Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sat4Free/Freesat in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TheDriver wrote: »
    wonder if RTE will become some part of this at all or just freesat copy, I think it will be just freesat copy and never anything different to behonest, why would rte bother when dtt is coming

Well I wouldn't be surprised if RTE were to launch integrated DDT/Freesat boxes. Perhaps even do a deal with Fresat/sat4free and the manufacturers for boxes with integrated EPG etc.

It would definitely be in RTE's best interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

bk wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't be surprised if RTE were to launch integrated DDT/Freesat boxes. Perhaps even do a deal with Fresat/sat4free and the manufacturers for boxes with integrated EPG etc.

It would definitely be in RTE's best interest.

I would. There would be an almighty hoo-haa from Boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Sat4free article in today's Irish Times
    Friday, October 24, 2008

New digital TV service launched

JOHN COLLINS

A NEW digital television service has been launched this week which could prove popular in recessionary times, as it does not involve any monthly payments to a service provider.

Sat4Free, which is based on the FreeSat service available in Britain, provides access to 76 digital television channels, including BBC One and Two, ITV, Channel 4, Cbeebies, Film4 and BBC News, as well as a selection of British and Irish radio stations.

The number of available channels is expected to reach more than 100 by the end of the year. The service also provides access to the interactive content provided by the BBC.

The service does not currently broadcast Irish stations but will carry RTÉ International, the highlights channel which will include content from RTÉ One, RTÉ Two and TG4, when that becomes available on FreeSat, possibly by the end of the year.

Sat4Free is being sold through Tesco, Atlantic Homecare, Woodies DIY and Powercity shops. A standard version will cost approximately €299, depending on the set-top box chosen, while a high-definition version will retail for about €100 more.

"We are selling the box with an installation package so everything you need is in the box," explains Dermot Fahy, managing director of Irish Power Products, which has launched the service in association with British consumer electronics distributor Alba.

Included in the box is a voucher for free installation.

© 2008 The Irish Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

voucher for free installation, hahaha! WOnder how long til they all sell box only sets!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Now all we need to do is lobby our local politicians to have RTE added to the lineup......... If the old folk get to keep their medical cards- don't see why we shouldn't bring similar pressure to bear.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

interested to know if any installers were approached about this, who are they using for the installs?? is there anyway for us independents to get involved? other than buying some boxes in the North and piggybacking on there advertising campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭deffin

Darth Maul wrote: »
    interested to know if any installers were approached about this, who are they using for the installs?? is there anyway for us independents to get involved? other than buying some boxes in the North and piggybacking on there advertising campaign.

Like the way they say they they are charging €299 with free installation. €100 extra for HD. Have Tesco, Woodies, Atlantic Homecare started selling these STB's as of yet. Are they the very same as the Freesat's products only called SAt4Free here.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Grundig GUFSATHD £149.99 in Currys NI
    Grundig GUSAT02HDEX now €199.95 in Power City while SD model is €89.95. (Installation €170 extra)

sesswhat wrote: »
    Grundig GUFSATHD £149.99 in Currys NI
    Grundig GUSAT02HDEX now €199.95 in Power City while SD model is €89.95. (Installation €170 extra)

I'm impressed- they're not trying to totally milk it- its only about a tenner more expensive.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

smccarrick wrote: »
    I'm impressed- they're not trying to totally milk it- its only about a tenner more expensive.......

So was I. Should be interesting to see Tesco prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I've not been approached as of yet. Independents can get official freesat boxes (from Uk trade sources) if they wish to get involved which is what I am doing. Got an email from Electrolpus about sat4free boxes

Edit :Now the trade price from electroplus matches power city's retail price so no margin on the box.

Darth Maul wrote: »

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I'll bet they are putting the squeeze on the installers price though to make back some margin on the installed product . Could lead to the possibility of lower installation standards as happens with sky's low pay installers. As you say though good to see a cometitive price

sesswhat wrote: »
    So was I. Should be interesting to see Tesco prices.

Supposedly the same from info so far.

Edit: Correction, I'm wroing tesco is supposed to be 299 installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

according to posts on digitalspy freesat is to issue an official statement on the matter ie sat4free using the freesat epg today. should be interesting.

according to posts on digitalspy freesat is to issue an official statement on the matter ie sat4free using the freesat epg today. should be interesting.

Very interesting

• Advertisement

very very interesting!!! Seems Alba are backing the venture so wonder if its them or freesat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Some of the people over on DS said they called Freesat and spoke to a couple of people who genuinely had not got a clue what SAT4FREE was ? Sounds a bit strange that if it was sanctioned. Although they could just have been told to keep quiet about it until an official statement has been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy

Sat4free website down at the moment.
    I wonder is there a correction going on at the website.....

removing all links to Freesat website maybe :D

A bit suspect that. They mentioned on DS earlier that might happen if it goes tits up and they get an angry call from Freesat. Lets wait and see.

/me draws up chair closer to the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What channels are not available on Freesat or Sat4Free - RTE1, Network 2, TG4 and TV3? What about Channel 6?

I'm thinking of getting a telly, seeing as Christmas is coming up, and will probably get some kind of freesat as well.

(Perhaps some advice, if it's not thought too unrelated to this forum? There's a sale to the public over the weekend with Sony TVs about €200 cheaper than normal - but it's in an industrial estate in a kind of trade wholesale place. I'm hesitating because I wouldn't know if a TV wasn't actually Sony, and I'm wondering if I'd be wiser to buy in my local shop, where I can go back and say "Hey!" if it goes wrong. What do you experts think?)

luckat wrote: »
    What channels are not available on Freesat or Sat4Free - RTE1, Network 2, TG4 and TV3? What about Channel 6?

Full channel lineup.

Correct, no "Irish 4" or channel 6. No Irish stations on Freesat at the mo, RTÉ International is to launch on Freesat, when ever it does, could be before Christmas, could be March depending on the source.

You get BBC 1 & 2, ITV and Channel 4 and their ancillary spin off channels. There are no premium sports, movies or entertainment channels like Dave, Sky One or Living.

Some one else may answer the Sony question in more detail, but almost certain Sony only make Sony for themselves, no rebadges there. More chance of a decent warranty in a proper shop than in a fire sale.

Thanks, DMC - is Channel 6 Irish, then? (Sorry, haven't had a TV for a bit.)

Its crap as well as Irish! owned by tv3 now

If I'm buying a TV with the intention of using it with a Freesat/ Sat4Free box and dish, is there anything I need to get or avoid?

A dish and a lnb that can clearly point at 28 degree east unobstructed.

I meant in the TV itself. The local shop's guy says their TVs will work with all of the different satellite inputs - I didn't even know there were different ones.

I meant in the TV itself. The local shop's guy says their TVs will work with all of the different satellite inputs - I didn't even know there were different ones.

And so they will.
    You have to ask yourself what are you looking for in a television- a massive panel on the wall- a discrete panel, something that stands alone etc. Also- which are you going to go for- a large Plasma screen or a smaller LCD screen. A lot of it is personal preference- and differs from person to person- its not a case of simply saying go onto the web and buy a 42" LCD panel etc- it really depends on what you're looking for, and what you want it to do for you.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I don't know much but I recently bought a TV myself so here goes:

There are indeed different ways to connect your sat receiver to your TV, each with its own quality level.

If you are thinking of ever receiving High Definition satellite (you will need a sat receiver capable to do this, most are not) you will obviously need a HD TV. There are varying standards of 'HD' though!

I have a HD Ready TV but I don't (yet) have a HD sat receiver, so I use a simple scart lead to connect them and it's almost as good as it can get. I doubt it's possible to buy any TV (in this part of the world) nowadays which doesn't have a scart input.

So for basic freesat, a basic receiver (non-HD) and a basic TV with scart will suffice.

Hm. My local shop does three brands: Sony, Panasonic and JVC. Normally I'd always buy Panasonic, but the guy there said the JVC actually had a better picture than either Sony or Panasonic in his opinion. Little difference in the price.

I reckon on getting a 32" one and fixing it over the fireplace. Then all I need is the sofa and I can become a prátaí toilge.

• Advertisement

You will futureproof your TV if it has an MPEG4 digital tuner built-in, as RTE have to turn off the analogue transmitters by 2012 at the very latest...... A lot of the TVs out there advertise themselves as "digital tuner" etc- avoid them unless they specifically state MPEG4........

S.

Oh, good tip, S, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭barneyeile

It has some good shows on it if you bothered to look. Shows like The Wire and Heroes. Just because it's Irish does not mean it is crap!

Channel 6 has a special place, though.

(wayy down the Sky EPG, that is! :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

You will futureproof your TV if it has an MPEG4 digital tuner built-in........

Do you know of any set top boxes around at the moment that have an mpeg4 tuner?

Hm. My local shop does three brands: Sony, Panasonic and JVC. Normally I'd always buy Panasonic, but the guy there said the JVC actually had a better picture than either Sony or Panasonic in his opinion. Little difference in the price.

I reckon on getting a 32" one and fixing it over the fireplace. Then all I need is the sofa and I can become a prátaí toilge.
    Over the fireplace is never a good spot to fix an LCD or plasma.
    Too hot and smokey there.Plus you are drilling into the chimney wall-never a good thing to be doing!

bk wrote: »
    Of course down at 32" Panasonic don't do Plasma, if you can afford it I'd recommend looking at a Sony W4000 or even better W4500, these are hands down the best LCD's on the market.

By the way "if you can afford it" (nope!) - how much are we talking here?

I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment, but normally I'd buy a TV that would last for as long as possible - TVs are one thing I'd buy at a high spec. My last Panasonic lasted 20 years, and is still going fine down the road in my neighbour's a year after I got rid of it.

But people tell me that now isn't a good time to spend a lot of money on a fancy TV (if you're not going to have it to spend again in a couple of years) because the spec is changing rapidly, and the TV you buy today may be useless five years from now.

I know this has to some extent been answered here - for which, thanks - but could you elucidate on the price of the Sony W4000 and W45000, please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the TV you buy today may be useless five years from now.

Because the tuner may not work? Buy a STB, solved.

STB?

By the way, I see on an earlier Boards thread that the Sony W4000 isn't MPEG4 capable. Is that still so? Should I therefore avoid it?

Still searching for a price, but can find only reviews. Oh, wait, found one on Peats - €1,150. Hmm. Ouch.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Because the tuner may not work? Buy a STB, solved.

agreed, buy a 1080p set with at least 2 HDMIs, the display quality is what is important, cheap set top boxes, sat or cable decoders will always be available to keep up with what happens with available signals.

Read up on some reviews also, Sony aren't 'hands down' the best. They are a fine brand, but they don't even make the panels in most of their LCDs. In fact a lot of brands have the same panels in them.

STB?

By the way, I see on an earlier Boards thread that the Sony W4000 isn't MPEG4 capable. Is that still so? Should I therefore avoid it?

Still searching for a price, but can find only reviews.

basically Mossy is saying you can use a set top box (eg sky box, freesat box, ntl box, DTT box with mpeg4) to decde the signal and get it to your TV, they all have the same scart/hdmi/rf outputs. Which will work with almost any TV.

Thanks for the translation. All these acronyms mean nothing to me. I speak only human. Be patient.

Oh, just realised, an STB may mean a "set-top box", yes? Does it sit on top of the TV?

What about buy a "1080p set with at least 2 HDMIs" - what does this mean?

Thanks for the translation. All these acronyms mean nothing to me. I speak only human. Be patient.

Oh, just realised, an STB may mean a "set-top box", yes? Does it sit on top of the TV?

What about buy a "1080p set with at least 2 HDMIs" - what does this mean?

HDMIs are the standard input from a HD capable set top box, eg freesat HD box, sky HD box. You would also need to use one for example if you bought a blu-ray HD DVD player in the future.

So say for example in a year you have a DTT box with HD capability, a freesat box with HD capability and a blu ray player with HD capability, then they will all have HDMI outputs. You want to be able to plug them all directly into the TV with no signal switcher in the middle messing with your HD signal.

1080p is native HD, 1920x1080 pixels. Basically, If your TV has this resolution then you will get the best out of any HD signal you put it. TVs should say 'Tru HD' or HD1080 rather than HD ready which just means they will show HD.

Having said all the above, you can go cheap and still get good results if you aren't trying to future proof. To be honest it may not be worthwhile, TVs change quickly now, eg the Sony W4000 recommended above has already been replaced by Sony, with the W4500 which has a few extra features making it quite a step up. The W4000 had replaced a model that was less than a year old also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Guys, talk about DTT in the Terrestrial forum!

To take this back to satellite - I note that www.sat4free.ie is now down. I'm wondering if Freesat's solicitors have been on to Alba about this. Have the recievers been pulled from stores?

icdg wrote: »
    Guys, talk about DTT in the Terrestrial forum!

To take this back to satellite - I note that www.sat4free.ie is now down. I'm wondering if Freesat's solicitors have been on to Alba about this. Have the recievers been pulled from stores?

Sorry Boss:o

Something is afoot, it went down yesterday afternoon about the same time Freesat were supposed to make an anouncement about their involvement (if any).

Likely they have at least demanded that the site is redesigned to not look exactly like the freesat site.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

By the way "if you can afford it" (nope!) - how much are we talking here?

Sony 32W4000 €867 @ http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=348268

Another good one

Samsung LE32A656 €753
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1394086/art/samsung/le32a656-lcd-television.html

It looks like Sony don't make the W4500 in 32" :(
    But people tell me that now isn't a good time to spend a lot of money on a fancy TV (if you're not going to have it to spend again in a couple of years) because the spec is changing rapidly, and the TV you buy today may be useless five years from now.

It is true, while the lads have talked about different input standards like Freesat, DTT, etc. Another important point is that in 5 years we will likely have TV's with vastly superior TV picture quality using OLED or SED technology.

So of course your TV should continue to work fine after 5 years, you might want to upgrade then anyway.

Not to sure about there being a freesat statement. Just turned out to be some guy off DS saying he called them and they would release a statement but never did. No official word as such of a statement being released.

This must be a real kick in the balls for sat4free. They only launched the website on Wednesday and it was apparently obvious the website was a copy of the freesat one. I was in Power city this morning and the boxes are still on sale. I was in Tesco's yesterday and saw no mention of them.

Ok it seems that freesat are claiming no association at all with sat4free.

Sat4Free, which is based on the Freesat service available in the UK, gives Irish viewers access to all FTA UK channels including BBC One and Two, ITV, Channel 4, Film4, plus many more; in addition to a selection of UK and Irish radio channels.
    The service offers both SD and HD receivers, which are re-badged Alba units displaying the Sat4Free name instead of Freesat. The EPG is also an edited Freesat version.
    The pre-set region for this platform is Northern Ireland, with a postcode already programmed in. RTÉ One, RTÉ Two and TG4 are not available on this service, but RTÉ International will be, once launched as a Freesat exclusive channel later this year / early next year.
    Sat4Free is being sold through Tesco, Powercity, Woddies DIY and Atlantic Homecare. The standard-definition version costs approximately €299, with high-definition available at approximately €399. This price includes installation. For those that don’t need installation, Powercity are selling at €89.95 (SD) and €199.95 (HD) without.
    A PVR receiver is planned for the future, but Humax are not willing to comment on their involvement, so it’s likely the PVR will be of Alba Group brand, due in 2009. Panasonic are also said to be planning release of an IDTV version, although the existing Panasonic plasmas with Freesat built-in are available through ROI already.
    With a service so closely matched to the Freesat service, we are quite surprised to find that Freesat have no involvement. We asked whether they knew about the service, and were told that it had been reported a number of times by members of the public. In a statement provided to us, Freesat said:
    Freesat is a UK only service. It has not launched in any other countries and has no plans to do so.
    We really can’t comment any further at this point.
    It would be great to have a similar service in Ireland, but have to wonder what will happen next…

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/sat4free-launches-in-ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement