Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club or country?

• 28-09-2008 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭

So following a point raised in another thread, which is more important to you in terms of winning competitions.

Would Liverpool beating United in the Champions League final mean more than Ireland winning the European Championships?

Would Bohs winning the Uefa Cup top Ireland winning the World Cup?

It's a choice between the bread and butter of weekly football or the patriotism that comes with international competitions that come around every two year.

Simple question - Club or country?

Which is more important? 102 votes

Club winning the Premiership/Champions League etc
    0%
    Country winning major international tournament
    36%
    PHBCiaranCdecobsuper_furryTöpherChongHelixtherecklessonePigman IIGuy:IncognitoIago_blank_Dub13evad_lhorgbohsmanMaliceapplehunterJazzymeditraitorxabi 37 votes
    Both teams I follow are too sh[i]i[/i]te to ever be in that situation
    63%
    Telgereroar_ieVokesThanx 4 The FishRaskolnikovRuu_OldV9pickarooneysmackbunnybabyparasitebizmarkeirebhoyjesus_thats_greT-b0n3The RoosterBig EarsDavey DevilStringAttractive Nunjoe123 65 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Maybe five or six years ago. I would of said Ireland winning the World Cup would be the best feeling ever. Now, because of the FAI, i couldn't give a flying fook about them.

Shel's winning the First Division over Ireland winning the World Cup anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Country any day of the week, and I say that as a trophy starved Newcastle fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Club no contest, in fact I would rather Arsenal learn to defend from corners and beat Hull City rather than Ireland winning the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Its a toughy. But having experienced pool winning the CL, which was amazing, i can't help but think that Ireland winning a world cup would be just unbelieveable, since we're surrounded by Irish people.

Having said that, I plan on being in Liverpool whenever we next have a chance to clinch a league title/champions league which would probably match it.

So in summary, i dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Country. Simple.

I would however understand a Shels fan for example prefering his club to win something, but even at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ireland without a doubt. **** at this rate even seeing them qualify would rank amongst the greatest days of my life.

I cant see how seeing a country of our size lifting a major title would be outdone by seeing your EL side win promotion or seeing a club you only picked because it is one of the best in Europe lift the CL. Dont get me wrong, I was distraught at the missed opportunity of a pool v Man U final but lets be honest, it was mainly because the Man Us would be suicidal if the pool had beaten them. Half the reason I like Liverpool is that they are the anti-united ;) Backing a top 4 club to win a domestic or European title is too easy, it is like being a neutral and backing one of the hot favourites to win a WC/Euros, there is no fun in that.

Having said that I can understand certain groups in the north of England perhaps feeling England doesnt represent them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Country winning all day everyday

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Club no contest, in fact I would rather Arsenal learn to defend from corners and beat Hull City rather than Ireland winning the world cup.

why because you took a liking to the city of london a while back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

in an ideal world definitely country, primarily because I feel a stronger link to the national side than any club. although between the players not being interested to the FAI's incompetence it is rapidly diminishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

I wouldn't choose any of those options tbh, Ireland to win the WC would be the best, followed by Liverpool to win the prem. In saying that it's more important to me to see Liverpool doing well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

SantryRed wrote: »
    Maybe five or six years ago. I would of said Ireland winning the World Cup would be the best feeling ever. Now, because of the FAI, i couldn't give a flying fook about them.

Sums up my feelings on the issue perfectly. Bohs to win the Champions League ahead of Ireland winning the World Cup, no question.

I just don't have any affinity with the Irish nation side any more. Maybe if the players were actually Irish and the fans were treated better by the FAI I'd change my opinion of the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Definitely country, especially since Ireland winning anything would be such a massive achievement. There's always a great buzz about the place when Ireland are in a world cup. Imagine what it would be like if we actually won the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

club

i despise international football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Actually, that's another reason to hate the FAI.

Fifty fcuking quid for a ticket to the Cyprus game to sit on bucket seats in the Hill!

Actually to see an Irish side in the latter fazes of the Champions League would be a tough choice for me, but like ****ing Liverpool? they are expected to win the league, its not a big deal if they do, same with arsenal, chelsea and other such teams. if i was from liverpool i'd probably think that way.

Publin wrote: »
    Sums up my feelings on the issue perfectly. Bohs to win the Champions League ahead of Ireland winning the World Cup, no question.

I just don't have any affinity with the Irish nation side any more. Maybe if the players were actually Irish and the fans were treated better by the FAI I'd change my opinion of the national team.

Every player is Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Club. Couldnt care less about Ireland and its **** plastic paddy fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Country hands down

'plastic paddy' fans what does that mean? A lot of anger there Ciaran.

why because you took a liking to the city of london a while back?

Nope, although London played a part in me deciding to support Arsenal but I suppose the feeling you get when ireland win a match or the feeling you would get if they qualified is a feeling I don't get with them just never have ,but I do with Arsenal that is not to say that I don't love Dublin, but in terms of football I feel nothing for the national team, where with Arsenal I still get that same feeling everytime I go to a match as the first time I went to Highbury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

'plastic paddy' fans what does that mean? A lot of anger there Ciaran.

***awaits Des's ole ole ole speech***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Bohs beating Bray on Friday would top Ireland winning the world cup for me.

Nope, although London played a part in me deciding to support Arsenal but I suppose the feeling you get when ireland win a match or the feeling you would get if they qualified is a feeling I don't get with them just never have ,but I do with Arsenal that is not to say that I don't love Dublin, but in terms of football I feel nothing for the national team, where with Arsenal I still get that same feeling everytime I go to a match as the first time I went to Highbury.

Well explained, but i mean is this a forced sort of club before country to emphasise your feeling for Arsenal to yourself or is the just genuienly you could never get that buzz watching Ireland?

bohsman wrote: »
    Bohs beating Bray on Friday would top Ireland winning the world cup for me.

what about sweden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

How any Irishman/woman could put their support of an Engish club ahead of their country is beyond me. For shame :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Every player is Irish.

They play for Ireland, but I wouldn't consider some of them Irish. I'm sure some of them don't even see themselves as Irish! I'm not talking about people like Kilbane who although wasn't born here was raised by Irish parents and considers himself Irish.

I'm talking about guys who just know they're not good enough to get a game for England and will play for Ireland because they are eligible thanks to a parent or grandparent (e.g. Clinton Morrison).

Also, repeatedly pleading with Stephen Ireland to return is embarassing. If he doesn't want to play, then **** off. I'd rather pick 11 guys from the local park who play on a Sunday morning than have someone like him in the side. A bit of pride in wearing the green jersey needs to be restored IMO.

the thing is i'd say most people in ireland do or certainly the majority.

what about sweden?

lol, I couldnt name 5 of the swedish starting lineup, Im not big on nationalism. Id be happier to see one of my fantasy pl players score a goal than sweden win the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Club.

There is no country.

• Advertisement

Well explained, but i mean is this a forced sort of club before country to emphasise your feeling for Arsenal to yourself or is the just genuienly you could never get that buzz watching Ireland?

no genuinely never have, even back in Euro 88 before I started following Arsenal, I couldn't get excited, no feelings at all though I do know that period 88-94 when the national team was doing well certainly gave the country a big lift and a new confidence but I just never got excited by it and never have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's club for me but it's not quite as cut and dried as it seems to be for others. When I think back to occasions where Ireland punched above their weight I remember it felt like the whole country was interested in the goings-on. If we won or drew it was hailed as an excellent achievement (unless it was against Egypt in 1990 :mad:) and if we lost well, we were supposed to lose weren't we?

All of that is tempered though, as others have said, by the incompetence and unaccountability of the FAI. If we do have any international success in the future you can be sure John Delaney's happy head will be all over the television and radio. He sure as hell won't need Bobby Robson to do interviews on his behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Funnily enough, ended up talking about this is the pub last weekend and a couple of my mates threatened to disown me lol - it's club by a mile for me. On a purely emotional level, I feel little or no attachment to the majority of the Irish players or the team as a whole. I'm sure it would be great fun if we won the World Cup, but for me it would be little more then an excuse for a piss up and a party.

Des wrote: »
    Club.

There is no country.

What does that even mean?

Lord knows. It sounds vaguely anti treaty, if that has something to do with it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SantryRed wrote: »

Am very close to feeling just like you to be honest.

Let me see though, Ireland winning a major tournament or Liverpool winning the league :| There is a pickle!!

• Advertisement

Let me see though, Ireland winning a major tournament or Liverpool winning the league :| There is a pickle!!

Nah, Xavi helpfully left you with the 3rd option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Country without a doubt. I can't understand how anyone would say otherwise. Ireland winning a major football tournament would transcend the sport itself and leave an imprint on the whole nation.

It would be a moment that lots of people would hold up as one of the greatest points of their lives and future generations would likely end up looking on with envy at those who got to witness such a thing. The chances of it happening of course are remote but you have to dream. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Club for me.

Like to see Ireland doing well, but its all too Dublin oriented for me. A team full of mostly Dubs supported by mostly Dubs.

As a Corkman its an easy choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Club for me.

Like to see Ireland doing well, but its all too Dublin oriented for me. A team full of mostly Dubs supported by mostly Dubs.

As a Corkman its an easy choice.

Usual Cork paranoia. Get over it.

Club, no contest.

As has been so well put already, I'd get a better buzz beating Bray.

Even if it comprised nothing but Lithuanians -- or Corkmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Club. Couldnt care less about Ireland and its **** plastic paddy fans.
    This
    in terms of football I feel nothing for the national team
    This
    malice_ wrote: »
    the incompetence and unaccountability of the FAI. If we do have any international success in the future you can be sure John Delaney's happy head will be all over the television and radio. He sure as hell won't need Bobby Robson to do interviews on his behalf.
    This
    Wreck wrote: »
    I'm sure it would be great fun if we won the World Cup, but for me it would be little more then an excuse for a piss up and a party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Club without a doubt.

I'd prefer City to win the League Cup than Ireland to win the World Cup and European Championships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can't believe people are putting a club that is situated in a foreign country, who they support because they happened to be winning when they were 6 years old, over Ireland.

The mind boggles.

Des wrote: »
    This

This

This

This

Blah.

The FAI aren't the ones going out on the pitch. Saying that you don't give a **** about the National team because of the FAI would be akin to cork supporters saying they don't care about the city team because of that group(can't remember name) who were responsible for their financial problems.

Or Liverpool fans, or Newcaslte fans saying we won't support either team because of the club runners.

Its moronic. I support the national team because of people like Kilbane, Doyle, Dunne, Given, McShane. People who have pride putting on the green jersey not the FAI.

I'm sorry for you if you blame suits for your clubs woes but please don't take it out on the actual team that plays on that pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Club without a doubt, hate international football, hate the majority of Oirish fans and basically wouldn't pay €60 to sit (and occasionally stand to "You Boys in Green" or a Mexican wave).

Shels winning a match would probably mean more to me than Ireland qualifying for the WC, Shels winning the League or FAI Cup would mean more to me than Ireland winning anything.

kraggy wrote: »
    Can't believe people are putting a club that is situated in a foreign country, who they support because they happened to be winning when they were 6 years old, over Ireland.

The mind boggles.

Ill raise you one. I knew an Irish lad in college who supported Man U first, England second, despite not having any family connection to England whatsoever. Gave his frank admission that he supports England because he thinks they are capable of eventually winning something. Wore their jerseys and all, last time we talked he was looking into getting tickets for WC 2006.

Unbelieveable.

How can people 'hate international football'? I always hear that. What is there to hate? Its just football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

shane86 wrote: »
    Ill raise you one. I knew an Irish lad in college who supported Man U first, England second, despite not having any family connection to England whatsoever. Gave his frank admission that he supports England because he thinks they are capable of eventually winning something. Wore their jerseys and all, last time we talked he was looking into getting tickets for WC 2006.

Unbelieveable.

Could have been worse, could have said he supported England because Rooney or Ferdinard played for them.:eek:

How can people 'hate international football'? I always hear that. What is there to hate? Its just football.

Because watching the best XI of country A take on the best XI of country B often means better defending, and therfore edgier 1-0 and 2-0 results. Obviously not as exciting as watching Man Utd steamroll some League 3 side 6-0 in th Carling Cup is it :rolleyes:

Very smart Shane. I meant to add at the end 'its just football. but more important because its your actual country playing'

anyway its nice to see people on boards.ie support companies.:rolleyes:

International football will exist long after football implodes.

International football will exist long after football implodes.

I dont think club football is heading for death but on a similiar point re internationals, what was more enjoyable last year, Top 4 club v Derby or Holland v Italy? Internationals boring my absoloute bollocks. Yes, good teams do have to travel to Liechtenstein etc etc to do mere formalities, however there are so few games that losses and in most cass draws cannot be allowed, which only adds to the tension. Even the CL final would have been considered a pretty damp affair compared to a similiar match between two titans in Euro 08 (again, Italy-Holland, France-Holland, much fancied Croatia v the "I aint heard no whistle!" Turks etc etc).

• Advertisement
Advertisement