Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal or Joint?

Options
  • 28-09-2008 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

I can write in joint but I think it's just annoying trying to read it. What is the advantage of it really (apart from it being slightly quicker)??? I use it sometimes in my writing. So a bit of both, but never just joint.

Normal ftw :pac:

So boardies, Normal or Joint?

Normal or Joint? 38 votes

Joint
    0% 0 votes
    Normal
    23% 9 votes
    A bit of both
    28% 11 votes
    I can't write
    47% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I go for the normal way, but it ocasionally corsses over to a mixture of joined and normal. It's defo easier to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I used always write joint because it was quicker, but now I write in a mixture of joint and normal.
    I've changed the letters b, r and z to normal because they look awful in joint writing. The letters f, l and s are constantly changing from normal to joint and back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

My n and r's look the exact same in joint writing:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

mine tends to be a mixture.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I can't write in cursive at all..block ftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

I always write in a mix of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah I write in a mix too...hence why my writing is so childish and scrawly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My writing looks like a chicken has been sitting on the page, whilst an airhorn was fired many times in its ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh also before I read the thread I just saw the title and thought I was going to have to lock a thread on drugs >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I write like my little brother who's in junior infants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »
    Oh also before I read the thread I just saw the title and thought I was going to have to lock a thread on drugs >.<

I was kinda disappointed it wasnt :(

I too have a mixture of both, but no matter what its is generally illegible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bit of both.

Stev_o wrote: »

Same as myself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Always joint. That's the way they teached us in primary school... Well, I think my writing is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Sorry to burst the drugs connection, but it's not called joint writing. It's actually called JOINED writing or cursive writing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Sorry to burst the drugs connection, but it's not called joint writing. It's actually called JOINED writing or cursive writing. :D
    I think that's kind of ironic considering your location :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 russelljames

When we got our mock papers back for the junior cert, my history came with a comment: YOUR WRITING HURTS MY EYES all over the back pages.

ie. my writing is normal but **** its tiny and messy.
    Joined writing was never my thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭leprehaungirl

depends what pen im using.:)......Sometimes its fancy and scrawly others just normal. one thing, whats with lads having really bad handwriting?i have yet to see a boy with good handwriting? am i terribly old fashioned here ?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

depends what pen im using.:)......Sometimes its fancy and scrawly others just normal. one thing, whats with lads having really bad handwriting?i have yet to see a boy with good handwriting? am i terribly old fashioned here ?:P
    We just don't care.

You can substitute that for all things school related actually, except for Mrs. ******* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Bit of both. When I write faster it becomes more joined together, but I don't write that crap we learned in primary school that looks like it was (accurately enough for the time) written by a 10 year old. My "h"s look like "l"s, and I always capitalise the letter R, but I've been told on numerous occasions that I have really nice handwriting, for some reason.

If it's legible and you can write it quickly, it doesn't really matter what it looks like, as far as exams go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I was forced to use joint writing back in primary school. I actually don't know why but they forced us to use it... I've just used joint ever since for speed but for something precise, I'll write it in block. English essays are just very messy joint writing all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My writing looks like a chicken has been sitting on the page, whilst an airhorn was fired many times in its ears.
    No, you look like that! ... your writing looks as though a spider fell into an inkwell, and managed to make its escape across your notebook! :p
    If it's legible and you can write it quickly, it doesn't really matter what it looks like, as far as exams go.
    Seriously, though, that's the important bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

my wiriting when im under pressure if fairly illegible even when its not joined.
    i usually write in joined though just out of habit and for speed.my s's can go really bogey sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No, you look like that! ... your writing looks as though a spider fell into an inkwell, and managed to make its escape across your notebook! :p
    Inkwell, huh? Showing your age now, Mr.Horn!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I write normally, I could never master cursive... my handwriting looks like the demented scratchings of a six year old though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Mainly joint but sometimes if I'm in a hurry I'll use a mixture of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Stev_o wrote: »

Yup mine used be like that too. That's why I changed my r's to normal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Please stop writing 'joint' instead of 'joined', it hurts my eyes.

Joined all the way, my hand writing looks like some sort of fancy script so I'm told!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From a correcting point of view, print is easier to read, though for most people it takes longer to write, while cursive is more prone to sloppiness when the person is in a hurry.

For those with poor spelling, print gives a corrector more of a chance to work out what a particular word is supposed to be.

Tiny writing is a real pain to correct and someone writing like that always runs the risk of severely irritating the corrector who may just give up trying to decipher it and decide it is illegible. Similarly over-fancy swirly writing - nightmare to wade through pages of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I turn my page at a near 60 degree angle when writing so its slopes from left to write!:) Its the way I have always wrote.

Advertisement