Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power Inverter

Options
  • 28-09-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

I got a Power inverter in Aldi / Lidl a while back, if it is plugged to the Cigar lighter of a car, and then i have my TV or what ever plugged into the inverter.. do you still need to add a grounding wire, or will the cigar lighter do the grounding for you ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

pa990 wrote: »
    I got a Power inverter in Aldi / Lidl a while back, if it is plugged to the Cigar lighter of a car, and then i have my TV or what ever plugged into the inverter.. do you still need to add a grounding wire, or will the cigar lighter do the grounding for you ?
    Not unless you have a very long wire attached to the metalwork of your car attached to a ground spike :D Actually, being serious for a minute, I'm not sure .. I suppose you are in a way, in as much as your car, insulated from the ground by the rubber in your tyres forms a frame of reference within which you are "earthed". (assuming the earth wire of the 3 pin plug on the inverter is connected to chassis ground, which it may or may not be).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

you don't need a ground as there are 4 big rubber insulators between you and ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

thanks.. I yas just worried incase i ended up blowing the lap top or worse still screwing up the cars electric's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Think I've the same inverter as OP, there's a little wing nut on the back on the inverter with an earth symbol. Never had to use the earth OP and I've used it for the laptop a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

pa990 wrote: »
    i have my TV or what ever plugged into the inverter..

What wattage is the TV? What wattage output is the inverter? Sounds a lot to be running off a cigarette lighter socket!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 davers

be very careful with cheap version inverters i have actually seem them melt from being used by 2 heavy a source..if its for a ps2/3 or xbox those units pull massive power..again just be careful and read the ratings on the box..

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Most cheap inverters in my experience have a very low output and can easily be overloaded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 davers

yep..agreed i believe the proper one to hold the right load on a ps2 or xbox is about €100..its not that dear for nothing!!

Advertisement