Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sat4Free/Freesat in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭vsat

Sorry, But I thought this was a satellite trend ?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Mods are any of you paying attention to the thread ? Most of the last two pages has been people going on about televisions and DTT which belong in the terrestrial forum. This thread is going completely off-topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The Cush wrote: »
    Cannot see a combo UK freesat / Irish DTT receiver anytime in the near future.
    I thought the Clarke Tech 5000 etc. have sat and MPEG-4 DTT decoding capability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

murphaph wrote: »
    I thought the Clarke Tech 5000 etc. have sat and MPEG-4 DTT decoding capability?

Can it display the freesat epg and auto update channel changes as with the official freesat boxes?
    The reply was specific to a combo freesat or sat4free box question, the Clarke Tech 5000 is not an official freesat receiver or a rebadged sat4free receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

First off, your welcome glad to help.

The other FTA satellite channels can be added manually and appear from epg position 3000 onwards with only now and next info.
    When freesat was launched only the Humax box had the capability to manually add other FTA channels but a software update in Jun allowed the other boxes to do the same.

Note that some freesat boxes do not currently show now and next for non-freesat services.

Would be interesting to know if that is also the case with the satforfree boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭atellyer

Can it display the freesat epg and auto update channel changes as with the official freesat boxes?
    The reply was specific to a combo freesat or sat4free box question, the Clarke Tech 5000 is not an official freesat receiver or a rebadged sat4free receiver.

I have one of the Clarke Tech 5000 HD Combo boxes and it cannot display the freesat epg or auto update channel changes, but you do get the ability to have both the FTA Satellite channels and the RTÉ DTT channels on the same box and can order your channels any way you wish.

There is still a lot of development going on with the EPG on the Clarke Tech box, so who knows what it will be able to do in the future.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

MODEDIT: Some 19 posts have been moved from here to Terrestrial forum. Probably are a few more posts that need moving, but, the main terrestrial posts are moved.

For avoidance of doubt, this thread is specific to Freesat/Sat4Free discussion. I can understand that it's possible that discussions can go on a tangent with these things, as people want to get the best to suit their needs, but I'd like to keep this relatively ontopic :)

Terrestrial televison forum

Home Entertainment forum, for discussion on new television sets, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Bringing the discussion back to sat4free.

I see that the website is still down. That would be a serious issue for a company just after launch and I would suspect that maintenance may not be the issue - surely some sort of web presence could be maintained no matter what the technical issue might be. I was in Woodies in carrickmines yesterday and noticed that they had none of the sat4free box's on display (they were there last week).

Maybe they sold out... or maybe there is a connection with the website being down and the previously reported statment from Freesat.

It all seems a bit strange and confusing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Strange indeed, perhaps no agreement was in place with Freesat after all

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I was in Woodies in carrickmines yesterday and noticed that they had none of the sat4free box's on display (they were there last week).

There were display boxes in Woodies on the Malahide Road yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

None in Woodies Lucan either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

There was a 'flyer' with today's Examiner from Tesco, and a full page advertisement for Sat4Free, stating you could get BBC & ITV HD for a once-off cost. €299 for SD, €399 for HD including installation. It also said 'available at larger stores only'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Tesco promo insert in today's Indo has a one page advert for Sat4free.
    Sat4free SD box €299.99 (incl. installation)
    Sat4free HD box €399.99 (incl. installation)

"Included in the purchase price of your Sat4free receiver box is full installation, including a satellite dish if required"

I wonder if a dish install is not required is the price reduced? :rolleyes:

The Humax HD PVR @ €387 (£290 + £19 delivery) appears to be much better value if you already have a dish installed + PVR included.

There is a message up there now

"The Sat4Free.ie website is currently offline for routine maintenance.

We will be back shortly."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Alrite lads, i was in tesco in Wilton in Cork there today and they have sat4free boxes. I had a good look at it.It was a goodmans HD box and it looked to be a proper box because that security thingy was wrapped around it. The pricetag on the shelf below it was a bit odd, though.It said the price was 299.99e(Odd that because the price for the HD box is supposed to be 399.99e no??) and it had "discontinued" written over it. Not scribbled on or anything but properly printed as part of the price tag. Odd tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 astra2d

It does seem a bit odd being down for so long, not good for a recently launched service. I had a mail from joinfreesat.co.uk, they said Freesat were not amused by the cloning of their website.

Tony wrote: »
    There is a message up there now

"The Sat4Free.ie website is currently offline for routine maintenance.

We will be back shortly."

Its had message for days......

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

smccarrick wrote: »

yep, that message went up soon after the site went down last week.

So perhaps more like a site re write than routine maintenance?

• Advertisement

Yes this seems to be the case, totally rewritten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

2984072539_d839d8a516.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭breaux

There is a cardboard stand in tesco Galway today with empty boxes of SD and HD Goodman stb's. No prices on the board. Asked one of the assistants there how much they were and he said he didn't have a clue. Asked if you could buy the stb on it's own (no free installation) and he said no. Strange....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭barneyeile

breaux wrote: »
    There is a cardboard stand in tesco Galway today with empty boxes of SD and HD Goodman stb's. No prices on the board. Asked one of the assistants there how much they were and he said he didn't have a clue. Asked if you could buy the stb on it's own (no free installation) and he said no. Strange....!!!
    Curiouser and curiouser!confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

"discontinued" dosent sound good! maybe tesco have had cold feet and are not gonna stock any more of em. the website is probably removing all reference to freesat from it and is taking a long time to reword it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

It looks to be a site rewrite/rebrand. Strangely they have now have a marketing slogan similar to Freesat UK.

Current rewrite "Brilliant TV for everyone"
    2985447414_083f6a3010.jpg

Old site (google cache) "Entertainment like never before"
    2984591133_72e2179dd1.jpg

Freesat UK - "freesat brilliant TV for everyone"
    2984591351_acfaf5978f.jpg

• Advertisement

Zaphod wrote: »
    It looks to be a site rewrite/rebrand. Strangely they have now have a marketing slogan similar to Freesat UK.

Where are you getting this from- I still can't get past the holding page for their Page1?

Edit: I just tried index.html as a test and pulled them up too........ cheers......

This re-write is still awfully similar dont you think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

redout wrote: »
    This re-write is still awfully similar dont you think ?

Yes, http://www.sat4free.ie/index.php?page=home looks very "freesaty".

Perhaps they just had to remove terms which Freesat UK were not happy with.

doesn't look like a rewrite at all, possibly it is still down over a disagreement with freesat after all.

• Advertisement

I think the Sat4Free logo is very cheap looking, and the red, green and blue colours don't help.

Who are the Sat4Free crowd anyway? Did someone say they're actually part of the Alba group, making small adjustments to their Freesat boxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 daphilp

Checked a number of outlets in Cork, and they will NOT sell box on it's own. You have to pay for instalation whether you need it or not.
    Powercity seem to be the only ones selling "just" the box.
    Dave

Have to agree, looks very Freesat to me. They might as well just launch Freesat in ROI and be done with. It's exactly the same, just another logo.
    Welcome to Freesat Ireland!:P

astra2d wrote: »
    Have to agree, looks very Freesat to me. They might as well just launch Freesat in ROI and be done with. It's exactly the same, just another logo.

Its a pity they wouldn't whack a DVT decoder in the box and make it a one stop solution :(

astra2d wrote: »

Think you mean Republic of Ireland :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fshome

Powercity are currently selling an all-in Free Satellite dish, tuner, satellite finder, cables, brackets etc. All for €99. I bought one last weekend. About 3 hours DIY installation, and picks up Eurobird and Astra 2A etc. easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Will RTE be on Sat4Free soon :D

And this the current address for Sat4Free http://www.sat4free.ie/index.php?page=whatissat4free

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

fshome wrote: »
    Powercity are currently selling an all-in Free Satellite dish, tuner, satellite finder, cables, brackets etc. All for €99. I bought one last weekend. About 3 hours DIY installation, and picks up Eurobird and Astra 2A etc. easily enough.
    Is that specifically a Sat4Free receiver you got, or basic FTA? I'm assuming the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fshome

Basic FTA

Well is RTE on Sat4Free or not???

• Advertisement

No. None of the Irish channels are. They seem to be deliberately not saying that on all their promo stuff.

No Irish Channel is on SAT4FREE. UK FTA only.

Why not RTE and TV3 moan that not a lot of us (Irish) dont watch their channels

Why not RTE and TV3 moan that not a lot of us (Irish) dont watch their channels
    It is a UK Service rebadged in Ireland as SAT4FREE. If RTE or TV3 were to be carried on the service it would cost them a fortune for TV rights as they would be broadcasting to the UK as well as Ireland. The British TV channels would also not put up with it either.

Just noticed that sat4free have removed the direct link to the freesat page for channel listings. That is fair enough I suppose but how are people now suppose to know what channel it is that they will receive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Sat4Free boxes are available in Tesco. They are Bush branded boxes. €299 for the SD version and €399 for the HD one.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

jackbauer wrote: »

Yes, actually. The vast bulk of the difference is the installation charge. Argos don't install them. If you want to buy the box on its own, nip down to Powercity. There is as good as no difference between the Sterling and EURO prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

I stand corrected:D nice to be wrong about it though!

• Advertisement

Yes, actually. The vast bulk of the difference is the installation charge. Argos don't install them. If you want to buy the box on its own, nip down to Powercity. There is as good as no difference between the Sterling and EURO prices.

I beg to differ, smccarrick..

Argos sell the installation for £80, and the Bush SD Freesat boxes for £50. So that's a total of £130, = €165 (according to xe.com).

So what they get in the UK for €165, we have to pay €299.

Advertisement