Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt Collection Agencies

Options
  • 28-09-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Having seen a lot of posts recently about debt collection agencies in Ireland I am wondering about the legality of them.

Is it not true that the only persons allowed to come to your home and collect debt are Sheriffs who are public servants? And that they need a warrant/court document to prove their case against you?

These other UK based debt collection agencies I hear a lot about - surely they cant do squat with you? My unlce is one person who received threatening phone calls and letters from them (in regards to a BT billing case in which BT are at fault).

Would I be correct in saying they have no powers here and if they ever did show up at your door (and I've never heard of this) you can tell them to F*** off or call the police if they don't leave?

What of Irish debt collectors like Instrum Justita?

I'd just like to find out what they can and cannot do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I assume that they will pester a person for as long as it takes, then add all of their costs to the debt, advise the creditor to take it to court, the end result being the bailiffs knocking on the door.

Debt collectors send threatening letters and make threatening phone-calls. I've not known any to knock on a door.

If it's a BT bill, wouldn't they disconnect whether they were in the wrong or not? In those situations they've got you over a barrel. Contacting Comreg might be the best bet in these circumstances.

Advertisement