set up, like do you operate it with button or is it the handbrake lever behind the gearstick???

Its a standard handbrake, sitting behind the gearstick.

I've seen this before, it's just seized, but don't drive it or the brake lining will come off, because it is currently bonded through rust to the brake drum.

Just jack up the car and take the wheel off. Get a hammer and give the drum a couple of very hard sharp shocks with a hammer. I guarantee you it will free up after a few bangs. Don't be afraid to use the hammer, you can't break anything. You'll need to really wallop it, I understand the urge to tap at it for fear of breaking something, two or three really good impacts will sort that out for you. Just take care and work safe. When you jack the car up, put an axle stand or a few bricks under the jacking area just in case the jack slips...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'd agree with what darragh said about the hammer. They needn't be haymakers of slaps either, just gentle love taps

Thanks for all the help guys. Just dropping you an update, it was the brake. Didn't feel up to messing around with the car myself. Ran VW and they sent someone out to look at it. Basically, he used some very hard acceleration to free it. So car is up and running again.

Once again thanks very much for the help guys.:)

Thanks for all the help guys. Just dropping you an update, it was the brake. Didn't feel up to messing around with the car myself. Ran VW and they sent someone out to look at it. Basically, he used some very hard acceleration to free it. So car is up and running again.

Glad you got it sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You did right to get VW to send someone out - your car is still under warranty so no point in messing about with it.

What you describe is a regular occurrence when a car has been left lying for a while - the friction surface binds to the disc/drum. I'd say your sorted.

Advertisement