Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower not draining

Options
  • 28-09-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭

We got a pump installed on our water supply to our en-suite shower a few weeks ago.

Around 2 weeks after this, we noticed that the water was draining away very slowly and now the water is above your ankles after a few minutes.

We poured some 'Mr Muscle' drain unblocker down the drain but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Is there something else I can try or just call in the plumber?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Open the shower tray trap , you get at it from the top anticlockwise. you will probaly find a ball of hair stuck in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-1487-Mr-Muscle-Sink-and-Plughole-Unblocker-500ml.html

Works a treat. Leave overnight or for for as many hours as you can, but about 4 hours will do it easilly. About Eur 4.50 in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally I'm not a fan of chucking toxic chemicals down the drain when it's not needed.

You need to do two things .. first, on many shower trays you can remove the little drain cover and remove a plastic part (like a tube about about 2-3" long) that is there to catch all the crap, usually congealed soap and hair. It usually just pulls out easily after you've taken the cover off.

Secondly, get one of these http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/drainbuster.htm (well, not that one exactly, but you can get the same thing in Woodies etc. easily here). Fill with water, place over drain hole and give it a good push, repeat a couple of times. Works like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Alun wrote: »
    Personally I'm not a fan of chucking toxic chemicals down the drain when it's not needed.

You need to do two things .. first, on many shower trays you can remove the little drain cover and remove a plastic part (like a tube about about 2-3" long) that is there to catch all the crap, usually congealed soap and hair. It usually just pulls out easily after you've taken the cover off.

Secondly, get one of these http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/drainbuster.htm (well, not that one exactly, but you can get the same thing in Woodies etc. easily here). Fill with water, place over drain hole and give it a good push, repeat a couple of times. Works like a dream.

Nor am I, but I have been there & done that, taken off & cleaned out the trap etc, but congealed soap etc & other hairball blockages might not be shifted by this gun, so you might end up spending on the double.

As I equally don't like chemicals, I used half the recommended amount, left overnight, flushed with boiling water & it cleared completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

banchang wrote: »
    ...but congealed soap etc & other hairball blockages might not be shifted by this gun, ...
    My experience however has been that indeed they do work, very well in fact, and better than any of the drain cleaner gunk you can buy. Which was kind of why I posted the advice really :D

YMMV of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Alun wrote: »
    My experience however has been that indeed they do work, very well in fact, and better than any of the drain cleaner gunk you can buy. Which was kind of why I posted the advice really :D

YMMV of course.

I have the drain bomb aka drain pump and it works a treat on shifting the long hair from my wife and daughters that gets stuck in the shower outlet. My hair is almost cut down to my head so its not me that causes the blockages but I always have to clear them. Equality is not a two way street is it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I carry this stuff with me ,in case I need to clear a drain for someone.
    Note though ,I've never used it on a shower tray. This thing blows the crap out of the pipe with a high pressure lemon boost:D

http://www.findtheneedle.co.uk/products/95294-power-plumber-45-instant-drain-clearer.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Just to throw a spanner in the works, Was it draining slowly before the pump was installed ? or has the flow of water increased dramatically, as you will see with most new trays in large size they come with dual waste to take away the extra flow of water. If you put in a 3 bar pump say you would be getting a huge flow of water and if the waste pipe is shallow it would back up significantly. Ive seen this where an electric shower comes out and a new valve and pump goes in and waste then has to be altered to accomodate the extra water. Prosperous Dave's solutions is the best though if its a blockage bought one recently and am well impressed.

Regards
    Builditwell

Just to throw a spanner in the works, Was it draining slowly before the pump was installed ? or has the flow of water increased dramatically, as you will see with most new trays in large size they come with dual waste to take away the extra flow of water. If you put in a 3 bar pump say you would be getting a huge flow of water and if the waste pipe is shallow it would back up significantly. Ive seen this where an electric shower comes out and a new valve and pump goes in and waste then has to be altered to accomodate the extra water. Prosperous Dave's solutions is the best though if its a blockage bought one recently and am well impressed.

Regards
    Builditwell

Standard shower traps are 1.5 inches

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

I was talking in terms of there being 2 wastes from the tray to increase flow from traps !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Thanks for all the subsequent replies

I took off the sliver 'grate' this evening and removed what I believe to be the trap (a tube around 1" wide wide and 1 1/2"-2" long-there was nothing in this-and I fail to see how it could catch anything?

I never noticed the water draining slowly before and for the first week or so with the new pump, there was no difference.

I will pop into Woodies tomorrow and see what's available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Thanks for all the subsequent replies

I took off the sliver 'grate' this evening and removed what I believe to be the trap (a tube around 1" wide wide and 1 1/2"-2" long-there was nothing in this-and I fail to see how it could catch anything?

I never noticed the water draining slowly before and for the first week or so with the new pump, there was no difference.

I will pop into Woodies tomorrow and see what's available.

Get the "Drainbomb" like I suggested as it will clear blockages in one easy push of the plunger. It only cost me €10 in B & Q last year. It comes with different attachments for clearing sinks/shower wastepipes and a larger one for clearing blocked toilets.

If this doesn't work, then you could have a problem similar to one I had in my old house where the wastepipe had been installed with a slope back towards the shower so the water was trying to run uphill to get away from the shower (not). I had to take up the floor to sort that one out. With your new pump, you have a greater volume of water in teh shower trying to escape which will cause it to back up very quickly if the waste pipe is blocked/angled incorrectly.

banchang wrote: »
    http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-1487-Mr-Muscle-Sink-and-Plughole-Unblocker-500ml.html

Works a treat. Leave overnight or for for as many hours as you can, but about 4 hours will do it easilly. About Eur 4.50 in Tesco

This is what we have used and it doesn't seem to have had any effect.

You could try the stuff I mentioned red sox fan. I'm not here to pimp any people I know or anything ,it's the only stuff available in a lot of professional suppliers.

So it must be good.

311 wrote: »
    You could try the stuff I mentioned red sox fan. I'm not here to pimp any people I know or anything ,it's the only stuff available in a lot of professional suppliers.

So it must be good.

If I can find it, I will try it. Website says it's available in B&Q, so will try there first.

Just to update

@311, couldn't find that stuff in B&Q or Woodies

Got one of the Drain Bomb thingies on Woodies
    But also picked up some 'Drain Unblocker' (92% Sulphuric Acid)-which burned on going down the drain.

One or the other or both got the job done and the shower is now draining perfectly again.

Cheers for all the suggestions.

Advertisement