Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 535d... the perfect car?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

E92 wrote: »

If anyone thinks the 535d isn't fast, then this 535d will show you that these cars really can move(have a sneaking suspicion the 535d in the vid is chipped though:o).

It even sounds good too, for a diesel of course;)!

Is there anywhere here I can do that (30 to Vmax) here without jailtime and newspaper headlines? Id love to see how far it would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Cyrus wrote: »
    the 530d had turbo issues too i think, but you are right in that the e39 and the e60s are generally reliable cars

oh and the e39 530i was a faster and better car than the 530d, same as in the e60

Cyrus raises a good point here OP, have you looked at a 530i instead of a 535d? 6.6s to 60 vs 6.2s and 30mpg vs 35mpg. Remember that diesel is ~5% more expensive and that diesels can require more maintenence. Also the car would be a lot quieter outside (inside it doesn't matter) and the engine is a lot less complex. Also I reakon you'd pick up a petrol 3L for less outlay.

I personally like the 535d and it probably has far more tuning potential if you want more performance but you'd have to take a good look at the alternative petrol model IMO.

Edit: its the post sept '05 530i that gets 30mpg. Also talking about auto's only.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

maidhc wrote: »
    Does the E60 530d not have 218 bhp though?

In which case the extra torque of the diesel will easily outweigh the difference in power (this is not up for discussion. It is my opinion, and like Maggie, I will not be moved!)

I don't think I'd buy an E39. Fine car, but a very very old design, even older than my current focus mk1. It looks quite dated.

yeah, and the e60 530i has 272 bhp ;) and the torque counts for naught unless you are not able to use a gear box, the e39 530i was marginally quicker than the e39 530d in 90% of situations, the e60 530i is quicker than the 530d in almost every situation and by all accounts is very economical.

I would actually be seriously considering an e60 530i if i was you, but you seem to have made your mind up on the diesel

one other point and i dont know the answer myself, but comparing the 535i to the 530i, obviously the 535i is faster etc, but the engine is based on the old 231bhp unit fitted with the turbos whereas the 530i has the newer, lighter and more efficient 272bhp n/a engine.

Is the engine in the 535d the older engine with two turbos and the 530d the never engine? (just looking about on the net it seems it is, and i would imagine 'newer' versions of the 535d and i will feature the newer blocks)

mick.fr wrote: »
    Let's be serious for a sec here...

have you any idea what you are talking about......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Hopefully in the next 12 months I'll be in a position to buy a new car.

The Focus 1.8 TDCi I have at present will probably be sold on to someone in the family. As I like thinking about these things, I'm making a shortlist of what I would like.

There is really only one car on the shortlist at the moment, a 2005 or so BMW 535d. Tax and insurance are not an issue.

Is there a better all round car for similar money (I expect to get a lot by the time i'm buying... €25k, e.g. all the toys and low milage.)

535d for 25k ? Where?

• Advertisement

Traumadoc wrote: »
    535d for 25k ? Where?

in 12 mths time....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Cyrus wrote: »
    yeah, and the e60 530i has 272 bhp ;)

That is the 2007 revision though. I wont be going near that! :)

Part of me would like a big petrol engine (a big part of me actually), but I need to try and be a bit sensible too!

That is the 2007 revision though. I wont be going near that! :)

Part of me would like a big petrol engine (a big part of me actually), but I need to try and be a bit sensible too!

You need to look at what price you would be getting each type of car for. Unless you do astronomical miles you would never get your money back (on running costs) on a 535d that was 3k (for instance) dearer than a comparible 530i. That would be being sensible.

The sept '05 version has 254hp btw.

Edit: Actually looking at autotrader and carzone the 530i seem to be more expensive than the 535d's. Way lower miles however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The only quick petrol car I'd consider is the 911, and I wouldn't get much of one of those for the money, not to mention the massive running costs in comparison to a 535d (which shouldn't be too bad at all I reckon...)

911, and Porsche's generally, not as dear to run as you think.........ok, my 968 isn't directly comparable (but it's v cheap to run), but as an example, I transferred the insurance off the 968 to an 06 Saab diesel this morning - my insurance went up !!! FFS ! Yep, AXA say 6mths insurance on an 06 1.9 diesel Saab.......is more than 6mths on 3.0 petrol Porsche !!

Go figure...............

Servicing on an 996 isn't that expensive, either, btw..........older ones are more, and the 964 is a robber, but they're not too bad.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ferris wrote: »
    Cyrus raises a good point here OP, have you looked at a 530i instead of a 535d? 6.6s to 60 vs 6.2s and 30mpg vs 35mpg. Remember that diesel is ~5% more expensive and that diesels can require more maintenence. Also the car would be a lot quieter outside (inside it doesn't matter) and the engine is a lot less complex. Also I reakon you'd pick up a petrol 3L for less outlay.

I personally like the 535d and it probably has far more tuning potential if you want more performance but you'd have to take a good look at the alternative petrol model IMO.

Edit: its the post sept '05 530i that gets 30mpg. Also talking about auto's only.

+1 on that. For a (not dissimilar) reason, I want to change my 9-3 1.9 Tid for a 2.0 LPT or 2.3 LPT. The Tid is lovely, but for what I do, a petrol would be more than adequate, as my mileage p.a. is v low, and an extra few litres of juice wouldn't be noticed.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    +1 on that. For a (not dissimilar) reason, I want to change my 9-3 1.9 Tid for a 2.0 LPT or 2.3 LPT. The Tid is lovely, but for what I do, a petrol would be more than adequate, as my mileage p.a. is v low, and an extra few litres of juice wouldn't be noticed.

Yeah I always smile when I read or hear about people worrying about +/-5mpg when their car is losing thousands p.a. in depretiation and the car is costing a fortune to be serviced.

Seriously OP however the 535d is a fine car in its own right, not just good for a diesel. You know you won't regret buying one if you want it and they're good value for money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Does the E60 530d not have 218 bhp though?

It did initially, while the 530i had 231 bhp until about March 05, then the 530i got the newer and more efficient magnesium block N52 engine, with 258 bhp.

The 530i got upgraded to the direct injection N53 engine when the car got facelifted in March 07 and the 530d got an update too at which time the power was raised to 233 bhp.

The 535d had 272 bhp pre facelift and 286 bhp post facelift.

To clear up the confusion about the diesels, all straight 6 BMW diesel engines since the first 530d came out in 1998 use the M57 engine, the only BMWs that don't and have the new N57 diesel engine are the new 730d and the about to be facelifted 330d.

The M57 has been upgraded a couple of times and these models are denoted TU and TU2.

The M57 has either 184 bhp(usually) or 193 bhp(in the facelifted E39 530d) in 3.0 guise(though really it is a 2.9 as its displacement is 2926 cc) i.e. the M57D30 and 163 bhp in 2.5 guise(E39 525d) or the M57D25.

The 2.5 got an upgrade to 177 bhp for the E60 and now it was called the M57TUD25.

However this was not the first car with the M57TU, because the E46 got a 204 bhp 330d towards the end of its life cycle(AFAIR it was when BMW facelifted the E46 in 2002).

The 3.0 was also upgraded to 218 bhp in time for the E60 and this one, like the 204 bhp E46 330d is called the M57TUD30.

The original 535d got this engine except with 2 tubros and this is also the M57TUD30.

The most recent version of the M57 is the M57TU2D30, that comes in 197 bhp(replacing the 177 bhp 2.5 diesel), 231 bhp(replacing the 218 bhp 3.0) and 286 bhp(replacing the 272 bhp twin turbo) guises.

The 325d and 335d will continue to use the older M57 engine in spite of the 3 series getting a facelift and the 330d being upgraded to the N57 lump. The N57 will not make it into the E60, neither will the twin turbo V8 and straight 6 petrols the company offers in other cars. The N57 will be phased in as new models come out, and there will be a new direct injection 1.6 turbo 4 pot which will make its debut in the X1. The twin turbo version of the N57 will make its debut in the 7 series at the Paris motor show apparently, and will replace the LHD only V8 diesel that will no longer be made due to cost, political and environmental reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the 535d engine is beautiful... relyable and most of all... Easy to tune... great gains from little wortht, chipped they break into the mid 300's then with the basic plug and such upgrades... Pull away from most anythign while look Very smart.

be sure to de-badge the boot and keep everyone guessing what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 65,448 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can be sensible and have a big petrol engine, largely depending on your annual mileage.

It's funny nobody has suggested an E60 with a V8 petrol engine. Cheap as chips to buy compared to the diesel, no more to insure than the diesel and probably a lot lower on maintenance. Tax is marginally more but the fuel is obviously an issue when the miles are high. And you can forget about resale. Do some sums before dismissing one though!

My milage is no more than 12k miles p.a.

I'll get out me calculator over the coming months!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,448 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My milage is no more than 12k miles p.a.

You'll be buying a 545/550 so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

If you want a comfortable cruiser thats quick enough to put you balls in your back pocket, I would seriously consider a Porsche 928. You can get a S4 (5L V8) for around gbp5000 - 10,000 or a GTS (5.4L V8) for gbp10,000 - 15,000k depending on condition/mileage. VRT on S4 should be < €2000. Keep the rest for fuel.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/728962.htm

I think this is the best time to buy an S4, the price has bottomed out and will probably stop. They are unappreciated and under-rated, and will probably get a revivial in the next few years. Either way, long-term depreciation will be minimal.

Stunning looks, light, easy to drive quick (unlike a 911, "the widowmaker") and fully loaded. Just ask Unkel!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

VH wrote: »
    imho everyone should own at least one very fast car before they settle into the armchair - 535d is faster than the average armchair - but its still an armchair

dunno op's car history but unless he's middle aged and balding i'd be suggesting an m3 before a 535d

WOW..have to say this but I have never heard such sh*t in my life!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

alpina wrote: »
    WOW..have to say this but I have never heard such sh*t in my life!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You obviously haven't read the "TDi's are quicker than Evo's" posts then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

please don't continue the TDi - Evo conversation here.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Biro wrote: »
    You obviously haven't read the "TDi's are quicker than Evo's" posts then! :D

What ?? I am referring to the fact that a 535d is for old & balding people, end of!

bazz26 wrote: »
    Forget about all this BMW lark. Get yourself one of these next year:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Jaguar/XJ-Series/3.0-XJ6/1219448/

Hummm, I reckon one could do worse. Definately a different style of machine to the 5 series, but that is no bad thing either.

One could argue it is a bit pipe and slippers, I'd be more positive did ford still own Jag though, Tata are an unknown quantity right now and I want to be able to get parts (even if they might be pricey!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Maidhc, from previous posts would I be right in thinking your in the legal profession ? ... well then I have no qualms in recommending this - fortune favours the brave :D

(I just wonder what the VRT office would make of it)

http://www.charlesironside.co.uk/FMPro?-db=ecar2dta.fp5&-format=f-cardetail.html&-lay=data&-sortfield=price&-sortorder=descend&-op=eq&DealerNumber=1044&saleconf2flag=N&-max=2147483647&-recid=33014&-find=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

TomMc wrote: »
    Maidhc, from previous posts would I be right in thinking your in the legal profession ? ... well then I have no qualms in recommending this - fortune favours the brave :D

The OP is 26, not 62;)!

All that said the W124 is the best E-class ever made, and the last of the properly built E-classes. That W124 would be a great car if only the steering wheel was on the right side.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

E92 wrote: »
    The OP is 26, not 62;)!

All that said the W124 is the best E-class ever made, and the last of the properly built E-classes. That W124 would be a great car if only the steering wheel was on the right side.
    What absolute and utter bollocks, E92! :) Rowan Atkinson had one of those, from memory he had a lot of fun after managing to disable the ASR with a paper clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

TomMc wrote: »

(I just wonder what the VRT office would make of it)

http://www.charlesironside.co.uk/FMPro?-db=ecar2dta.fp5&-format=f-cardetail.html&-lay=data&-sortfield=price&-sortorder=descend&-op=eq&DealerNumber=1044&saleconf2flag=N&-max=2147483647&-recid=33014&-find=
    A bit OT, but Charles Ironside had a Mercedes 450SEL 6.9 a few months back with one owner and 24,000 miles. If I woke up and found i'd bought an E60 diesel ahead of that i'd shoot myself in the head.

Advertisement