Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 535d... the perfect car?

Options
  • 28-09-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭

Hopefully in the next 12 months I'll be in a position to buy a new car.

The Focus 1.8 TDCi I have at present will probably be sold on to someone in the family. As I like thinking about these things, I'm making a shortlist of what I would like.

There is really only one car on the shortlist at the moment, a 2005 or so BMW 535d. Tax and insurance are not an issue.

Is there a better all round car for similar money (I expect to get a lot by the time i'm buying... €25k, e.g. all the toys and low milage.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It depends on your priorities, really. Personally, I can think of a lot of places i'd rather put that kind of money. For performance, practicality, and reliability i'd take this: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Subaru/Forester/2.5XT/960592/. If practicality isn't such a big concern, i'd sooner a classic of some sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

fine luxobarge - i presume you're 45+ yo op? grand car for the middle aged man - wouldnt mind one myself in a few years when the kids have left home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Im 23 and wouldnt mind a 535d, stunning car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

535d for 25000 lol you get a 530d for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

VH wrote: »
    fine luxobarge - i presume you're 45+ yo op? grand car for the middle aged man - wouldnt mind one myself in a few years when the kids have left home

That’s discrimination - reported.

• Advertisement

?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It's not really, unless you think there's something wrong with being a middle aged man (or VH has the powah to prevent certain people from owning certain cars). Do you? It's certainly carist...um,down with that sort of thing.

my dad had a 530 d and no a 335 d and he is 51

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

rubbish, great car, great to drive, great performance and economical enough for the performance also.

copacetic wrote: »
    rubbish, great car, great to drive, great performance and economical enough for the performance also.
    driving a 535i at moment - think i'm still a bit young for the d just yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

xbox36016 wrote: »
    my dad had a 530 d and no a 335 d and he is 51

Same one you mentioned here perhaps.

Shennanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

"IMO", thats total crap. Whats not "grand" about having it when 20, 30, 40, 60 etc? Id wouldnt consider a 5series a luxobarge either, it just isnt big enough or luxurious enough.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    "IMO", thats total crap. Whats not "grand" about having it when 20, 30, 40, 60 etc? Id wouldnt consider a 5series a luxobarge either, it just isnt big enough or luxurious enough.
    imho everyone should own at least one very fast car before they settle into the armchair - 535d is faster than the average armchair - but its still an armchair

dunno op's car history but unless he's middle aged and balding i'd be suggesting an m3 before a 535d

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I have a 2007 535d and it certainly is close to being the perfect car. I'm 31 and wouldnt consider it fine for only 45+year olds. Getting around 35mpg and I drive reasonably aggressively. Practical aswell for 2 kids. The torque is phenomenal - When I have had a car in the past I have always been thinking of what next - but with the 535d I am very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

imho everyone should own at least one very fast car before they settle into the armchair - 535d is faster than the average armchair - but its still an armchair

dunno op's car history but unless he's middle aged and balding i'd be suggesting an m3 before a 535d

?? Middle aged and balding to own a 535d. I'm not sure you'll have too many agreeing with you there.

I have owned a 350Z which I presume you consider a fast car. Well I can tell you that outside of 0-60 times, the 535d feels much much faster

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ok, well:

More details:
    I'm 26 (I'll be 27 I'd say by the time I purchase)

I like big saloons (no particular reason, i just do!). I like the idea of being able to go to work in a nice comfy automatic. I also like the idea of a car that will toast most other cars on the road. I want something efficient (35mpg is good enough), reliable and sensible.

Have a Ford Capri already, so the classic car/sports car bit is closed off. (I'm not claiming the Capri is fast mind, but it is more fun I reckon than you can get with a fast modern car!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

So which stereotype do M5s, RS6s and S8s fit into oh wise one? Or any number of the recent more insane Mercs?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    So which stereotype do M5s, RS6s and S8s fit into oh wise one? Or any number of the recent more insane Mercs?
    do you really want to start on those type of stereotypes :)

anyway - your V10 diesel is a bit special - but come on - a big saloon with a moderate sized diesel engine and automatic gearbox isnt what i would recommend to a 26 yo

whan my dad was 26 he had a bmw 525i and that was 21 years a go

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Go for it op they are a great car, good performance and I think they look good. Just because you are 26 doesn't give you any reason not to buy one.

• Advertisement

op - we know you have a diesel focus and the capri - is that your car history or is there more - whats the fastest car you've owned?

op - we know you have a diesel focus and the capri - is that your car history or is there more - whats the fastest car you've owned?

a 1986 Corolla AE80 DX Diesel, 1995 Ford Mondeo TD.... :D:D I have been a student or apprentice until now really, so money has always been a major issue.

Fastest car I have driven, prob Merc s600.

Actually a Phaeton TDI is something I wouldn't throw out of bed either, far bigger car though.

Oh, I think the car will need to be diesel for some taxation reason to do with fuel and business that I don't really try to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I would be reluctant to describe any car as “the perfect car” because what is perfect for some people would not suit another. If you are looking for a car in that class then the E60 535d would be very hard to beat.
    I would imagine most who speak out against it have probably never driven one.

so it's been diesel all the way - you really need to get an m3 or similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

nobody needs a M3 :D and certainly not the OP ..he doesn't even want one ...stick to topic please

so it's been diesel all the way - you really need to get an m3 or similar!

I don't like the M3. I know Cyrus had an interesting thread about one, but they are not for me. I dislike the 3 series intensely, possibly for no good reason, but I'll never buy one.

The only quick petrol car I'd consider is the 911, and I wouldn't get much of one of those for the money, not to mention the massive running costs in comparison to a 535d (which shouldn't be too bad at all I reckon...)

peasant wrote: »
    nobody needs a M3 :D and certainly not the OP ..he doesn't even want one ...stick to topic please
    so what can i say? no, i don't think the 535d is the perfect car

whatever you get maidhc best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Drove one of these before. What a car..... In my eyes probably the perfect car as well.......if you can afford it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote: »
    The only quick petrol car I'd consider is the 911, and I wouldn't get much of one of those for the money, not to mention the massive running costs in comparison to a 535d (which shouldn't be too bad at all I reckon...)
    You might be surprised at how much 911 you can get for €25k these days. Remember also that a 3-year-old 535d is far from finished depreciating - that cost alone should more than cover the Porsche servicing bills over say 3 years. Finally, i'd make no such assumptions regarding maintenance costs on a big BMW as it reaches middle age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I think for all round mix of performance, economy and comfort, there's few packages that'll come close to the 535d.

With a Dms remap, it'll give you 340bhp, 0-60 in 5.7 and still give you about 35ish mpg.

Sounds about perfect to me.

Advertisement