Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club or country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The only time I actually enjoyed international football was when none of Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland were involved.

Make of that what you will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Both teams I follow are too sh[i]i[/i]te to ever be in that situation
    Ireland were nominated for most entertaining style of play in the 2002 world cup. The last time we were there.

Did you actually watch us play back then? The passing and speed of our attacking was a joy to behold. As good as anything in Euro 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Country winning major international tournament
    shane86 wrote: »
    Ill raise you one. I knew an Irish lad in college who supported Man U first, England second, despite not having any family connection to England whatsoever. Gave his frank admission that he supports England because he thinks they are capable of eventually winning something. Wore their jerseys and all, last time we talked he was looking into getting tickets for WC 2006.

Unbelieveable.

It's perfectly understandable tbh. There are lots of West Brits who are football enthusiasts. Most of them just follow British clubs, but there are a minority of them who also support the constituent national teams .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pure Cork wrote: »
    It's perfectly understandable tbh. There are lots of West Brits who are football enthusiasts. Most of them just follow British clubs, but there are a minority of them who also support the constituent national teams .

I would rather that then watching someone cheer Gerrard on a Saturday in a Liverpool top and then shout abuse at him on Wednesday night in an England top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ireland were nominated for most entertaining style of play in the 2002 world cup. The last time we were there.

Did you actually watch us play back then? The passing and speed of our attacking was a joy to behold. As good as anything in Euro 2008.

As good as anything in Euro 2008. I'll admit I thought Ireland played well...they had to cos of the Keane thing.

But in no way can you compare their performance to what was arguably one of the best football competitions i've seen for a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

shane86 wrote: »
    Ill raise you one. I knew an Irish lad in college who supported Man U first, England second, despite not having any family connection to England whatsoever. Gave his frank admission that he supports England because he thinks they are capable of eventually winning something. Wore their jerseys and all, last time we talked he was looking into getting tickets for WC 2006.

Unbelieveable.

I know a whole bunch of people who support Man U/Liverpool/Sundireland first and Celtic second, despite not having any connection to England or Scotland. They probably support these because they think they are all capable of winning something. They wear their jerseys and all, last time I spoke to some of them they were heading over to Manchester/Liverpool/Sunderland/Glasgow looking to get tickets for a game.

Unbelievable. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I go to international matches, and do support the team, but absolutely no question that club comes before country. And that would even be the case if if there were no dopey Ole brigade or FAI.

As good as anything in Euro 2008. I'll admit I thought Ireland played well...they had to cos of the Keane thing.

But in no way can you compare their performance to what was arguably one of the best football competitions i've seen for a long long time.

So I can't compare Ireland's performaces with Croatia's 1-0 win against Austria or I can't compare their attacking play to a one dimensional Czech Republic team?

I will say though Ireland's style was more Turkey than Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I just have no affinity with the national team, I dont see them play week in week out, I would be far more likely to support them if the majority of the team were el players regardless of how good or bad they might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

im shocked people would choose club over country.And i say that as an avid liverpool fan. Ireland winning the world cup would be my greatest sporting moment.

I'd say a national team of League of Ireland players wouldn't be that bad actually. The Bulgarian team has good results and their team is comprised mainly of players playing in Bulgaria which isn't that much better, if at all than the League of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Club no contest, in fact I would rather Arsenal learn to defend from corners and beat Hull City rather than Ireland winning the world cup.

I really dont understand this mentality, but each to their own I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

joe123 wrote: »
    im shocked people would choose club over country.And i say that as an avid liverpool fan. Ireland winning the world cup would be my greatest sporting moment.

Would you wear a Liverpool jersey to an Ireland match as a matter of interest? Or would you boo Gerrard at a match between Ireland -v- England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Maybe thats because your club are in another country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

YOUR greatest sporting moment? Do you envisage playing for Ireland in, and winning, the WC?

MY greatest sporting moment was winning the egg and spoon race in the 5th Class Sports Day. I cheated. I used blu-tac.

bohsman wrote: »
    I just have no affinity with the national team, I dont see them play week in week out, I would be far more likely to support them if the majority of the team were el players regardless of how good or bad they might be.

I have no affinity with the Oirland national team, the sort of clown who sports leprechaun outfits and hilarious red wigs and beards, inflatable fruit and/or vegetables or "says hello" on a flag.

Worse still is the players who turn up to play, having no connection to Ireland, their first and only subsequent visits to the country are to Landsdowne/Croke Park and a night in Lily's or Coppers. Init.

Whatever about a team of LoI players, if that did happen I might have a look at the results section of my Sunday paper.

International football lost it's charm for me many years ago.

• Advertisement

LOLZ Des. LOLZ.

LOLZ Des. LOLZ.

Does this not even bother you?

Not even a little bit?
    Des wrote: »
    Worse still is the players who turn up to play, having no connection to Ireland, their first and only subsequent visits to the country are to Landsdowne/Croke Park and a night in Lily's or Coppers. Init.

Mercenary footballers choosing to play for Oirland because it seems like the best option to further their careers?

I have no affinity with the Oirland national team, the sort of clown who sports leprechaun outfits and hilarious red wigs and beards, inflatable fruit and/or vegetables or "says hello" on a flag.

We all know that goon.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

YOUR greatest sporting moment? Do you envisage playing for Ireland in, and winning, the WC?

MY greatest sporting moment was winning the egg and spoon race in the 5th Class Sports Day. I cheated. I used blu-tac.

Did I really have to say my greatest sporting moment AS A SUPPORTER? Your attempt at humour failed just there.

Its a shame international football has lost its charm for you. I want to see my country do well. Country above club is what I think. Like when I hear of players not wanting to represent their country I think its a disgrace.

Mercenary footballers choosing to play for Oirland because it seems like the best option to further their careers?

What? :confused: Joseph Lapira was an amazing player, sure he got a cap because he deserved it, his uncle worked with the FAI.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gotta love 70000 Oirland fans in Croke park, 66000 of which think football is something that lives on sky sports and havent a notion what to do when they get to an actual football ground. Twats. Id rather be gypo than one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

hilarious red wigs and beards,

Ah the ironing.:D

I'm ringing your school btw.

I to fall firmly in the "little/no interest in Ireland " camp (real, active supporting interest I mean). I'll watch them on tv if its on but then I watch any football thats on (especially that gift of an England game we got at about 1am a few weeks back, late night football ftw btw. Nothing better when theres fook all on than a game of live football). I even thought I was on to a winner when I got home late yesterday evenign and witche on the league cup final with half an hour gone, last hour turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax by comparison :). I wont actively support crap because I happen to be Irish.

I went to every home game from 86ish to about 95 , plus a trip to Euro 88. Just dont have an interest now though.

At the end of the day I can glory hunt in International football and support Germany in every tournament, suits me down to the ground (was over there for the 90 WC final and 96 Ec, great times)

I got far more enjoyment and felt much ,ore involved during my week in Athens in May 07 than I ever could following Ireland.

Who'da thunk this thread would turn into EL fans preaching from their pulpits btw?

Does this not even bother you?

Not even a little bit?

Name these players in the current setup? Please Des. They don't exist. Steven Reid born in England for example said at 16 playing for England, that it didn't feel right and made it clear he wanted to be involved playing for Ireland.

Why this 'O' crap? Its very condesceding to people who care deeply for the National team.

I love the way the EPL bandwagon and LOI bandwagon come to some sort of affinity in this thread, all to spite the national team of this country.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Gotta love 70000 Oirland fans in Croke park, 66000 of which think football is something that lives on sky sports and havent a notion what to do when they get to an actual football ground. Twats. Id rather be gypo than one of them.
    this too.

Twats telling people to sit down and shut up.

Stekelly wrote: »

Shup you.

Des you seem to have been deeply scarred by this one goon telling you to sit down at an Ireland game. Is this when you gave up? What would you do if it happened at a Shels game? Stop supporting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I don't even support Ireland as my international team and I'd take them winning a World Cup over Chelsea winning a quadruple any day of the week. Imagine the day afterwards. It would be so much better than watching an open bus parade on Sky Sports News. How could somebody say club

I support the national team and like them doing well. But liking them is only a few notches above enjoying the tournaments as a neutral. Almost like a nice break from real support.

Supporting your club is more serious stuff. Gut-wrenching, week-in-week-out stuff. No matter of your club is here or in England.

Plus barstoolery don't inspire as much irritation in me as Oirland. I have nothing in common with the inflatable hammer brigade, nationalists, the know-nothings who hounded Dunphy to death in 1990 for saying we played sh*t football or the other twats that pop out of the woodwork like clockwork when Ireland get into a tournament.

Who'da thunk this thread would turn into EL fans preaching from their pulpits btw?

Who'da thunk this thread would turn into EPL fans preaching from their pulpits btw? "I'm shocked people would chose club over country".

You got served Des.:D

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I don't even support Ireland as my international team
    What does this mean?

• Advertisement

Des you seem to have been deeply scarred by this one goon telling you to sit down at an Ireland game.

Yeah, because his numptiness was indicitive of the type of person you generally find at Oirland games.
    Is this when you gave up?
    Nope. I got free tickets for that match (home game vs Faroe Islands in some qualifying campaign) and I had nothing better to do.

I was at the game where another set of **** booed that Danish lad, thinking he was Lovenkrands. Pathetic behaviour from more than a small minded minority. I was swaying away from it before that though. It was one of the straws if you like.

Other stuff too.

People not seeing the big picture at WC2002, and the abject failure of the FAI. People saying that Keane shouldn't have spoken out, people STILL saying that, calling him a traitor for talking about the bad things in the set up. It's crazy.

But everything's alright. Init.

What would you do if it happened at a Shels game? Stop supporting them?

lol

Wouldn't happen at a Shels game.

People who go to Shels games realise that real emotions happen at real football matches that aren't being shown in the sitting room while the wife is reading the SIndo magazine.

Mustn't swear, mustn't shout.

Idiots like that turing up at sporting events, clueles morons.

Supporting a club in foreign lands is only a bit of fun. Like me with Roma, I like them because they play nice football, have Totti and De Rossi and I like Rome as a city.

International Football is serious business. Every game means something especially as a country like Ireland, and there is no room for error.

With International football you live and die by your results, look at Arsenal they lose at Hull and now they can change everything nice and handy next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Whatever about a team of LoI players, if that did happen I might have a look at the results section of my Sunday paper.

Bloody hell did an FAI official throw a bun at you at some point? :eek: Unbelievable negativity.

Why hold such negativity towards the national team because people go to football matches to have a good time and enjoy themselves? I don't care for the wigs or beards myself but I wouldn't turn against my national team because some people happen to enjoy that.

PS You must really love Paddy's Day am I right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

look at Arsenal they lose at Hull and now they can change everything nice and handy next week.

I hope you are right ;)

Des hates the Ireland team yet supports a team because they are a local Irish team and begrudges people supporting foreign teams.

Des did you have a problem with these mercenaries who only joined Shels for the money in 2004 and to further their career?

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Who'da thunk this thread would turn into EPL fans preaching from their pulpits btw? "I'm shocked people would chose club over country".

Yes cos this thread is full of fans of EPL clubs attempting to talk down to Ireland fans for supporting Ireland over Liverpool/Utd/Arsenal etc and has no posts about how disgraceful it is for people to prefer the club they chose to support, most likely from childhood, over a country they happen to have been born into.

There is no obligation to support an EL club or the Irish national team and the constant whinging and demanding people should do so only results in driving some people further from ever doing either.

I dont know anyone who would suddenly decide to go with soemthing they have no interest in because they were shouted at and abused about it.
    What does this mean?

I dont ether, Germany all the way for me. The lure of a shot at silverware wins out every time.

Bloody hell did an FAI official throw a bun at you at some point? :eek:

Yes, in a metaphorical sense John Delaney has thrown several buns, a bakery and some bakers at me.

In fact, John Delaney is a very good Baker.

A Master Baker, if you will.

International Football is serious business. Every game means something especially as a country like Ireland, and there is no room for error. .

Tell that to the people organising poxy international friendlies in the middle of otherwise interesting and competitive club football.

Bloody hell did an FAI official throw a bun at you at some point? :eek: Unbelievable negativity.

Most football fans isn Ireland don't realize that the FAI stands for Football Association of Ireland.

This means - nominally at least - they are responsible for our national leagues too. That's our expertly marketed, expertly managed, fiscally prudent leagues that are relegated to an afterthought in favour of flushing money down the rat-hole of the Oirland bandwagon.

This wouldn't concern the majority of Irish football fans because the F.A look after their club interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Bubs101 wrote:
    I don't even support Ireland as my international team
    What does this mean?
    I think Bubs supports Italy (half-Italian or something?)

The reason people don't follow the League of Ireland is because of some of the tripe talked about in this thread.

People will support the League of IRELAND because its Irish. This needs to be advertised. How easy would it be to get people to games if they had 'support irish clubs with british flags behind liverpool, celtic, man utd crests like that Pat's poster.

I dont ether, Germany all the way for me. The lure of a shot at silverware wins out every time.
    You're probably not even taking the piss. Irish sports fans are 95% twats. Mongoloids using 'we' to refer to clubs in other countries, gob****es with plastic hammers who go to matches once a year, knobheads wearing Leinsters jersey one week and Munster the next, and the GAA (words fail).

:D

And they all show up to watch Oirland play. :D

Gaelic is more important than soccer. GAA bashing is lame. Its our national sport. Why people would support a foreign game is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Okay

I've read all your points, and I can see where Des in coming from to a certain extent. I can understand how he sees the mentality of certain supporters. The rugger heads drive me nuts, I hate rugby as a result of menality. I can see what he is saying, the whole plastic paddy thing... FAI and the public not gettin to
    terms/grips with the LOI. I get it all.

But at the same token when I see the likes of Robbie Keane, Duffer, Given, Dunne, Andy Reid etc puttin on a green shirt and representing our country, ya cant but support them. I'd love them to do well.

I really wish Des that more people went to LOI games too, I wish the FAI would cop the f'uck on, and I wish that our supporters would be exactly that - supportive... but it doesnt stop me shouting at the top of my voice for the boys in green

Gaelic pales in comparison to soccer. GAA is lame.

I agree.

• Advertisement

Here's the thing.

League of Ireland football holds attraction for the people who do go because it doesn't attract the kind of muppets talked about in this thread. It's a different experience going to a LoI game than to the pub for "SuperDooperSundayJudgementDay" or an Oirland game. The majority of people present at LoI games are extremely knowledgeable about the game, and you don't usually get arseholes spouting shíte that they heard on telly. (usually because the shíte spouted on telly about the LoI is by recognised clowns like Collins and Dolan)

It's a Catch 22 really, because these are the very muppets we need to be attracting to make it viable.

They should have a "n00b" section in LoI grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You're probably not even taking the piss. Irish sports fans are 95% twats. Mongoloids using 'we' to refer to clubs in other countries, gob****es with plastic hammers who go to matches once a year, knobheads wearing Leinsters jersey one week and Munster the next, and the GAA (words fail).

And they all show up to watch Oirland play. :D
    Good thing you're so different Ciaran mate, any team should be blessed to have you as a fan

Here's the thing.

League of Ireland football holds attraction for the people who do go because it doesn't attract the kind of muppets talked about in this thread. It's a different experience going to a LoI game than to the pub for "SuperDooperSundayJudgementDay" or an Oirland game. The majority of people present at LoI games are extremely knowledgeable about the game, and you don't usually get arseholes spouting shíte that they heard on telly. (usually because the shíte spouted on telly about the LoI is by recognised clowns like Collins and Dolan)

It's a Catch 22 really, because these are the very muppets we need to be attracting to make it viable.

They should have a "n00b" section in LoI grounds.

Wow, I have no idea why the LoI is a joke.... probably nothing to do with this patronising sh*te though :rolleyes:

Yes cos this thread is full of fans of EPL clubs attempting to talk down to Ireland fans for supporting Ireland over Liverpool/Utd/Arsenal etc and has no posts about how disgraceful it is for people to prefer the club they chose to support, most likely from childhood, over a country they happen to have been born into.
    Who is talking down to fans who say they prefer their country over their club?
    It's mainly EPL fans on this thread who find it shocking that people prefer club over country.

There is no obligation to support an EL club or the Irish national team and the constant whinging and demanding people should do so only results in driving some people further from ever doing either.

I dont know anyone who would suddenly decide to go with soemthing they have no interest in because they were shouted at and abused about it.
    Haven't seen much of that in this thread tbh. There are a few EPL fans saying we should all support the national team ahead of our clubs though. This sort of whinging won't make me want to go to the next Ireland game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

your support for the national team doesn't have to be compromised by undesirable elements within the association, at the games etc. Supporting your country ought to run deeper than that.

Trilla wrote: »

I really wish Des that more people went to LOI games too, I wish the FAI would cop the f'uck on,

This is the thing. People on here bemoan the FAI ineptitude at promoting the national league yet the same people seem to think browbeating a decent sized group of potential EL supporters on an internet forum as the way forward.

This is slipping into the all too familiar format btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement