Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPP protocol error

Options
  • 28-09-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

As far as i can see this is the forum for this thread!

Im getting an annoying problem with my dialup connection. I recently reinstalled XPsp3 because of a game related problem. Ive loaded back on my programs but i cant connect to dialup now. Im gettin an 720 protocol error. The modem dials normally, verifies the uname n password for eircom and then at the registering for the pc on the network i get this error.

From what ive read its down to my pc anyway and Ive uninstalled TCPIP n reinstalled it as this is what most sites suggest for this problem. No change though. Ive tried unistalling and reinstalling all of the components in the dialup connection like QoS etc but no good. Ive obviously deleted and recreated the dialup connections aswell.

Im at the stage where ill have to format again. Would anyone have any suggestions before id do this?
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

google wrote:
    This is the way to fix error 720.
    First go in to your network control panel, then click on networking tab. Make sure that you have TCP/IP and Client for Microsoft Networks Installed and they have a check mark. If there is any IPX/SPX or NetBEUI protocols listed there first remove it. After a reboot go back into the same NCP and choose the settings button.
    Then uncheck the bottom two checkmarks.
    --> Enable software compression and
    --> Negotiate multi-link for single-link connections

Some ISP make it impossible for you to connect because their hardware concider this as a junk information when trying to connect. After done this you will get connectected at your first attempt.

Have a Good Luck

You try those checkmark options ? Sounds dodgy alright. Dial up networking can be a right pain in the arse and sometimes only solved by a complete windows re-install!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

Cheers for that Verb. I gave it a try, still had the problem.

I went for a format n reinstall of xp today and after loading back on sp3 etc im now able to reconnect to dialup. The only thing i did differently with the reinstall i did last week was that i loaded some updated drivers for my mobo. Every looked fine in Dev Mgr. This time i just installed the original drivers that came with the pc. Weird........ Oh well.

Advertisement