Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn Questions

Options
  • 28-09-2008 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I have a new area of my lawn down for about 6 weeks. There is good growth on it now but I have a couple of questions:

1) There seems to be a few weeds starting to sprout, is there a threatment that can be used to kill weeds but not new grass

2) The neighbours down got in and dug a fair few small hole in the new topsoil. As a result the settled soil is lower and there are holes in the garden. Should I leave it alone and let it settle further or get some more topsoil and fill the holes?

3) The whole area has not taken with grass, there are still some bald spots, should I reseed or leave it and let the grass grow itself.

There was about 50 tonnes of new top soil brought in but it was never rolled, anyone any advance one whether I should roll it now or leave it settle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

azzeretti wrote: »
    I have a new area of my lawn down for about 6 weeks. There is good growth on it now but I have a couple of questions:

1) There seems to be a few weeds starting to sprout, is there a threatment that can be used to kill weeds but not new grass

2) The neighbours down got in and dug a fair few small hole in the new topsoil. As a result the settled soil is lower and there are holes in the garden. Should I leave it alone and let it settle further or get some more topsoil and fill the holes?

3) The whole area has not taken with grass, there are still some bald spots, should I reseed or leave it and let the grass grow itself.

There was about 50 tonnes of new top soil brought in but it was never rolled, anyone any advance one whether I should roll it now or leave it settle?

An enormous quantity of topsoil, one wonders what size the area is and also what depth of topsoil. No rolling is unbelievable, even modest calculations would factor a subsidence/settlement of 10%, so you could expect some variance in final levels. Difficult to understand why no preliminary rolling of area prior to seeding/turfing did not take place.

Weather conditions now with ground likely to remain soft with rainfall will make rolling that bit more challenging, but as soon as ground firms up get rolling, don't worry about any temporary damage to grass area.

Bald patches/hollows can be re-seeded/backfilled easily enough, more important to determine a consistent level. Pegging ground might help, if you're unsure over larger areas.

Weeds can be hand picked or cut with mowing, avoid using any weedkiller on new grass for at least 12 months.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

The garden is around an acre but I didn't grass all of it.

I too thought it was strange that it wasn't rolled and it is settling a little unevenly.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I may leave it a little while before cutting then rolling if needed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Re-seed before you roll to get good contact for the new seeds.
    Dont go over it with a very heavy roller, you want it to firm up but not create a hard, waterproof layer.

Advertisement