Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing panel question.

Options
  • 28-09-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to attach some 6' X 6' fencing panels to a 2 m wall to extend the height. Ideally i would like to have as much as possible of the panel above the wall for maximum height. My rough plan was to attach some vertical lengths of 2" X 4" (about 10- 12' long) to the wall every couple of feet apart using heavy duty fixing bolts. I was then going to attach a length of 2" X 4" crossways about a foot below the top of the wall and sit the panels on this to bear the weight. The panels would then be screwed to the tops of the uprights. My main worry is wind although the wall is not too exposed. I know you can get panels that are double sided with the boards offset so the wind goes through them but i feel they would be too heavy for my setup. What do any of you advise. I should add that this will not be permanent but only until trees reach required height.(2-3 years)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...not an attempt to drag things off topic, but what the hell are you trying to block out with, if I've done my sums correctly, an 18 ft high wall?!

Seriously, because that height of fencing sounds like it runs the risk of being more of an eyesore than what you'd be looking at. And what sort of trees have you planted that you're hoping will hit 18 foot in 2- 3 years?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Sorry. wall is about 6' 6" and want to make it about 12' using 6' panel. I probably confused issue using metres and feet..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Assuming the wall is robust and well secure to foundation, any wobbles/cracks, I would advise not to increase screening height through this method. Best to fix 3" x 3" posts at similar distances equivalent to width of panels, ie, every 6' 0". Secure posts to wall with quick anchors ( size :M8 x 150mm). Posts shouldn't project more than 3 ' 0" above wall, ie 50% of panel height, otherwise the extended height will act as a sail and you'll risk pulling the wall down on a stormy night.

Panels can be secured/fixed to posts using U-brackets or simply screw fix 4.0 x 75mm.

FYI, Boundary heights are usually 6' 0" and exceed this height would require planning approval. Increasing height to 9' 0" would be wise to consult neighbours.

Finally do not underestimate the lateral pressures on wall, as I said, wall must be secure before attempting any additional work.

BTW why did you not consider using mature planting to alleviate the temporary lack of screening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

We have mature photinia planted. they are at about 10' but need to thicken out. we are just being impatient. The problem of screening only arises in the winter as we have other deciduous trees in the area. I think you are right and the wall probably would not take the strain. we will wait for the trees to grow...

Advertisement