Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sat4Free/Freesat in Ireland

• 28-09-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

How come there are certain companies selling freesat in Ireland. I thought that it is for the UK only. Is it legal to buy an installation from these companies. Does it really matter at the end of the day whether or not you do ?

Personally I think that it is a good thing, saves us the hassle of buying a box up the North or over in England. We get nearly all the channels in the first place except maybe five.

Opinions ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

redout wrote: »
    Is it legal to buy an installation from these companies.

Don't see how it would be illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Are you sure they are selling Freesat equipment? Or just generic free-to-air satellite equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Thet are selling freesat boxes and installation.

http://www.freesat.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Strange that the header of the site says "over 200 channels" while the text says "over 130 channels" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I think its a good idea overall and not illegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Yeah seen these in action. Few people i know cancelled their sky contracts & got this instead. Handy for your ITV's, BBC's & telly eire, but by jesus a lot of the channels are like the hallmark channel, true movies & the likes.. still for a once off €175 those folks weren't cribbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Yes, for basic TV its perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Can anyone recommend a good Freesat PVR system as i am intending on ditching sky for this but i like to keep the recording features as the PVR has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good Freesat PVR system as i am intending on ditching sky for this but i like to keep the recording features as the PVR has?

Not available 'yet'. Talks of PVR box by end of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Thet are selling freesat boxes and installation.

http://www.freesat.ie/

Dont know why anyone would want to fork out so much, when you can get the Freesat recievers so cheap in the North, including Bush HD for £99.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID69/10199369/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|10199181/c_2/2|cat_10199181|Digital+boxes+and+services|10199362/c_3/3|cat_10199362|Freesat+digital+set+top+boxes|10199369.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Time and fuel I guess

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Time and fuel I guess

Yeah, I do agree, but 459euro is one hell of a mark up!
    Think Im gonna have to fill the van up with the Freesat PVR when it arrives and sell the at a "non rip off" price....if the credit crunch dont get me first....:eek:

muincav wrote: »
    Yeah, I do agree, but 459euro is one hell of a mark up!

Surely thats an installed price with dish etc?

Time, transport costs and it is convenient. I was about to catch a train from connolly to Newry this week before I saw the Irish satellite stores advertising them. This will save me the hassle of wasting about 3hrs to get up up there buy it and return. Then you could add another hour onto that for time travelling to and from connolly to home.

I am just purchasing the box only not full installation.

Surely thats an installed price with dish etc?

yep--but a big difference from £179 installed (£80 install+£99 reciever) for the Bush HD in North even with the fuel!
    Goin to Armagh this week, will I get you a load Tony....lol
    yes, I can see the $$$$$ signs now...lol

Time, transport costs and it is convenient. I was about to catch a train from connolly to Newry this week before I saw the Irish satellite stores advertising them. This will save me the hassle of wasting about 3hrs to get up up there buy it and return. Then you could add another hour onto that for time travelling to and from connolly to home.

There will be about half a million Dubs heading to Newry between now and Christmas, and I know you can convince one of them to bring you back a Freesat box...

I could but I am rather impatient and want it now type. Anyway there is no need if they are selling them in Dublin. The thing which I do not get is that if they are not illegal to sell in Ireland then why is the likes of argos, currys and tesco's not selling them. Surely they would do good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mac128

I found this on the detail page of freesat.ie.

* Please note that the above receiver is not the official freesat standard receiver but a free to air receiver pre-tuned with all the freesat channels in order.

Does this clarify things.

NO. Freesat.ie do sell the official freesat receivers. Go and look again.

http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=Freesat__Free_to_air_

Thanks but cant claim the Northern VAT back and would have to charge ROI vat at 21% . Dont fancy having to drive north if a box goes faulty :)

muincav wrote: »
    I get you a load Tony....lol
    yes, I can see the $$$$$ signs now...lol

• Advertisement

Michael sells both free to air boxes and official freesat boxes

Mac128 wrote: »
    I found this on the detail page of freesat.ie.

* Please note that the above receiver is not the official freesat standard receiver but a free to air receiver pre-tuned with all the freesat channels in order.

Does this clarify things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The first Freesat PVR will be available from Nov, price expected to be in the region of £300.
    It is the Humax Foxsat-HDR HD-PVR and the spec. looks impressive.
    The thing which I do not get is that if they are not illegal to sell in Ireland then why is the likes of argos, currys and tesco's not selling them. Surely they would do good business.

I believe there are agreements between Freesat and the approved manufacturers and the large chain retailers like Argos, Currys etc. that the receivers will only be distributed and sold within the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Last week was over in the uk. I went in 3 different shops, they all asked me for proof of address in the uk. These boxes are meant only for the uk, infact during the installation it will ask you to input the post code, what ever post code you enter it will work. I have done some shopping around on the web and I found much far better deals for HD receviers and you still watch all BBC's & ITV's HD channells. I learnt one thing I will never buy any electronic goods from Ireland anymore because we are being ripped off by he second.
    This what I bought for less than £240....
    TM-6900 HD COMBO Super © High Definition Satellite & High-Definition Terrestrial Receiver

Specification

2 High Definition Tuners: DVB-S/DVB-S2 Satellite & DVB-T Terrestrial Compliant (MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 / H.264)
    576i & 576p, 720p & 1080i supported
    1 Smart Card Reader & 2 Common Interfaces (2CI)
    HDMI & Component Output (YPbPr) with Hardware Upscaler to Improve Picture Quality
    Very Fast & Detailed Hardware Blind Search (power scan)
    Ethernet Communication Port
    eSATA Port
    2x USB Ports (Front + Rear Ports)
    PLL type RF-Modulator (Ch. 21- 69) and UHF tuning function
    10,000 TV & Radio Channels
    USB 2.0 PVR Ready via USB External Device
    USB PVR Features: Rewind/Forward, Slow Motion Rewind/Forward, Timeshift (Pause Live TV) & Record Scrambled/Free-To-Air (FTA) Channels & Record current channel and playback a recording at the same time
    Music player & JPEG viewer via USB 2.0
    Fast Software & Channel List download via USB 2.0
    2 Scart Outputs with RGB Support
    Fully Featured VFD text Front Panel Display
    Super Sensitive tuner for very weak signals
    Dolby Digital Optical S/PDIF
    Dolby Digital by HDMI
    S-Video Output
    Less than 1 second channel change
    DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 & 1.3 (USALS) compatible
    Auto Navigation system – select as many satellites as you want to search
    On-screen display with true full color resolution
    Enhanced 16 Favorite channel groups
    Channel control by: Favorites, Lock, Skip, Move & Delete
    Channel sort by: All, Alphabet, Transponder & CAS
    Parental, Installation & Receiver Lock
    Multilingual OSD Menu: English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Dutch, German, Italian, Turkish, Arabic, Russian, Greek, Czech, Romanian, Persian
    Fast & Easy-To-Use Menu System
    Extended EPG and program reservation on EPG
    Teletext & Subtitle by OSD and VBI
    Last channel memory function
    Factory default channel list
    Various games
    Software & channel list upgrade via RS-232C: PC to STB, STB to PC, STB-STB and USB
    Zoom function on Pause & Live channel
    Multi picture display
    Support for multiple language broadcasts
    SCPC & MCPC receivable from C/Ku band satellites LNBs supported: Universal, Single, Single S & C band wideband LNBs
    Multi TV Standards supported: PAL G, I, K, M
    4:3 & 16:9 Screen Formats
    90-250V AC 50/60 Hz
    LNB Short Circuit protection onboard
    Software & channel list upgrade via RS-232C: PC to STB, STB to PC, STB-STB and USB
    Dimension 390mm x 262mm x 67mm
    Available in Silver or Glossy Black
    Options

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Zeppi wrote: »
    Last week was over in the uk. I went in 3 different shops, they all asked me for proof of address in the uk.

Shouldn't need proof of a UK address, just an address. They only ask for addresses for TV reception equipment so they can grass you up to TV Licencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Sorry for the probably stupid question but Im a newbee when it comes to FreeSat! :)

I am moving into a house in Athlone this weekend and there is already a Sky satellite dish on the back wall. If I go up north and buy one of these FreeSat boxes like this one, will I be able to get those Freesat channels like BBC, UTV etc??

Is there anything else I need to check before buying?
    Thank you.

No that is it. Make sure that you have the lnb and the cable.

the lnb is the yoke on arm of the dish by the way! Head up and get yourself a box and all will be fine, providing the dish hasn't gotten hit out of alignment. You might want to borrow someones box to try on it first just to make sure its all working ok, skybox/fta box will all work

TheDriver wrote: »
    the lnb is the yoke on arm of the dish by the way! Head up and get yourself a box and all will be fine, providing the dish hasn't gotten hit out of alignment. You might want to borrow someones box to try on it first just to make sure its all working ok, skybox/fta box will all work

Not sure about the lnb, I'll have to double check that! I might get the box and give it a shot. Thanks a lot !

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Not sure about the lnb, I'll have to double check that! I might get the box and give it a shot. Thanks a lot !

Wait a minute! Just remembered that I have an old Sky Digibox I havent used in over a year I might plug that in and see if I get any free channels. Would save me buying a FreeSat box maybe? ::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

The Technomate 5200D PVR receiver comes preprogrammed for the UK freesat service, all the istings are grouped, only shortfall is no 7 day epg but you do get a PVR receiver that can do lots more beside

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Wait a minute! Just remembered that I have an old Sky Digibox I havent used in over a year I might plug that in and see if I get any free channels. Would save me buying a FreeSat box maybe? ::)
    Yeah, assuming everything is OK, it'll work too.

I just noticed Powercity are now selling a HD freesat receiver at a very good price too!

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-989289

I just noticed Powercity are now selling a HD freesat receiver at a very good price too!

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-989289

That SD Freesat box at €90 is much cheaper than the satellite stores in Dublin that are knocking them out for €130. Fairplay to Powercity, competition is what we need.

These are not official Freesat boxes

Some of those shops are taking the p**s indeed and fair play to powercity, hope more follow here.

• Advertisement

These are not official Freesat boxes

On th ead it states www.freesat.co.uk:
    GRUNDIG
    HD SAT4FREE RECEIVER

Model: GUSAT02HDEX
    PRICE:
    € 229.95

GRUNDIG HIGH DEFINITION(HD)BOX.
    LOOK AT HD BBC AND HD ITV.
    NEW SIMPLE TO USE PROGRAMME GUIDE.
    LOTS OF TV AND RADIO CHANNELS .
    HIGH DEFINITION SATELLITE TV.
    NO MONTHLY BILLS.
    FOR MORE INFORMATION LOOK UP.
    WWW.FREESAT.CO.UK.
    INSTALLATION SERVICE AVAILABLE .
    FOR EXTRA €170 (INCLUDING DISH & LNB).

So what? Its a link to the website. I repeat these are not official freesat boxes they are a free to air box which can receive Free to air channels including freesat channels.

On th ead it states www.freesat.co.uk:

[

Thought it was the proper freesat box? Must have read it wrong, sorry Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Tony is right, they are not official freesat boxes so therefore no 7 day EPG and no auto update when channels move frequencies.. If you go to freesat web page then click on products and you will see what the official boxes are.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Thought it was the proper freesat box? Must have read it wrong, sorry Tony.

No problem, in fairness its a littlle misleading of them to put the link in there without saying what its for IE channel listings. Looks like these units are made by grundig who have a freesat production licience so theres a possibility that it has the seven day epg and this is a "back door" method to sell boxes outside the UK. Not sure channel update will also work. Has anyone bought one that can check this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Very interested in this since i've seen you can free HD content..The official freesat HD boxes are here , on the official freesat uk website.They really are'nt that dear either, for the actual official ones, that is.Have a look on ebay here.It says here, as well that that particular humax box has an mpeg4 tuner built in so it'll work when rte launch their own digital service.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Zonda999 wrote: »
    It says here, as well that that particular humax box has an mpeg4 tuner built in so it'll work when rte launch their own digital service.
    It would need a DVB-T tuner for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

What's all the fuss about? Can't any old disconnected Sky receiver get most of these channels FTA anyhow? Complete with EPG. Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 freesat

Yes tony is correct, these are not the offical freesat receivers, hence the name 'sat4free' and not 'freesat'.

yes a sky receiver has the 7 day EPG but they are not very practical as a freesat or free to air receiver as their channel list mostly have pay-per-view channels which is annoying to the user.

Another advantage is that freesat also will give you Channel Five very shortly and RTE International before Paddys day. So thats two channels that you will not get on Sky in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Ah thanks for the response.Nothing for me here then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

A friend of mine got a FTA system in recently after asking my advice, he got:

The LIDL kit which is a good Comag/Silvercrest receiver €79.99
    Raven 60cms Sky dish €38 from eBay
    Installation €120 to align the dish and run the cable and hook everything up

Total: €237.99 for the FTA System, I didn't like the Lidl dish as it seems flimsy and not up to the job as the Sky dish are ubiquitous and standard plus if he decides to go for Sky down the road he need only swap out the FTA box for a Sky receiver.

Was what I advised my mate to do a good or a bad idea? be honest! He is happy with it all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

so theres a possibility that it has the seven day epg and this is a "back door" method to sell boxes outside the UK. Not sure channel update will also work. Has anyone bought one that can check this?
    Will have a fiddle around with them in work tomorrow and let you know if it's a 7 day EPG and if it auto updates :)

Thanks but you will not be able to check the auto update unless a channel changes transmission parameters like freq etc. The 7 day will be a start though

Kensington wrote: »
    Will have a fiddle around with them in work tomorrow and let you know if it's a 7 day EPG and if it auto updates :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The box on Powercity site looks near identical to their Freesat variant, though model number is wrong with GUSAT02HD, versus GUFSAT01HD for Freesat (the extra F presumably to indicate Freesat). Seems to be lacking Freesat logo on the Powercity image (seems to say Digital HD as opposed to Freesat HD)

Kensington, I'd be curious to know if Freesat llogo is anywhere on the STB, or on the menu. Pics an added bonus ;):D

• Advertisement
Advertisement