Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE news Website...RealPlayer crashing

Options
  • 28-09-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

hope this is the right forum,

Been having trouble with the RTE news website. When i watch the news on the website, it sometimes gets stuck and repeats itself like a broken record. Its a pain in the ass cos i then have to go to Task Manager to cancel it, cos the window won't respond to be closed down. Anyone else having this trouble? Any possible solutions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Which browser are you using? I've had trouble with it in the past with Internet Explorer but Firefox seems ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

I'm using Internet Explorer. I've heard that Firefox is a better browser, but i've also heard of people who can do less things with Firefox. So im going to stick with Internet Explorer for the moment. I dont want to make any major changes to my computer cos it's so important to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Shinto wrote: »
    I'm using Internet Explorer. I've heard that Firefox is a better browser, but i've also heard of people who can do less things with Firefox. So im going to stick with Internet Explorer for the moment. I dont want to make any major changes to my computer cos it's so important to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

So what is it that Microsoft Explorer can do that Firefox can't? Switching from Explorer to Firefox isn't what I would call "a major change".

I watch RTE all the time on BB and have never had a problem (using Firefox).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Whoever told you you can do less things with Firefox was wrong, its a much better, faster & safer browser than IE, and the new Firefox 3 is just amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Sounds like Realplayer is the problem, not the browser. Try updating realplayer or try out Real Alternative or VLC.

As for IE vs Firefox, firefox wins hands down. On the rare occassion I find a site that only works with IE, I use an extension called IEtab (http://ietab.mozdev.org/). This allows you to open a page in a firefox tab using the IE browser engine installed on your PC at the push of a button.

• Advertisement

deman...my Korean Internet banking account doesn't work with Firefox. So it would be a big deal for me to change browsers.

Onikage...interesting suggestion. I shall try updating RealPlayer as you said.

Thanks everybody!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

VLC is a good streamer if Realplayer doesnt work out for you.
    Man I hate realplayer.
    From way back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Onikage wrote: »
    Try updating realplayer or try out Real Alternative or VLC.

+1 for Real Alternative. It is small, light and does not bog down your system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Shinto wrote: »
    deman...my Korean Internet banking account doesn't work with Firefox. So it would be a big deal for me to change browsers.

Were not saying remove IE, its not possible to remove it anyway, but You can have a second better browser and just use IE for banking

Another+1 for Real Alternative, Real Player is evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You can use IE Tab to switch between interfaces when you have Firefox if you want to give it a go anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I don't see any problem in having Firefox and IE on your computer. It's not as if Firefox takes up a massive amount of space on a system. It only takes a few seconds to fire up IE if you find the odd site that doesn't work with Firefox.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling RealPlayer if you don't want to try out VLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

it crashed on me as well, and to allay your fears, i use firefox, google chrome, safari, ie7 and best of all OPERA and a lot of then at the same time. i thought you ahd to use real player on RTE website.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

I too thought you must use realplayer to watch video on the rte site. It'd be great if I was wrong about this because attempting to play video on RTE.ie has always crashed my broadband connection, requiring the old turn-everything-off-turn-everything-back on-again shimmy to fix. So if I can use another media player please let us know how.

I've brought this up previously with NTL to no avail and with some allegedly techy friends. All I ever get is blank stares (or telephonic equivalent). Have long since learned to never to play video on RTE.ie, a pity as it's a site I visit every day. I'm glad to see someone has a similar experience becuase I was beginning to think it was just me. There must be others out there - and a fix - surely?

Or maybe I'm missing something bleedin' obvious...

I too am glad i'm not the only one. Tis comforting to know i'm not alone.

*Sniffle sniffle*

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Yes, a solution from RTE themselves would be great.

Advertisement