Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Mobile v's Three/Vodafone/O2

Options
  • 28-09-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Don't know why some people diss Mobile broadband, but atm I'm getting up to 350kb/s downloading some client file using DigiWeb's mobile broadband.

And I live deep countryside :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's different technology to o2/voda/3's "mobile broadband"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Don't know why some people diss Mobile broadband

The diss it often because hey fail to realise what exactly it is. Mobile broadband is rarely broadband, and in the case of 3G, it never is (not too sure about Digiweb Mobile). The speed isn't the only thing that makes it broadband.

By it's very nature, mobile services will always have patchy coverage, and an uncontrollable contention. When you buy the service, it's very rare that you'll be told of the possible pitfalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Digiweb's service is going to be better since its only a limited roll out so far and there has been little or no advertising for it which means there is a hell of a lot less users than the other companies. When they start rolling out in a major way and advertising they will have plenty of the same problems the other providers have, though admittedly the technology Digiweb use is slightly better in some ways than what 3/Vodafone/O2 use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zAbbo wrote: »
    It's different technology to o2/voda/3's "mobile broadband"

agreed, the op is another person who has obviously mixed up what is what :)

edited thread title in-line with charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Im on it now. A friend asked me to check his connection. Speed is 101kbps down since 3 days ago. Hes only had it for 2 months so the stories i hear about having a great digiweb mobile service until you are locked into your contract and then a crap service after that seem to be borne out to me.

A crap service if i say so myself. I tried to check if he has gone over the cap but there is no checking the cap for digiweb mobile. He didnt get an email or anything to say he was approaching his cap either,which you would think digiweb would do for those who cant check their usage online.

PC apps are no good for checking cap usage when there is a router and other laptops on the network that transfer files accross the network as they measure ALL traffic accross the connection including file transfers between computers. They will not tell you exactly how much traffic went over your internet connection.

I moved the router all around the house and even outside in the garden and at the front of the house but it was as bad as dialup everywhere.

He says he hasnt used it at all in a week and only the odd time before that so i think rolling cap is not the reason here. I think its just a sh!t service tbh.

My conclusion - avoid digiweb mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

He may have a bad signal. At least one base had to be moved (site owner requests are outside any operators control). There is no difference between service initially and later, other than issues of aerial getting moved on Masts or sites changes that dramatically affect signal. Or a large number of users in one place (It's mobile so unlike Fixed Wireless you can't really control how many users are on a particular mast).

watty wrote: »
    He may have a bad signal. At least one base had to be moved (site owner requests are outside any operators control).

Can you tell me which base this was, because he was dead impressed with digiweb up til a few days ago and its just good for nothing to him now.

Also, i think Its bad form to allow peoples service to degrade and then let them find out the hard way. Kind of reminds me of reading the Ice thread. I would have expected more.

Currently we're on hold for 45 minutes calling digiweb support (started in position 6 and now in position 3). Not impressed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I can't be any more specific. I don't work in support or Mobile Group. You really just have to phone support.

Try modem in a different room on a different side of the house and see is there a big difference.

watty wrote: »
    I can't be any more specific. I don't work in support or Mobile Group. You really just have to phone support.

Try modem in a different room on a different side of the house and see is there a big difference.

thanks for answering. I tried the modem everywhere but in the boot of his car. If it's on the roof if the garage be gets just less than 800kbps. But that's not really gonna work.

After 1.5 hours on hold we got through to support who told him they would call back. Never did (sounding more and more like ice). I told him just to cancel and send the equip back. As the trial was so much better than what he's getting. Just go to the small claims court if need be because he'll win. I checked with a solicitor friend. The trial Is advertising the service he should expect. But now be gets nowhere near what he hot on the trial.

Advertisement