Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smelly question

Options
  • 28-09-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, when I turn the water spray on for the windscreen it smells like somebody hasnt had a wash since 03 when the car was made.....

I ran the system out and leathered it with all kinds of sprays and everything and that seemed to solve it.

I even gave the car Britta filtered water... Smell went away for a day and now it's back.

Question is, if I pour a wee bit of bleach down there, is it gonna do damage ?

VW Passat 03

Cheers lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

is there something dead in the water tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Eh, didnt really think about that.

Obviously not a common issue then ?

not if the smell keeps coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you're going to use bleach then I would recommend that you flush it through the system with the nozzles disconnected. You don't want bleach running down the car, destroying your paintwork and rubber seals.

i'd check the water tank for dead fish, mice, snakes etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Add a fair bit of Dentol (Anti Bacterial from Tesco) in the water tank then after a few days of use you should be sorted.
    Most likely due to moisture accumulating in pipes.

mick.fr wrote: »
    Add a fair bit of Dentol (Anti Bacterial from Tesco) in the water tank then after a few days of use you should be sorted.
    Most likely due to moisture accumulating in pipes.

Thats actually a cracking idea.

Cheers dude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Do you ever put washing up liquid into the washer bottle?

Do you ever put washing up liquid into the washer bottle?

Dont put washing up liquid in. I use windscreen washer stuff I got from a motor factors.

I thought that might be the problem so i tried a different one.... Smell just came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

MugMugs wrote: »
    Basically, when I turn the water spray on for the windscreen it smells like somebody hasnt had a wash since 03 when the car was made.....

I ran the system out and leathered it with all kinds of sprays and everything and that seemed to solve it.

I even gave the car Britta filtered water... Smell went away for a day and now it's back.

VW Passat 03

Cheers lads

I had the same problem in my A4 and I drained all the windscreen washer fluid from the reservior and refilled it with different stuff. The smell then dissappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

I had the same problem in my car, smelled like stinkin rotten apples.....dropped a bit of bleach in, then ran the hose for about 5-10mins allowing it just to overflow....smell hasn't come back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

had similar problem here appeared in a couple of vehicles abouth the same time

i blamed it on mixing halfords screen wash with some other brand/s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

snowman707 wrote: »
    had similar problem here appeared in a couple of vehicles abouth the same time

i blamed it on mixing halfords screen wash with some other brand/s

Funnily enough I used Halfords also.......and then used another brand afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

MugMugs wrote: »

VW Passat 03

Cheers lads

Wash under your arms more often and the smell should disappear

Advertisement