Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there was a Green Lantern movie...

Options
  • 28-09-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Apparently there is a script being written as we speak?

Who would you like to see in what roles?

Hal Jordan
    Guy Gardner
    Kyle Rayner
    John Stewart
    Sinestro
    Carol Ferris
    Kilowog

And what kinda story would you like to see?

A trilogy would be best, the first film introduce Hal Jordan, have his origin, at the end of it introduce the corps and sinestro and then go from there

The only casting I can think of would be Ron Perlman as Kilowog!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There was a bit of discussion about this a while back, and personally I think the difficulty in a Green Lantern film would be establishing it in a way that doesn't seem completely idiotic to people who haven't seen the comics. I mean, the concept is basically Magical Space Cops and it's going to be tough to sell that if the perception in Time Warner is that people want "dark superheroes".

A trilogy would probably suit it better in terms of structure because you could introduce the concept of the Green Lantern in the first film and have it be a solo adventure of sorts, with the Corps and wider-spanning adventures left for there. The problem with trilogies is that the first film has to stand on its own whereas the second and third films tend to be treated as one long film, whereas what you'd really need is two separate films that work on their own but feed into each other. My suggestion would be:
    • First film - Introduce the concept and go from there. The Hal Jordan option is a bit twee but might be the simplest starting point. Have it as a solo Earth-bound adventure, concluding with Jordan deciding to become a full-time superhero.
    • Second film - starting with Jordan already an established superhero, he encounters someone else with similar powers (possibly Guy Gardner). This reveals the existence of the Corps and the wider responsibility of Green Lanterns on a galactic scale, while also allowing the introduction of Jordan's conflict between his duties as a Lantern and his life on earth.
    • Third film - Green Lantern Corps vs Sinestro Corps. As Corps members are killed everywhere, the Earth Lanterns have to pull together and find a way to stop Sinestro's march to war. Starting with the investigation of a serial killer hunting down Lanterns, Jordan and co discover a wider threat to the whole Earth. Personal sacrifices are made (relationships crumbling, etc) along the way, allowing for more character development.

Now, I still don't see the concept surviving intact because the All-Star Batman & Robin criticism of the Green Lantern is going to be an issue at a film level....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Yeah, it could be epic, but it'll be a tough sell. Hal's origin would be the best way to start it off, as a gentle introduction to the mythos.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

By the look of this news item, it might be closer than you think.

(Personally, I still can't help but see that "And I'll prove I'm not a child molester" panel every time I see the name Hal Jordan, which will likely be a factor on whether I appreciate the film...)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Yeah, but John Stewart is a weak character, he would be crap as the movie GL, Hal, Guy and then Kyle!

Guy would be great!!!

"Now, I still don't see the concept surviving intact because the All-Star Batman & Robin criticism of the Green Lantern"

What's this?

JangoFett wrote: »
    "Now, I still don't see the concept surviving intact because the All-Star Batman & Robin criticism of the Green Lantern"

What's this?

I think the line was something like "He's got the power of a demigod and he's borderline retarded", in the context of Hal Jordan having an immensely powerful weapon that he uses to conjure up giant egg-beaters and the like in order to fight crime, rather than using it to tackle greater social problems at their roots...

• Advertisement
Advertisement