Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Gaiman book signing

Options
  • 28-09-2008 12:08pm
    Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭

Just to let people know Neil Gaiman is coming to Ireland to promote his new book, The Graveyard Book. Big fan of Gaiman, unlikely that I'll make it, but thought others might like to know about it.

Info taken from his own blog.
    Date: Thursday 30th October
    Eason Books

O'Connell St, Dublin

Thursday, 30 October 2008

07:00 PM

Mods feel free to move to a more appropriate place if required.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ciara_471

are you sure? couldn't find anything about it online :( i love neil gaiman!!

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Ciara_471 wrote: »
    are you sure? couldn't find anything about it online :( i love neil gaiman!!
    As much as Neil himself posting it on his blog. Link to his blog in my original post. Also, it is listed here, http://www.eason.ie/events, scroll to the bottom of the page it opens.

Link to the blog, http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/09/graveyard-book-tour.html, and once again scroll to the bottom of this page also.:)

Also, welcome to boards Ciara.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ciara_471

Cheers for the welcome.
    Sorry for not seeing the link there.
    I can't wait. I'm def going to that. Thanks for letting us know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Brilliant! Will definitely be there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

The Graveyard Book has been published in the USA, but will not be published here till the end of the month!

I was hoping to get a copy before the event so I could get Neil to sign it, and lack of a credit card means I can't really order it from the US :(

Any ideas? anybody know if its possible to pick up a copy anywhere in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If he is doing a book signing as part of the promotional tour for the book then it will be on sale in the store.

Very true Thaedydal, but I require a copy of the book yesterday :D what's up with the month difference in publishing dates, I thought it was just Hollywood that got up to that kind of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

D'you think he'd sign a limited edition Merv Pumpkinhead Bust for me??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Saruwatari wrote: »
    D'you think he'd sign a limited edition Merv Pumpkinhead Bust for me??? :pac:

I think he'll sign anything.

Definitely gonna get some of my Sandman signed =)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

fragile wrote: »
    The Graveyard Book has been published in the USA, but will not be published here till the end of the month!

I was hoping to get a copy before the event so I could get Neil to sign it, and lack of a credit card means I can't really order it from the US :(

Any ideas? anybody know if its possible to pick up a copy anywhere in Ireland?

Hi

Book was in store today, 2 different versions.
    Same story, 2 different illustrators.
    Lovely hardback editions, both of them.

Term

• Advertisement

term wrote: »
    Hi

Book was in store today, 2 different versions.
    Same story, 2 different illustrators.
    Lovely hardback editions, both of them.

Term

Thanks term, I spotted it today and picked up a copy. The illustrations in each of the versions are done by different artists, I picked up the one with the Dave McKean illustrations - I think its meant to be more adult orientated, with the other versions illustrations more aimed at a younger audience

I'm really looking forward to reading it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Oh wow! I'll definitely pick up a copy of the book, but I might take along a sandman volume as well... I'd love to get one signed!

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just wondering, does anyone know if Easons or whoever is over seeing the event would have the possibility of getting a copy of the book signed for me, even though I won't be attending? Will contact Easons later today, was just asking to see if anyone here has heard of such a thing being possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

koth wrote: »
    Just wondering, does anyone know if Easons or whoever is over seeing the event would have the possibility of getting a copy of the book signed for me, even though I won't be attending? Will contact Easons later today, was just asking to see if anyone here has heard of such a thing being possible.

Koth

Most bookstoreas should offer this facility, even so far as getting the book dedicated. Proviso is you pay upfront.
    Alternatively, pop in a few days after the event, as most stores will over-order for a signing to be sure.

Term

I wonder how busy this'll be. I don't finish work til 5.30 and it takes about 45 minutes to get to O' Connell Street :(

Gauge wrote: »
    I wonder how busy this'll be. I don't finish work til 5.30 and it takes about 45 minutes to get to O' Connell Street :(

I think his signings tend to go on for a long time. If you arrive late, I'd say you'll be there until the wee hours...

That said, I could be wrong...

Eh, worst case scenario I'm sleepy for work on Friday :) well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Does anybody know if this is a book for adults or kids? I'd like to go but I was dragged along to a book launch a while back and was surrounded by pre-teens :(

I haven't read the book(yet!), but given the range of Gaiman's stuff from kids to adults, I reckon that there could be a mix of people there with a majority of adults given the time it could be going on until.

Got the book yesterday, can't wait to give it a read over the weekend! :)

Okay, according to Amazon and other sources, there will be two different UK versions;
    - Children's Edition, paperback, with illutsration and front cover by reknowned fantasy illustrator Chris Riddell
    - Adult's Edition, deluxe hardback with slipcase, iluustrations by legendary Dave McKean
    According to http://www.eason.ie/events, he'll only be signing copies of the Children's Ed., but I'll drop into O' Connell's store to ask the staff about it.

Discovered this great Book Signing Guide by Gaiman himself, everyone should have a read!
    http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2003/08/one-that-includes-repost-of-helpful.asp
    I wonder how many people we can expect at this thing? I'd like to get a drawing off him, if the numbers weren't too big. :D

• Advertisement

Kid's one only? :( That kind of sucks. I'm too broke to buy 2 versions of the same book!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CrossBreed

I'd say it's going to be ridiculously busy there. Thank God I've Thursday off of work, will give me time to head down early. :)

Okay people, some bad news; to get into the signing, you have to have a ticket, which you can get for free in Easons. Apparently it's to keep the numbers from skyrocketing, which is only fair on Neil.

When I got my tickets, the highest number out of the three was 67, and judging by what little the staffer had left in the bundle, there must be around 100 tickets. Strangely enough, theres no mention whatsoever of the tickets online, only instore.

I have three tickets in my posession; I'm hoping to go with two friends, but if I can't find anyone to come, I'd gladly depart with two of them for anyone here if they're all ran out instore.
    Anyone without a ticket should ring up Easons tomorrow to check how many tickets are left, ASAP.

Also; I asked about which version book he will be signing; according to the woman I questioned, "whatever versions we'll be selling". On the tickets I have, there are two pictures; one of the children's version and the other, the paperback adult one, so here's hoping!

CRAP. I have no way of getting into Eason's before Thursday evening. :(

CRAP. I have no way of getting to Dublin to get a ticket...

Well, did you guys ring up about it? Maybe they can hold a ticket for you?

I've been trying to get through to Easons all day and no one is picking up the phone, it's just ringing out. Irritating. I'll try again the second they open tomorrow.

Ditto, I think. Tickets are free, right?

Ditto, I think. Tickets are free, right?
    Of course. I wonder why they weren't answering...

• Advertisement

Because they hate me? :p

Hopefully they'll have one left that I can pick up this Thursday evening... either way, thanks for the heads up about the tickets :) even if they run out before I get one, it would have sucked a lot more if I'd shown up on Thursday week only to find out about tickets then!

Advertisement