Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€22 for 2.3MB on 02

• 28-09-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭

Got a new C902 lately and the only real data function I have been using is Google Maps. Anyway skip to today and I check my bill €21.99 for 2.3MB of data :mad::mad:

Can this be right? Whats the point having these features on the phone if its prohibitive to use them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Got a new C902 lately and the only real data function I have been using is Google Maps. Anyway skip to today and I check my bill €21.99 for 2.3MB of data :mad::mad:

Can this be right? Whats the point having these features on the phone if its prohibitive to use them?

Sounds about right, at 1 cent a kilobyte.

Get a data bundle, it's the only way.

You will get no sympathy here, I'm afraid, you should have researched the costs before you used it.

Be thankful it is only €22, there have been plenty of threads on this forum started by users who have had bills in the hundreds of Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Best move I ever made was leaving 02 for Meteor. Was on bill-pay with them for years before I saw the light. The same amount of data would have cost me 99cent. They really are gouging their customers with data costs and charging for voice mail. Don't get me started on the iPhone.

However, having said that it's your responsibility to check the cost of data usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I start to feel annoyed by all these threads with people questioning the cost of data in Ireland. Before starting such threads, please READ the price plans so that you don't end up with these types of surprises. It's not like they are hiding these charges. That the pricing IS hideous is another thing, but at least there is no reason to be shocked by the billing if you have done your research. These types of threads have been popping up a handful time. If you want to discuss it further, I suggest keeping to one thread. I am not a moderator, but sure I reckon I have the right to have my two cents said on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Sorry bout that, I know I should have checked before hand but was just in a bind yesterday and needed directions.

Anyway I rang O2 and had the charges halved by a very decent cust. service dude. I suppose this thread might serve as a warning to others. Apologies if this is the equivalent to a "fog light" thread in Motors.:o:o

Urge to kill subsiding.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

That's a great goodwill gesture from o2, congrats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yeah I was getting nowhere until I said that I would consider it a goodwill gesture considering I had just started a new contract. Changed my ancient priceplan too and threw in a data bundle.

I honestly can't fathom how people here complain about the customer service on 02 billpay. Today they basically compensated me for my cock-up. Granted their data pricing is hideous but a pleasure to deal with.

Just wondering about what Tom Dunne said, has there been people stung for hundreds of euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

While its nice that they kindly let you off half the cost, the real issue here should be the price of data outside an add-on. They are still making 99% profit on what they are charging you, they are not really doing you any favours, it just looks that way.

I do agree 100% that you should have read the T&C's on data pricing, its simple enough stuff. However its time we all told them to F off with their silly pricing, especially in this country. But of course that wont happen as long as peoples minds are numbed by reality TV. WAKE UP SHEEPLEEEE!!!

Well thats what I said to them, that the pricing was exhorbatant. I was paying €22 for less than half the size of a short mp3, madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Granted their data pricing is hideous but a pleasure to deal with.

so you pay extra for people to be nice to you, wish I could afford such luxuries:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Sounds about right, at 1 cent a kilobyte.

Get a data bundle, it's the only way.

You will get no sympathy here, I'm afraid, you should have researched the costs before you used it.

Be thankful it is only €22, there have been plenty of threads on this forum started by users who have had bills in the hundreds of Euro.

true with regards to "not checking price before use", but the op has a point when wondering why o2 offer such data gobblers on their ridiculous prepay "plans"... N95 with gps and the most data hungry web browser around + nGage apps etc.??? E90 etc etc...
    But I agree..
    Why do they refuse to offer any kind of reasonable-ish data add-on/tariff for prepay customers? Even meteor adapted... i assume with 70pc of voda's customers being prepay, o2 must have a good chunk of prepay customers as well... And while hyping the web machine iPhone, they take the p*ss out of their prepay customers when it comes to 21st century mobile web use!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Best move I ever made was leaving 02 for Meteor. Was on bill-pay with them for years before I saw the light. The same amount of data would have cost me 99cent. They really are gouging their customers with data costs and charging for voice mail. Don't get me started on the iPhone.

However, having said that it's your responsibility to check the cost of data usage.

Meteor are worse, I'm with them and paid 9.99 for 250mb of data a month, unfortunately one month I went over by about 20mb as I was using youtube on my phone.. Needless to say my bill was over 600 euro for the month. I cancelled my direct debit and refused to pay on the basis that if they are going to over these services, then it should be properly implemented where you either a) can't go over your cap at all, or b) you receive a warning that you have reached your cap and stop using the service.

I got neither and besides all that, it's absolute extortion.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Needless to say my bill was over 600 euro for the month. I cancelled my direct debit and refused to pay on the basis

How did that go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

Guys you think thats bad o2 just sent a bill of over 1200 to my sister for data charges when she called up they said it was a mistake , she does not even use the net .

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ro_bilco

I had a €42 charge for about 6MB on O2.
    (Checked online bill after looking at one youtube video)

Rang them up to add on the 250MB bundle for €7.50 later that day and they wouldn't apply it from the start of the month, only from that minute onwards.

I've made sure to tell others to get on to a data bundle before even using an iPhone for the 1st time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ro_bilco wrote: »

I've made sure to tell others to get on to a data bundle before even using an iPhone for the 1st time.

if I had an iphone off 02, i'd get it unlocked, tell 02 to shove big bills up their ass and i'd move to 3....

awfull pity 3 didn't get the rights to it here, Hong Kong only:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Hehe I don't know yet, I would imagine they will come after me, they can take me to court and I will have a solicitor represent me. Not a chance are they getting this money off me. What a joke of a company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ro_bilco wrote: »
    I had a €42 charge for about 6MB on O2.
    (Checked online bill after looking at one youtube video)

Rang them up to add on the 250MB bundle for €7.50 later that day and they wouldn't apply it from the start of the month, only from that minute onwards.

You ran up a bill and wanted to backdate a new addon so you wouldn't have to pay them so much money? I hope you learnt a lesson in business.
    if I had an iphone off 02, i'd get it unlocked, tell 02 to shove big bills up their ass and i'd move to 3....

awfull pity 3 didn't get the rights to it here, Hong Kong only:mad:

Will you stop going on about 3 already?
    Dave147 wrote: »
    Hehe I don't know yet, I would imagine they will come after me, they can take me to court and I will have a solicitor represent me. Not a chance are they getting this money off me. What a joke of a company.

You are to blame, no one else.

Advertisement