Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club or country?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Both teams I follow are too sh[i]i[/i]te to ever be in that situation
    Anyone else find LOI fans to be very like vegans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Des wrote: »
    Here's the thing.
    are the very muppets we need to be attracting to make it viable.

They should have a "n00b" section in LoI grounds.

Des can I ask ya,

what do you think of the likes of ... Im 25, living in D15 about 18 months and got myself to nearly every nearby game (Bohs) and am supporting them since. I just never saw or had the opportunity to go to LOI games before then. I still follow Manchester United, and always will. but would love if people went to these LOI games. The standard isnt poor, the atmostphere is great most of the time and its football at your doorstep.

Do I fall into that catergory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

stovelid wrote: »
    Most football fans isn Ireland don't realize that the FAI stands for Football Association of Ireland.

This means - nominally at least - they are responsible for our national leagues too. That's our expertly marketed, expertly managed, fiscally prudent leagues that are relegated to an afterthought in favour of flushing money down the rat-hole of the Oirland bandwagon.

This wouldn't concern the majority of Irish football fans because the F.A look after their club interests.

So because you have a problem with the FAI - which I fully understand - you let it sour your view of the national team? That's what I don't understand. It's not like the players are on their side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Country winning major international tournament
    Trilla wrote: »
    Des can I ask ya,

what do you think of the likes of ... Im 25, living in D15 about 18 months and got myself to nearly every nearby game (Bohs) and am supporting them since. I just never saw or had the opportunity to go to LOI games before then. I still follow Manchester United, and always will. but would love if people went to these LOI games. The standard isnt poor, the atmostphere is great most of the time and its football at your doorstep.

Do I fall into that catergory?

I was once like you.

Actually, my last post was somewhat tongue in cheek.

I'm always at my mates to come to games, when they do I even sit with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Stekelly wrote: »
    This is the thing. People on here bemoan the FAI ineptitude at promoting the national league yet the same people seem to think browbeating a decent sized group of potential EL supporters on an internet forum as the way forward.

This is slipping into the all too familiar format btw.

Actually I disagree. On Boards a lot of people think they're too good for the League of Ireland, where the fans are going to come from are the council estates where you have anti-British sentiment yet kids support English teams. If signs were put on bus stops saying 'support irish clubs, with british flags behind celtic, rangers, liverpool, man utd crests it might attract fans.

This may not suit everyones taste but its obvious that it would work.

A lot of people on here won't and never will give LOI a chance as noted by that poll a while back.

You also don't need people like Des who think the league is muck, yet state that people should go watch the game because it's local.
    Talk the league up...more league of ireland teams in my opinion on play passing football than in the EPL on average. Pitches are often much much better as well.

People like Pat Dolan are only good for the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

:eek:

I'm speechless.

Yes he talks the league up. Like after the Berlin match he wasn't accepting Pat's results as some sort of moral victory. Thats what I mean. I was banned for my opinions on the fat man but he does do his best at talking the league up.

You also don't need people like Des who think the league is muck, yet state that people should go watch the game because it's local.
    Talk the league up...more league of ireland teams in my opinion on play passing football than in the EPL on average. Pitches are often much much better as well.

I don't like telling lies.

But the quality is good. You don't need the most talented players to have a good football match. Nobody is saying Lionel Messi standard players are out there, but a lot of teams do try play the game the 'right' way.

I've gone to LOI for two reasons this year.
    1. Because I came to the realisation that if I like football so much I should be going to watch professional football live in my area.
    2.The quality is nice. I wouldn't show up for the sake of it, no more than I would watch a movie if it got bad reviews.

Yes he talks the league up. Like after the Berlin match he wasn't accepting Pat's results as some sort of moral victory. Thats what I mean.

Yeah, good one.

You're going to get banned again I'd say.

o.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes he talks the league up. Like after the Berlin match he wasn't accepting Pat's results as some sort of moral victory. Thats what I mean. I was banned for my opinions on the fat bastard but he does do his best at talking the league up.

You think the best way to get people through the door and commit to something is to lie and just tell them what they want to hear?

Misrepresenting something is a good way to turn people away. ou need to be able to deliver on promises.

I take it you'll be voting for Brian Cowan at the next electon as long as he tells you everything will be ok, just to trust him? Btw how will you choose because everyone will tell you that.

You think the best way to get people through the door and commit to something is to lie and just tell them what they want to hear?

Misrepresenting something is a good way to turn people away. ou need to be able to deliver on promises.

I take it you'll be voting for Brian Cowan at the next electon as long as he tells you everything will be ok, just to trust him? Btw how will you choose because everyone will tell you that.

It worked for the English League.

It worked for the English League.

What?

The EPL and Championship have

1. Better quality players
    2. Better quality football
    3. Better quality stadia
    4. Better quality TV Coverage
    5. better quality women
    6. Better quality food at games
    7. better quality training facilities
    8. Better quality almost everything

What it doesn't have for Irish people is better quality access to live games.

and supporting locally
    and leo burdocks (if it tolka pk or dalym)

What?

The EPL and Championship have

1. Better quality players So?
    2. Better quality football Relative.
    3. Better quality stadia Yes.
    4. Better quality TV Coverage Irrelevant
    5. better quality women Des joke?
    6. Better quality food at games Brovel and pies no thanks.
    7. better quality training facilities Irrelevant
    8. Better quality almost everything

Blah.

Focusing on the quality of football point the most here. Are you saying because the English League has better quality football we can't advertise teams like Pat's and Bohs playing attractive open football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

joe123 wrote: »
    im shocked people would choose club over country.And i say that as an avid liverpool fan.
    That figures.
    Why would anyone's club matter when it's not even in their own country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I don't even support Ireland as my international team and I'd take them winning a World Cup over Chelsea winning a quadruple any day of the week. Imagine the day afterwards. It would be so much better than watching an open bus parade on Sky Sports News. How could somebody say club

lol, if my team won the quadruple I wouldnt even think about watching it on Sky Sports News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This is the thing. People on here bemoan the FAI ineptitude at promoting the national league yet the same people seem to think browbeating a decent sized group of potential EL supporters on an internet forum as the way forward.

You're from Tallaght, Ste?

So if all the LOI fans here stopped "browbeating" you for, say, a season, you'd buy a season ticket for Rovers next year?
    So because you have a problem with the FAI - which I fully understand - you let it sour your view of the national team? That's what I don't understand. It's not like the players are on their side.

I was pointing out why many LOI fans hate the FAI. I said I support the national team but nowhere as much as I support my club(s).

I deeply resent being told I how much I should support the national team
    by anybody, but when I'm lectured by people who are ashamed of the own league. it's offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Hard to say, esp as I've two countries in Scotland and Ireland. If either nation won the entire country would go into a drunken partying meltdown though! I've never really seen my team (Aberdeen) conquer Europe other than on DVD's as I was only a baby when we did it. Much as i'd love for it to happen again, it won't as club football is all about who has the most money nowadays. :(
    Ireland could've won World Cup 2002 - we had an easy route to at least the semi-final, if not the final - and we will probably never have that chance again. If only those muppets at the FAI had run things properly and not created the situation in which the only way they had to make themselves look like the big men in control was by getting rid of one of the best players on the planet by sending him home.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Are there any fairweather goons left going to Ireland matches? I really cant imagine many of them trekking to Croker on cold nights during the Stan era. Granted, Im sure the world cup effect lasted into 2003/04 but from my eperience most of the fairweathers have turned their attention to rugby (the irony of this country going absoloutely batsh1t these days whenever England visit, the prospect of settling scores with the old enemy via a team that doesnt play its own national anthem so as not to offend British sensitivities....whatever). Lad in work heavy into rugby used to be quietly laughing to himself as the rest of the office discussed x y and z aspects of a game they had started watching around the Croker allowing it in time.

Perhaps fairweathers move along. I only noticed rugby gaining massive popularity 4 odd years ago, as the WC football after buzz wore off for this crowd maybe. After all Ive barely heard a word about rugby since we did poorly at the WC last year.

Perhaps a few Trap successes will cause a re migration.

shane86 wrote: »
    a team that doesnt play its own national anthem so as not to offend British sensitivities....whatever).

"Ireland" doesn't have a national anthem. (mostly because it isn't a country) "Republic of Ireland" however, does, but thats not the team that plays rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

"Ireland" doesn't have a national anthem. (mostly because it isn't a country) "Republic of Ireland" however, does, but thats not the team that plays rugby.
    Article 4
    The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Its for another thread but the whole score settling with the English combined with the anthem issue.....meh, I just cant see the relevance.

shane86 wrote: »
    Its for another thread but the whole score settling with the English combined with the anthem issue.....meh, I just cant see the relevance.

The anthem thing is entirely relevant. It's possible that at some stage Ireland could field a team entirely made up of Loyalist protestants from the North. Why should they have to play under the anthem of a country they have no connections with just because they want to play Rugby.

If they were playing football and declaring for us that'd be a different story bu t they are not.

They may as well use GSTQ as ANB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

How can people 'hate international football'? I always hear that. What is there to hate? Its just football.

theres no excitement in it imo. its play not to lose as opposed to play to win.

id watch club football from any national league in the world ahead of international football

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    How any Irishman/woman could put their support of an Engish club ahead of their country is beyond me. For shame :(

coz some people see patriotism as kinda ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'd probably be happier if Ireland won the World Cup than if Villa won the Premiership because the impact on the country would be huge. I just wouldn't get to experience a party like that if Villa won something.

But I'm happier to watch Villa win a match than Ireland. I guess that means Villa mean more to me than Ireland.

Gaelic is more important than soccer. GAA bashing is lame. Its our national sport. Why people would support a foreign game is beyond me.

some people find gaelic to be a rubbish sport, and football to be a thoroughly enjoyable one.

personally id watch most sports, but i honestly couldnt watch a gaa match if i tried (and i have tried). its just such a horrible sport in my opinion. "national sport" is a load of rubbish

coz i happened to be born on a particular land mass with imaginary borders around it i should like a particular sport/team/anything? thats bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des did you have a problem with these mercenaries who only joined Shels for the money in 2004 and to further their career?

Oh I think every Shels fan had a problem with Alan Moore tbh.

Went to bed as soon as I started this topic and can't believe how much it kicked off! Some good debate though and no one appears to have been banned! :D

Anyway, personally it's a club thing no contest. If City were to win the Champions League it would be unbeatable. I get 'up for it' everytime City play. Ireland on the other hand I can take or leave. Obviously it's great if we win and all that but I just don't get passionate for away games against Georgia. World Cup 2002 was fantastic, uniting a country and all that, but there was something so false about lots of the supporters. We don't get false supporters at City (not yeat anyway! :D)

Shels winning the league in 2006 meant more to me though than Ireland getting out of the group in 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Shels winning the league in 2006 meant more to me though than Ireland getting out of the group in 2002.

Well you are Australian after all!!;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Club.

Dont get me wrong, i'd be happy to see Ireland do well but not comparable to wat i'd feel if/when(;)) Liverpool win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Helix wrote: »
    some people find gaelic to be a rubbish sport, and football to be a thoroughly enjoyable one.

personally id watch most sports, but i honestly couldnt watch a gaa match if i tried (and i have tried). its just such a horrible sport in my opinion. "national sport" is a load of rubbish

coz i happened to be born on a particular land mass with imaginary borders around it i should like a particular sport/team/anything? thats bull

The sea is real.

Tauren wrote: »
    The sea is real.

irelands supposed borders go further than the coast you know

Tauren wrote: »
    The sea is real.

The Indonesians don't mind a bit of sea.

Both teams I follow are too ****e to ever be in that situation
    AFC_1903, charlie mchugh, DapperGent, Kingp35, micmclo, The Master, Xavi6, Zaph

Interesting :D , thought you'd be a bit more confident with your new found cash Xavi.

Gotta be Ireland for me, not that it could likely happen in the near future but I think that'd take the biscuit for me.

Interesting :D , thought you'd be a bit more confident with your new found cash Xavi.

He's a realist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Ireland to win the world cup? pffft
    Qualify would be a more realistic target.
    Yes to qualify is my target.

Things have changed since 2002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

jesus christ how the hell could any f/ckin english,scotish or poxy league of ireland team winning their leagues be mentioned in the same breath of comparison to ireland winning the world cup!i actually cant believe the amount of people who voted for club..im a liverpool supporter and i couldnt give a flying f/ck if they won the league if i had the choice of seeing my country win a major trophy.whatever about maybe a league of ireland supporter having a greater allegiance to their club (which i still think is bull) choosing some foreign club over your country what sort of irish person are you?!?

scruff321 wrote: »
    poxy league of ireland

what sort of irish person are you?!?

Indeed

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jesus christ how the hell could any f/ckin english,scotish or poxy league of ireland team winning their leagues be mentioned in the same breath of comparison to ireland winning the world cup!i actually cant believe the amount of people who voted for club..im a liverpool supporter and i couldnt give a flying f/ck if they won the league if i had the choice of seeing my country win a major trophy.whatever about maybe a league of ireland supporter having a greater allegiance to their club (which i still think is bull) choosing some foreign club over your country what sort of irish person are you?!?
    why should where youre born dictate what you like and dont like?

its not like any of us decided to be born here ourselves. nationality is incidental, and imo patriotism is ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

As a person who supports too many clubs, I have to say country.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love Stuttgart to win the Bundesliga, or Shels to get promoted, but I'd definitely rather Ireland even qualified for a major tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

im a liverpool supporter ... some foreign club ...
    Hold that thought.

Actually, it'd be interesting to do a count of LoI (or LoI + EPL) supporters v EPL-only to see how they stack up. My guess is that those with a tangible connection to their club will be far more likely to opt for the 'unpatriotic' choice.

SectionF wrote: »
    Hold that thought.

Actually, it'd be interesting to do a count of LoI (or LoI + EPL) supporters v EPL-only to see how they stack up. My guess is that those with a tangible connection to their club will be far more likely to opt for the 'unpatriotic' choice.

Start that thread Section F!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trilla wrote: »
    He's a realist!

Indeed. At the end the day, inspite if all that cash, we're still City.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Indeed. At the end the day, inspite if all that cash, we're still City.

Ah it would be good for the premiership if City shook it up a little. Maybe a holding MF and a fullback during the Jan Transfer window would be enough for a Uefa place? Then next year expect a trophy. See, its as black and white as that!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I couldnt choose between them both really :D Unlikely as they are both ever to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hold that thought.

"tangible connection" me bollix, for most people (including those who support their 'local' team), their choice of club is entirely arbitrary.

How much more arbitrary can you get than proximity? Gimme a break

Hold that thought.

There is many posters on here who support English teams who say the english club come first. judging by the results, only celtic fans seem to prefer Ireland over their club for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

whatever about maybe a league of ireland supporter having a greater allegiance to their club (which i still think is bull)

You're right. Irish fans of English clubs are far more hardcore.

Going to games week in, week out ain't nothing like going to three games a season and having a sub to Sky/Setanta.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    "tangible connection" me bollix, for most people (including those who support their 'local' team), their choice of club is entirely arbitrary.

How much more arbitrary can you get than proximity? Gimme a break

Tangible as in actually own a part of the club, do stuff for the survival of the club, sell spot-the-balls or forecast coupons to your mates for a euro a pop. Stuff like that.

Or maybe even have had a couple of pints and shoot the breeze with the players. Something you'll never be able to do with the superstars.

Advertisement