Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Great fans we have

Options
  • 28-09-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

there was only one positive note watching the game today,our fans were brilliant at the end for the last fifteen minutes or so they kept chanting "We are Tottenham from the Lane".How they did this after watching that rubbish i will never know but they must be applauded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

KingdomYid wrote: »
    there was only one positive note watching the game today,our fans were brilliant at the end for the last fifteen minutes or so they kept chanting "We are Tottenham from the Lane".How they did this after watching that rubbish i will never know but they must be applauded.
    its the real fans that make the effort to travel to away matches.its a different story at home when the "boo" brigade are only too willing to let their feeling known when things are not going well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Excellent fans as always.
    However the mentality that the fans that travel to away games would'nt boo them off is stupid, its been done many times, and again recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

If booing is justified then it's fine by me. If millionaire spoilt brats are not giving 100% then they should be booed as they are a disgrace.

Booing is customer feedback in my book.

No point cheering a bunch of tw@ts pretending to be Spurs players.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

As per OP, It was the same in Park Lane throughout the second half at home against Wigan.

I'm sure the powers that be, probably think that most fans are mugs however the majority of us fans were there a long time before the present regime and will be a long time after they've gone.

Yes, us Spurs fans are very critical and sometimes maybe to much but we've been brought up on watching a purist type of football, which seems to have completely dissapeared and to boot the passion has gone with it.

Everyone has a bad day but if you know you tried your best then you take it on the chin but when you know that from the top to the very bottom of the club you can do better then any fan has the right to express their dissapointment.

At this moment in time we are staring at the possibility playing against the like of Doncaster Rovers or Swansea City next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hoddagod

KingdomYid wrote: »
    it was done for the simple reason -WE ARE TOTTENHAM FROM THE LANE
    before this shower of **** took over and we will be after this shower ****-off
    once a yid allways a yid
    the away support has allways been about the club.
    hopefully those muppetts from the "west stand" and the trust who were calling for B M J's head last year are happy now
    as allways proper fans can only be heard by making noise away from home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

yeah, have to agree the singing and chanting from the spurs fans was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

No mention of obscenities being screamed at Judas!! Police investigation etc.

It's tough, but he deserves it for what he done to this club..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

tippspur wrote: »
    It's tough, but he deserves it for what he done to this club..

What he left for more money, more championships and silverware - How unprofessional - When you look at what Berbs has done to us it pales in comparison. Campbell left, Ledders stepped up, that was a real bonus for us! So it was ARSEnal, big deal, what are we fecking 8 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Fcuk Campbell. He deserves all the abuse he gets as far as Im concerned.

Judas Cnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

John W wrote: »
    What he left for more money, more championships and silverware - How unprofessional - When you look at what Berbs has done to us it pales in comparison. Campbell left, Ledders stepped up, that was a real bonus for us! So it was ARSEnal, big deal, what are we fecking 8 year olds.

While it WAS what he but even more than anything the way he did it. I think Reckless printed up some paper extracts from back then and while from career perspective it was a good move it was a REAL F**K YOU to us Spurs fans and the club. Fair enough it was seriously harsh but in pure honestly hands up who didn't laugh when they read the lyrics. It wasn't racist it was just pure hate and we are entitled to express that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

he went to arsenal for the same reason you support spurs...a gloryhunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

he went to arsenal for the same reason you support spurs...a gloryhunter.

Wind up merchant, come back in a week with a better attitude.

John W wrote: »
    Thats bull, we got 30 mil for berbatov we got fcuk all for judas because he told the club lies, like he loved spurs and and that he wanted to stay.. he was our captain for god sake and he lied to the club and the fans. he deserves all the abuse.:rolleyes:

It's not the money, it's not where he went, it's how he went about it that matters.

He lied for months, said he was happy at Spurs, could see no reason why he wouldn't sign a new contract (80k a week was not far off top of the pile in England back then), then walked away on a Bosman to them

If he'd been honest from the start I'd have even accepted where he went.

As for the abuse, he does deserve as much as possible, but not the song the press are making a meal out of. The racism angle is way off, but mocking suicide and the homophobia are not on. What's more is there's no need to drag it down to that level, there's so much more that could be said that would needle him without bringing attention on ourselves. I also hate hearing that fcuking Adebyaor song every week...:mad:

What pisses me off is this whole thing has been whipped up by Redkrapp, I don't remember him ever digging his own out when he was at West Ham and they were glorifying the holocaust on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Agree with u there Ronan about the Adebayor song i cant stand it,and it only draws attention on ourselves there is plenty more we could be singing about.

Once again it's PC world madness.

There was no racial abuse, as reported in some quarters. Yes there was homophobic and judas calling but ffs its football. These things happen and the day theres no banter, rivalry and passion then football will definitely be well and truly dead.

I agree that sometimes fan abuse can go over the top but when youre paying £700-£800 a season, which goes towards a players wages, who then does the dirty on you and joins the team that you hate the most. I think most people would feel justified in voicing some anger.

I believe that deep down, Campbell has a sense of guilt for what he did and especially the way he did it (he should do) and hence the fact he let's it get to him. But reporting it just goes to show the weak character of the man himself. I did'nt see Paul Ince, Graeme Le Saux etc running off to teacher saying 'sir, sir they are calling me names'.

Certain players will always be remembered for defining moments during their career and not always good ones e.g.

Roy Keane - Saipan
    Cantona - Kung Fu Kick
    Maradona - Hand of God
    Vinnie Jones - Being consistently Sh1t
    and
    Sol Campbell - doing the dirty on Spurs

Campbell your just gonna have to live with it or alternatively ..........get counselling.

Also, the FA like to stick their nose in when it's one of the unfavoured clubs like us. Would they bother to get involved if it was
    Scousers singing about Munich Air Crash or that Beckhams missus "takes it up the a*se"
    or when Mancs sing about Shankly or Hillsborough
    or Arsenal, West Ham & Chelsea singing about gassing yids and performing nazi salutes

....very unlikely. Sure why would they when it's only Spurs and they can take a joke but if they cant, well then fcuk em.

I think theres a strong possibility that Spurs will receive an FA warning that any future similar fan behaviour will carry the prospect of restrictions (e.g. away support will be banned).

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Once again it's PC world madness.

There was no racial abuse, as reported in some quarters. Yes there was homophobic and judas calling but ffs its football. These things happen and the day theres no banter, rivalry and passion then football will definitely be well and truly dead.

I have to take issue with this. Just cos it happens, doesn't make it right. I F and B out of me at football all the time, but there is a line needs to be drawn. Would you respond the same way if this was what was being said?
    oi you f**king coon, pretend the ball's a coconut, maybe you'll be able to kick it

That was posted by a bloke on FTL, overheard away to Palace when we lost 3-0. All part and parcel of the game? I used to cringe when some of our lot shouted DVD at YP Lee.
    I did'nt see Paul Ince, Graeme Le Saux etc running off to teacher saying 'sir, sir they are calling me names'.

In Ince's case he didn't need to tell tales, the monkey chants and bananas from those delightful chaps at the Boelyn disgusted everyone as it was, particularly at a time when the anti-racist message was starting to be circulated widely.

Le Saux never faced the vitriol that rSol has faced from our fans, for what it's worth if we stuck to "here for the sailors" as a chant I don't think there'd be anywhere near the uproar right now.
    Also, the FA like to stick their nose in when it's one of the unfavoured clubs like us. Would they bother to get involved if it was
    Scousers singing about Munich Air Crash or that Beckhams missus "takes it up the a*se"
    or when Mancs sing about Shankly or Hillsborough
    or Arsenal, West Ham & Chelsea singing about gassing yids and performing nazi salutes

....very unlikely. Sure why would they when it's only Spurs and they can take a joke but if they cant, well then fcuk em.

I'm not buying the poor persecuted Spurs routine on this one, we've brought this on ourselves. In addition, the FA have made it clear that they can only take action when the club complains, in most of the cases you mentioned I doubt there have been official complaints. That's not to say the clubs condone what goes on in the stands though. Indeed, it is worth pointing out that rSol got that abuse and more when he was at the Goons yet they did not publicise it to the extent that Pompey (and that bitter Spam pr1ck redkrapp) have, which lends itself to the suggestion that the FA are not interested in poking their nose in to the extent you believe.

On the West Ham thing...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/6422059.stm
    Police are investigating a complaint after footage of anti-Semitic chanting at Upton Park appeared on the internet.

West Ham have already launched their own investigation into claims that some of their fans engaged in racist chants before Sunday's defeat to Tottenham.

A police spokesperson said: "The Public Order Branch Football Unit is investigating a complaint of an anti-Semitic video on an internet site.

"It appears to have been made at the West Ham v Tottenham match on 4 March."

The video clip has since been removed from the internet at the request of police.

West Ham said in a statement: "We are a leading campaigner in the Kick Racism out of Football campaign.

"We will not tolerate racist behaviour. We will investigate this matter fully."

The Football Association passed footage of the alleged incidents to police and asked the club to provide CCTV images.

An FA spokesman added: "Racist behaviour has no place in football. We would hope that, if these individuals are identified, they will be issued with banning orders."

The Daily Mail, who have been vociferous in their criticism of our fans on this issue also ran with that story and gave it significant coverage.

We do ourselves no favours with this behaviour, but I fear now we'll hear a repeat on Sunday at the Lane, then an outraged response to ejections from the ground for clear breaches of the club's policy on racism and discrimination.

Wer'e not talking racial abuse because that isnt the issue with Campbell.

I agree that sometimes fan abuse can go over the top but when youre paying £700-£800 a season, which goes towards a players wages, who then does the dirty on you and joins the team that you hate the most. I think most people would feel justified in voicing some anger.

Ince still gets abuse from West Ham fans. Le Saux got homophobic abuse from fans of every club he played against (whereas Campbell get's it from only one).

"Hampshire Police are investigating the issue after receiving a complaint, although they stated after the match that nothing could be done due to the volume of people chanting.
    The FA could not launch an appeal without the club making a complaint and now, after discussions between Campbell and Pompey, that is what is going to happen."

The report suggests only one complaint was made. I find it hard to believe that other games have not resulted in police receiving a complaint or possibly numerous complaints about abusing behaviour of opposition fans, however as you point out clubs do generally not bother to report it because for the most part it is just a part of the game and although they do not condone it, they do accept that it's always been there and always will.

In regards to West Ham article, there is no mention of Spurs reporting the abuse. The FA's only involvement was to pass cctv to police, which is the correct thing to do as afterall it is a police matter. I don't actually recall hearing of anyone being issued with a banning order from this incident.

The clubs own response to the Campbell thing is pretty much what I expected. http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/fansbehaviorareminder031008.html

I am not disagreeing with the fact that sometimes abuse goes way over the mark but a few unique cases where passions run higher than just pure banter.

If Campbell had the balls to hold his hands up and say "look what I did was wrong, I cant change the past but I'm sorry for the way I went about things at the time", then I and probably the majority of fellow spurs fans would say enough is enough and leave him be.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Wer'e not talking racial abuse because that isnt the issue with Campbell.

It was a relevant question to ask Rich because you equated homophobic chanting with banter. For a select few racist remarks are "banter" as well, which begs the question should we shrug it off as part and parcel of the game also? There's not many right minded people consider racism as all part of the game, yet so many are happy to take part in abuse based on a player's perceived sexuality. Seems odd to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

While there was no direct racism in the chant, references to hanging and AIDS are by implication racist when in reference to a black man, as well as being intolerable in themselves. Sol left, I hated it, but there is a culture of negative chanting when we should be backing our team, who need all the help they can get at the moment. The first time I went to the Lane, we beat Leicester 3-0 with a hat trick from Sir Les, but the spurs fans spent most of the day slagging Robbie Savage. It seeems anything goes in the name of "humour". Its sad and childish, and the aspect of football I least like. I hope the FA throw the book at us.

While there was no direct racism in the chant, references to hanging and AIDS are by implication racist when in reference to a black man

Tenuous to say the least.

Football chants 101:

1. Find something you want to say
    2. Find words that then rhyme with 1.
    3. Arrange in verse, commonly sung to popular tune.

The chant is clearly a reference to his breakdown when playing for the Goons vs West Ham and his subsequent disappearance.

The term "hanging from a tree" conveniently suits the song because it rhymes, not because of some bogus cultural reference to lynching (incidently, Judas Iscariot v1.0 hanged himself in remorse after betraying Jesus, Matthew 27:3-5)

The HIV reference is clearly referencing the persistent rumours about Campbell's sexuality, which in itself is homophobic.

TBH, I find it offensive that anyone would associate HIV with any distinct grouping, be that based on race, skin colour, or sexual orientation.

HIV is not just a homosexual disease...can you still say that the chant is homophobic ?..i always thought that the lunacy and hanging from a tree parts were about the real Judas that you mentioned..

I'm agreeing that personal abuse should'nt happen but the fact is...it does, always has done and most likely always will.

The ref's get called a 'wank3r' every week, wherever they officiate. Is that personal abuse or is it ok because he's not a player who earns £80k a week?

I'd always prefer fans to get behind the team rather than slagging the opposition but those days seem to have gone. Not just at Spurs but at every club.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over Campbell getting upset about a bit of name calling but I think it will be harsh if the FA come down especially hard on Spurs when, the fact is, it goes on at every club in some capacity.

I'm not going to the Hull game tomorrow but if anyone is I'd be interested to know if any Campbell abuse chants are raised.

tippspur wrote: »
    HIV is not just a homosexual disease...can you still say that the chant is homophobic ?..i always thought that the lunacy and hanging from a tree parts were about the real Judas that you mentioned..

You are absolutely 100% correct, it is not a gay disease. Taken in conjunction with some other chants we've sung:

Is this the way to Amarillo
    Thierry henry biting his pillow
    Sol Campbell fcuks his arsehole

or the end of the "You are my Lennon, my Aaron Lennon" song which is "and by the way, Sol Campbell is gay"

or "have you ever seen Campbell with a bird?"

or "Campbell loves Barrymore"

or "here for the sailors" at Portsmouth

or "I'd rather have a king than a queen"

It does seem to suggest that his alleged sexuality is being targeted, doesn't it? I don't think it's a huge leap to make to arrive at the conclusion myself. Leprosy rhymes with tree as well...

The chant started in the wake of him going berko after being subbed at half time vs West Ham when he went off to Belgium, it is about his mental breakdown and the desire by some to see him top himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

do ye really not think it was meant in a racist sense? i certainly think it was, or at least a lot of the people singing it meant it in that way.

anyway, here is a good article about it imo
    Tottenham fans have become accustomed down the years to their own people embarrassing them.

Chas 'n' Dave's Cup Final songs, Alan Sugar's court case, Christian Gross's Tube ticket, David Pleat's very slow driving next to kerbs and Gerry Francis's feather-cut are a few that spring to mind.

But I doubt there's been many worse weeks to be a Spurs fan than this, and I'm not talking about the sight of the league table but the sound of themselves.

Let's run in full their favourite song, that was rocking Fratton Park for the best part of an hour-and-a-half last weekend: "Sol, Sol wherever you may be, not long now till lunacy, and we won't give a **** when you're hanging from a tree, you Judas **** with HIV".

A nice hat-trick of racism, homophobia and mental-illness baiting, delivered in the style of Joe Kinnear. Belted out so long and loud by so many fans, the police and stewards were impotent to act because they lacked the manpower to throw them out of the ground.

How sad should the majority of decent Spurs fans feel that seven, yes seven, years after Campbell left them, the focal point of an entire afternoon is casting aspertions on his sexuality, denigrating his colour and wishing him mad or dead?

When Campbell moved to Arsenal I had sympathy with those who pilloried him.

He was the Spurs captain, he was reaching his peak and he walked, for nothing, to their bitterest of rivals. I changed my mind 18 months later when Campbell told me of the deep pain the abuse was causing his family.

That was five-and-a-half years ago.

Plenty of time, you would imagine, for the bitter and twisted to have worked the poison through their system. But they've got worse. Do they realise how small and ugly they make themselves and their club look by shouting into a black man's face that they'd like to see him hung from a tree or killed by AIDS, simply because he signed a contract with the football team who play down the road? The police are looking at arresting the culprits and taking them to court, Portsmouth have asked the FA to investigate and Arsene Wenger is demanding every abuser is identified and banned from grounds. But I can't see these solutions working because it's coming at the problem from the wrong direction.

Advertisement - article continues below »

It needs the majority of decent, intelligent Spurs fans to stamp it out. To let them know how sad and embarrassing their fellow supporters sound. Fans are quick to tell a chairman, manager or striker that he needs to sort himself out. Well how about sorting out your fellow fans?

Here's an example of how it works. On Wednesday when Robbie Keane broke his Liverpool scoring duck a section of Kopites started to sing: "Keano, Keano," to the shock and horror of the majority of fans who identify that as a detested noise from 35 miles down the East Lancs Road.

They drowned it out with boos, then started to sing about his name being Robbie Keane, not Keano.

That chant took off, "Keano" wasn't heard all night, and I doubt if it will again.

In terms of offensiveness, the Keane chant is in a different league to the Campbell HIV/lynching ditty, but the point remains the same. The majority of fans felt ashamed that a section of their own had crossed the line and decided to embarrass them into silence.

Spurs fans have to let the Solbaiters know how sad, juvenile and dated they sound.

Maybe they could do that by drowning them out with a song about Pat Jennings being a Judas who should be tied to a lamp-post, tarred, feathered and knee-capped.

Well the Northern Irishman moved to Arsenal for better money when Spurs were relegated didn't he?

And it was only 31 years ago.

How sad should Spurs fans feel that 7 years after he left, the focal point of an afternoon is denigrating his colour and wishing him mad or dead

Mr Alan wrote: »
    do ye really not think it was meant in a racist sense?

Yes, I do not think it was meant in a racist sense.

Contrast the reception rSol received with that of Defoe last Sunday. The latter was welcomed to the pitch by Spurs fans, even received polite applause when he converted the peno, and was clapped off the pitch by the travelling fans.

It must be because he is a lighter shade of black, is it?

rSol has tried to play the race card on this since he left, and it's bollox. The closest I've heard from Spurs fans on the racist front is a chorus of 10 German Bombers (in Belgium of all places) and individuals shouting DVD at YP Lee (reference to Asian's selling counterfeit DVDs in London boozers)

As an aside, where is the outrage at the continuing anti-semitic chanting directed at Spurs fans? Chelsea, West Ham, Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool (yes Al, your boys are not without form), I've experienced it from them and more. I shared a tube to the Carling Cup final with a carraige full of Chelsea filth singing about foreskins (why are Chelsea fans obsessed with other men's dicks?), I've had the hissing, the "Spurs are on the way to Auschwitz" chants, I've got a foreskin etc etc. "Dirty yids", "Jewish filth", stiff arm facsist salutes as well.

Come to think of it, did Steptoe ever describe his own fans at the Boelyn as "filth" for their chants towards us when he was there, or there treatment of Paul Ince when he went back with United and Liverpool? Has he conveniently forgotten that he needed a police escort when he returned to Fratton Park with Southampton?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i agree that all fans have form, but its been a while since there has been a song as bad as that Campbell one, even if its not meant in a racist sense. The fans should be policed by their own (which was the jist of the article i posted).

I am well aware Liverpool have not been angels in the past in regards to chants be it with yourselves or the mancs, but it is a problem that the club and fans themselves (in the main) have improved upon massively over the last number of years.

The Spurs supporters themselves should make a massive effort to get shot of the Campbell one, to keep the good name of their club intact.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    do ye really not think it was meant in a racist sense? i certainly think it was, or at least a lot of the people singing it meant it in that way.

anyway, here is a good article about it imo
    I read that article mr alen posted in the mirror and thought it was a load of shyte. written by brian reade a well known Liverpool fan, hence his nice comments about the pool fans. but he never mentioned the nice little ditty that the pool fans sing to man utd about the players lieing dead on the runway,(Munich) or the one they sing about posh spice taking it up the a##e. utd fans then respond with there own song about scousers dying at hillsborough.you don't see any uproar in the media over that, or the hissing at the jews that reckless mentioned in his post. if spurs wer a top 4 team they wud b fcuk all said about our fans either.Alan shearer gets dogs abuse from man u fans paul ince gets it from w ham ashley cole gets abuse every where he goes as does robbie savage, grahem le saux got the gay taunts for years, and here we have some people worried about poor old sol. spare me ffs.

• Advertisement

Maybe they could do that by drowning them out with a song about Pat Jennings being a Judas who should be tied to a lamp-post, tarred, feathered and knee-capped.

Well the Northern Irishman moved to Arsenal for better money when Spurs were relegated didn't he?

And it was only 31 years ago.

Sorry Mr. Alan but your article source is a crock of sh1te. Big Pat did not move to Arsenal for better money. He moved because of a bust up with the new manager at the time Keith Burkenshaw. Either your article source is extremely 'away with the fairies' or lying sh1t stirrer.

If you don't know your onions then I suggest you do a bit of research before posting and attaching unreliable sources.

Advertisement