Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club or country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Both teams I follow are too sh[i]i[/i]te to ever be in that situation
    Helix wrote: »
    why should where youre born dictate what you like and dont like?

its not like any of us decided to be born here ourselves. nationality is incidental, and imo patriotism is ridiculous

Why did you end up supporting Villa and not Stade Rennais?

Why do you think Villa get all those people through the gate every week?

Do you not find tribalism ridiculous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Country winning major international tournament
    SectionF wrote: »
    Hold that thought.

Actually, it'd be interesting to do a count of LoI (or LoI + EPL) supporters v EPL-only to see how they stack up.
    Trilla wrote: »
    Start that thread Section F!

Section F has logged off, anyone any objections to me starting that poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Des wrote: »
    Tangible as in actually own a part of the club, do stuff for the survival of the club, sell spot-the-balls or forecast coupons to your mates for a euro a pop. Stuff like that.

Or maybe even have had a couple of pints and shoot the breeze with the players. Something you'll never be able to do with the superstars.
    You think the local Manchunians or the 50,000 season ticket holders get to sit down for a pint with Ryan Giggs in the Blaze after every match? I guess you have to support a small club to be considered to have a tangible connection to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Did you deliberately not read the words "or maybe"? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Why did you end up supporting Villa and not Stade Rennais?

Why do you think Villa get all those people through the gate every week?

Do you not find tribalism ridiculous?

my cousin was a trainee at villa, mainly

i dont find tribalism ridiculous no, just patriotism

i know thats a bit odd, but there you go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Dave! wrote: »
    How much more arbitrary can you get than proximity? Gimme a break
    This is getting a bit post-modern. :D How more critical can you get than proximity, unless you spend all your life on the internet or watching television?

Here in the real world, proximity is crucial, and certainly not just for LoI.

Any self-respecting English football fan will support a club from their neck of the woods (even if it's Newcastle!). All others are bandwagonners who gravitate to the top four, thereafter to pledge undying allegiance to a brand, as in, I'm up for Halliburton. No, I prefer Shell Oil.

Proximity means that you can go to all the home games and really be part of the club, rather than being, at best, a day-tripper.

Did you deliberately not read the words "or maybe"? :confused:
    Nope but the rest of the stuff is arbitrary too. How much of a contribution do I have to make Des? My family own shares in United. Not many, but then we're not rich. How much of a % of the club do I have to own?

I buy shirts most years if I have the money. I only work part-time cos I'm in college, and shirts are expensive, but y'know I budget for it. Failing that, Christmas and birthdays may result in a shirt. That money goes to the club Des.

I buy merchandise from time to time too. Got the season review and the champions league DVD this year. I don't imagine all of it goes to the club, but some of it does anyway.

I've not been in a position to go over to Manchester until this year, but go is what I did in August and had a great time. Bought tickets for the match (money --> club), went into the museum to learn a bit more about it, toured the ground. Kinda expensive, but ahh well. I'm also buying tickets for a couple of games off one of the lads on the forum actually! So I'll be taking my da over in December and probably a friend in February. Can't wait.

Sorry, but I don't sell any raffle tickets.

Enjoy your day trips

Proximity means that you can go to all the home games and really be part of the club, rather than being, at best, a day-tripper.

the majority of fans who go to any clubs home games are essentially day trippers to the stadium for each match tho, no?

i go to every home villa match, flying out in the morning and back that night. what more exactly do the other thousands of local villa fans do that i dont?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lads, this stuff gets insanely boring going over it again and again and again and again and again every few days.

• Advertisement

the majority of fans who go to any clubs home games are essentially day trippers to the stadium for each match tho, no?

i go to every home villa match, flying out in the morning and back that night. what more exactly do the other thousands of local villa fans do that i dont?

Get a bus or taxi.

Congratulations on having the moolah to fly each week. You're hardly a typical fan, now are you?

Get a bus or taxi.

Congratulations on having the moolah to fly each week. You're hardly a typical fan, now are you?

theres a good few villa fans who go over every week

i also know 9 or 10 united supporters who go to 20-25 games a season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lads, this stuff gets insanely boring going over it again and again and again and again and again every few days.

How boring?

Very boring?

Or boring on the scale of the perpetual, bitter micro-arguments between Liverpool and United fans?

Enjoy your day trips
    Enjoy domestic football, lol
    This is getting a bit post-modern. :D How more critical can you get than proximity, unless you spend all your life on the internet or watching television?

Here in the real world, proximity is crucial, and certainly not just for LoI.

Any self-respecting English football fan will support a club from their neck of the woods (even if it's Newcastle!). All others are bandwagonners who gravitate to the top four, thereafter to pledge undying allegiance to a brand, as in, I'm up for Halliburton. No, I prefer Shell Oil.

What if say I live equidistant from 2 stadiums? Who do I choose then?!?! What a dilemma!

Or what if say I live beside Anfield, but my dad played for United for 15 years? Doesn't seem fair that I should be brow-beaten for supporting my dad's old club. He doesn't even have to play for them -- maybe he worked there as a groundsman for 35 years. I'd not feel ashamed about supporting a club that my father played a role in. I'd certainly consider it a more 'noble' reason than 'sure it's just around the corner, I might as well.....!'

I'd certainly consider it a more 'noble' reason than 'sure it's just around the corner, I might as well.....!'

Why not support Germany, Spain or England instead of supporting a sh*t international team on the basis of sure it's just my country, I might as well.

stovelid wrote: »
    Why not support Germany, Spain or England instead of supporting a sh*t international team on the basis of sure it's just my country, I might as well.
    I agree, patriotism and nationalism are pretty silly alright :)

What if say I live equidistant from 2 stadiums? Who do I choose then?!?! What a dilemma!

Or what if say I live beside Anfield, but my dad played for United for 15 years? Doesn't seem fair that I should be brow-beaten for supporting my dad's old club. He doesn't even have to play for them -- maybe he worked there as a groundsman for 35 years. I'd not feel ashamed about supporting a club that my father played a role in. I'd certainly consider it a more 'noble' reason than 'sure it's just around the corner, I might as well.....!'
    What? I mean, really, what on earth does that mean?
    If he did work for them, then that would be a good reason to support them. But I take it he didn't, so why on earth are you bringing it up?
    If I lived in west London, I'd probably follow Chelsea. :eek: But, thank God, I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I live near Dalymount

I like soccer

I like Bohs

I go to see Bohs play

It costs me feck all

They're Irish. I'm Irish. (so what I know - but it means somethin to me)

Supporting these clubs means supporting the game in this country

Which means quality and atmostphere improves as more support comes in

I think it would be great if people supported an Irish club along with their over the seas team, until they catch up on them (not in my lifetime!)

I love football - and to football I shall go.

Custard

Trilla wrote: »
    I think it would be great if people supported an Irish club along with their over the seas team, until they catch up on them (not in my lifetime!)

agree 100%

i dont see the point in patriotism or nationalism, but its common sense really. the more support the domestic game gets the quicker the improvements will come and the higher a standard of game we'll have on our doorstep

youd think that this is a no brainer for anyone who likes football, but apparently not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

nipplenuts wrote: »
    How any Irishman/woman could put their support of an Engish club ahead of their country is beyond me. For shame :(

so true... wtf... cannot believe how many people are putting club before country, cannot understand the logic behind that

Club.

There is no country.

Couldn't disagree more, regardless of how bad the FAI have f*cked up over the years, I don't think I could compare Ireland winning any sort of trophey to any other sort of sporting triumph...

absolutely amazed at some of the so called 'football fans' on here that don't even support their own country... unreal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Both of my respective teams are too shite at the moment to reach the situation.

roryc wrote: »
    so true... wtf... cannot believe how many people are putting club before country, cannot understand the logic behind that

i dont see whats so tricky to understand. personally i just dont like the international game. i rarely watch international tournaments unless theres absolutely nothing else to do. it just does nothing for me
    absolutely amazed at some of the so called 'football fans' on here that don't even support their own country... unreal

so to be a football fan you have to support your country? even if you feel no afinity towards them, their players, or the international game?

thats utter nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

i dont see whats so tricky to understand. personally i just dont like the international game. i rarely watch international tournaments unless theres absolutely nothing else to do. it just does nothing for me

so to be a football fan you have to support your country? even if you feel no afinity towards them, their players, or the international game?

thats utter nonsense

Surely it goes beyond being a football fan. It's the fact these people are representing your nation on an international stage.

I'm not a fan of cricket but I was happy when the Irish team managed to punch above their weight at the World Cup. I'm not a fan of golf really but I'm pleased to see Padraig Harrington doing so well this year.

What I don't understand is people who say they feel no affinity, no connection etc.

It's your own country at the end of the day. For me my nationality is part of my identity. I think a lot of people feel the same way.

It's strange, to me anyway, when people talk as if that means absolutely nothing to them. I find it a shame to be honest. I'm proud to be Irish no matter what the begrudgers say.

Surely it goes beyond being a football fan. It's the fact these people are representing your nation on an international stage.

I'm not a fan of cricket but I was happy when the Irish team managed to punch above their weight at the World Cup. I'm not a fan of golf really but I'm pleased to see Padraig Harrington doing so well this year.

its of no relevance to me whether "my" nation does well in football or not. same way i dont care if the rugby team does well or not. the irish cricket team i like to see do well coz i played against a good few of them in my younger days.

i like harrington as a golfer, so i like to see him doing well. id like him if he wasnt irish too, same way ill always look out for vijay, woods and mickelson. nationality doesnt come into it.
    What I don't understand is people who say they feel no affinity, no connection etc.

It's your own country at the end of the day. For me my nationality is part of my identity. I think a lot of people feel the same way.

It's strange, to me anyway, when people talk as if that means absolutely nothing to them. I find it a shame to be honest. I'm proud to be Irish no matter what the begrudgers say.

i dont see whats so hard to understand. i dont see the point in being proud of something just because its irish, or disliking something just because it isnt.

this country DOES mean absolutely nothing to me, its the landmass i was born on and the govenment i live under and thats about it. youve worded that as if youre lumping me in with being a begrudger against ireland or something? im not, i just dont value anything irish sportsmen i dont know personally do above anything non irish sportsmen i dont know personally do. it just doesnt come into it.

if ireland and england were playing at the same time and both were televised, if i absolutely had to pick one game to watch, itd be the england game, coz at least id have a villa player or 2 to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Country. Its not even remotely close for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Since we are talking proximity, I assume nobody would have an issue with me supporting Cork city if I chose to because they are a EL club?

Yet supporting Liverpool I get judged even though my house is pretty much exactly to within a few metres the same distance from Anfield and Turners cross.

See how stupid these arguments are? Can EL not just accept that there are people who just don't want to support the EL and leave it at that instead of constant sniping and trying to talk down to others because they are "better" fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Country easily.Imagine the buzz if we won the world cup. Would be the most unreal time ever. Everybody would be out on the street etc etc. Nothing would beat that feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Imagine the buzz if we won the world cup. Would be the most unreal time ever. Everybody would be out on the street etc etc. Nothing would beat that feeling

Imagine the buzz if <insert club side> won the Champions League. Same thing, just with a team you actually see week in, week out and not every two or three months.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Imagine the buzz if <insert club side> won the Champions League. Same thing, just with a team you actually see week in, week out and not every two or three months.

There would be no buzz unless your a man u, arsenal, chelsea or liverpool supporter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There's as much chance of West Ham/City winning the CL as there is Ireland winning the World Cup tbh.

Hence why I chose option 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

this is exactly what I was getting at, I will support Ireland in any sport no matter how bad they are. I cannot get to grips with the mentality of people who seem to have an interest in a sport, yet wouldn't follow their country in it! Regardless of how you justify it, its a complete lack of pride in your country IMO

this country DOES mean absolutely nothing to me, its the landmass i was born on and the govenment i live under and thats about it.

This says it all really, no point in trying to get a point across to someone who doesn't see the reasoning behind supporting your country. Strange way of viewing the world IMO but thats your choice! (don't mean this to be argumentative btw)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There's as much chance of West Ham/City winning the CL as there is Ireland winning the World Cup tbh.

Hence why I chose option 3!

I know that but thats point of this thread :p

Though if there was any chance west ham ever went champs league final I would prob be in east london if couldnt get ticket. And there is a chance for City you should know that

Regardless of how you justify it, its a complete lack of pride in your country IMO

But people can assuage these feelings by signing up for an army and getting blown to bits somewhere.

They don't have to pay 70+ quid to sit with a load of mongs in leprechaun suits waving inflatable hammers, and watching Duffer fall on his arse for 90 minutes.

But people can assuage these feelings by signing up for an army and getting blown to bits somewhere.

They don't have to pay 70+ quid to sit with a load of mongs in leprechaun suits waving inflatable hammers, and watching Duffer fall on his arse for 90 minutes.

Who said you have to go watch the match? I think most people would agree the FAI have made a right balls of it so far, but what has this got to do with actually supporting your country?

AFAIK all international competitive games are on Network 2, so in essence should be available to as wide an audience as possible.

The thing that really amazes me is that i get the feeling that if Ireland did go far in tournament (WC or EURO's), some 'football fans' on here wouldn't even watch the game on TV... that would be absolutely mind-boggling

Basically, I cant understand how anyone could pick A, as you are putting your FOREIGN club ahead of your country. And any of the LOI moaners should obv pick C... so who are the 29 traitors who picked A :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

. And any of the LOI moaners should obv pick C...

Whys that , surely the likes of Bohs , Pats Cork etc would be expecting to mount a league challenge every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

"tangible connection" me bollix, for most people (including those who support their 'local' team), their choice of club is entirely arbitrary.

How much more arbitrary can you get than proximity? Gimme a break
    What? How is supporting your local club an arbitrary decision? Proximity is the major factor in choosing a club to support for real football fans from all over the world.
    Did your Dad play for United for 15 years? No? Thought not. If he did you would have a tangible connection to the club. Typical barstooler nonsense.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Since we are talking proximity, I assume nobody would have an issue with me supporting Cork city if I chose to because they are a EL club?
    Why on earth would you assume that? If you decided to support Cork City for no reason, Cork City fans would think you were a tool, as would fans of your local club. So, exactly like the situation of supporting Liverpool then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

To a certain extent, for many people, I presume it does go beyond being a football fan. As in the examples you use above, I too was glad to see the Irish cricket team do well (as far as I'm aware many of the team are not really Irish), and see Padraig Harrington do well, as they represent the country. That doesn't mean I've any really strong feelings about them. As you note abouve you were "happy" and "please" to see these things happening. This is not "support" in my book.

For me, support goes beyond this. Support encompasses financial support (buying merchandise, tickets etc.), cheering on your team, travelling to watch them play/making the effort to watch them play, where ever it may be and no matter how meaningless the match, your contributions to the club (be it in time you volunteer, help with underage teams, selling raffle tickets, running a local supporters club branch etc.).

I feel crushed if Bohs lose a game. Depending on the game, it can play on my mind a whole weekend and leave me pretty p*ssed off, looking forward then to the next chance to put things right. Don't even get me started on if we lose a derby game. Even if we put out a joke of a team in the league cup (to let the nordies win their tin pot cup ;)), I hate to see us lose. The emotions are just much stronger for me in relation to my club than the national side.

I used to feel a connection with the national team, but I just don't anymore. I'm not sure when it all happened to be honest, it was a gradual thing, but I think since about 2002 onwards I've just lost interest in them. There are probably a million and one reasons why. I'll try to give a few below:

The way the FAI conduct themselves. They are a farce. Take a bow John Delaney - a clown of the highest order.

The FAI, who are supposed to look after the national league, promote it and market it, help increase attendances/media coverage have done pretty much nothing to help it. Without a national league, there would be no national side as far as I'm aware. Yet the disdain with which they treat the LoI is palpable. When St. Pats were playing Elfsborg, was John Delaney in attendance for one of the great victories by an Irish side in Europe? Was he f**k! He was down at the Galway races with Trap sipping champagne, getting some pictures taken to have his ugly mug in the papers the next day, and mingling with his cronies. He certainly wasn't "slumming it" in Inchicore (*deep breath, end of this part of the rant*). He doesn't even make an effort to show even false support the league he's there to promote and nurture.

The fact that so many players aren't actually Irish. I used the example of Clinton Morrison earlier. The only reason he's playing for us is that he knew he'd never get a game with England and it was in his own best career interests to declare for Ireland. Do you think he even considers himself Irish? And if so, on what basis? If we had 11 proud Irish guys from the LoI or local park on a Sunday, and we were absolutely sh*te as an international team (even worse than at present), I'd probably have a lot more affinity towards them than I do now as at least they'd have pride in the jersey and the country they're representing. When you have people wearing the green jersey who don't even consider themselves Irish, it makes a mockery of it.

The behaviour of SOME Irish fans. Whatever about the leprechaun hats, plastic hammer etc. brigade, but there's too many who go to the games and have no interest in actually getting behind the team and supporting them. The only time they get up out of their seats is to get a bit of grub at half time, they'd hardly even get off their arses to "stand up for the Boys in Green". I realise you get this sort at every club too, but I find there's a much higher percentage at Irish games. They just sit there, in silence, and maybe clap if we score a goal. They're also the very ones who'll laugh at you if you tell them you support a LoI club, 'cos they're "crap". But they're great "supporters" 'cos they watch Liverpool from their barstool/couch every week and almost all of the national side's players play in the EPL.

Tickets. The FAI rip people off. They move into a stadium capable of holding an extra 33% - 50% more, and yet prices go up (yes, I know rent of Croker etc.). Too many tickets go to corporate sponsors. I know money needs to be brought in, but it makes me sick when I hear people in work getting free tickets from a company they deal with, yet they've no interest in football, when there are genuine football fans who can't get their hands on tickets 'cos they don't know any of the suits/blazers and don't have "contacts" in world of big business. Then there was the whole scandal over the 1990 world cup too, lets not forget about that.

Minnowism of (some) Irish fans. All this crap of "sure it's the taking part that counts", or "we'll have a good jolly up anyway", content in the fact that we turn up and sure we're only a little country and weren't we great to get to *insert championship name* anyway and at least we're the best fans in the world, p*sses me off no end. It is the definition of minnowism.

Irish fans that booed Peter Lovenkrands against Denmark sum up why I dislike some of them a lot. Booing his because he played for Rangers? Come on, just because he plays for a Scottish side, who happen to be arch rivals of another Scottish side (Celtic), who gives a toss?? Mindless bigots some of them (and it was more than 1 or 2 fans, it was clearly audible on television). It just seems to me like there's a high proportion of idiots that follow the national team (although a different type of crowd seem to attend the away games...).

I know a lot of people on here have stated their surprise at the fact others have put their English club ahead of their country. It's not really that surprising. They watch them far more frequently. They probably buy a monthly fans magazine, talk about them down the pub, have a bit of banter in work about them and only talk about Ireland whenever there's a qualifier on.

Given the fact the EPL supporters are chucking so much money into the English FA, it's surprising that more don't either support England on the pitch as well as off it (i.e. financially), or that they don't put their English club ahead of the country they happen to be born in (Ireland).

I am proud to be Irish. I like to see our national team doing well, just as I like to see Harrington do well or Ken Doherty do well. Does it bother me greatly if Doherty or Harrington don't win whatever event they're competing in? No.

Publin wrote: »
    The fact that so many players aren't actually Irish. I used the example of Clinton Morrison earlier. The only reason he's playing for us is that he knew he'd never get a game with England and it was in his own best career interests to declare for Ireland. Do you think he even considers himself Irish?

Bit off-topic but related to this point: the article about Folan in the ST yesterday was cringe in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Stekelly wrote: »

Yet supporting Liverpool I get judged even though my house is pretty much exactly to within a few metres the same distance from Anfield and Turners cross.

See how stupid these arguments are? Can EL not just accept that there are people who just don't want to support the EL and leave it at that instead of constant sniping and trying to talk down to others because they are "better" fans.
    Why would you support us if you're from Dublin? :confused:

I thought this thread was about club v country...You keep on brining up the LOI.

• Advertisement

The thing that really amazes me is that i get the feeling that if Ireland did go far in tournament (WC or EURO's), some 'football fans' on here wouldn't even watch the game on TV... that would be absolutely mind-boggling

why are you putting football fans in apostrophies there? are you suggesting that anyone in ireland who doesnt follow the international game is not a true football fan?

i dont watch football in the olympics either, i have no interest in that the same way i have no interest in regular internationals, is that another sleight on my interest in the game in your eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

scruff321 wrote: »
    jesus christ how the hell could any f/ckin english,scotish or poxy league of ireland team winning their leagues be mentioned in the same breath of comparison to ireland winning the world cup!i actually cant believe the amount of people who voted for club..im a liverpool supporter and i couldnt give a flying f/ck if they won the league if i had the choice of seeing my country win a major trophy.whatever about maybe a league of ireland supporter having a greater allegiance to their club (which i still think is bull) choosing some foreign club over your country
    :D One of the funniest posts in the thread. Why do you call LOI teams "poxy"? A lot of LOI fans prefer their club to their country. How you think it's bull I don't know.

So,
    scruff321 wrote: »
    what sort of irish person are you?!?

Basically, I cant understand how anyone could pick A, as you are putting your FOREIGN club ahead of your country. And any of the LOI moaners should obv pick C... so who are the 29 traitors who picked A :)

both "my" foreign and irish clubs are ahead of "my" country in this thread. not everyone solely supports a foreign team. and if youre that concerned with the "foreign" aspect, shouldnt you be off watching gaa instead of football, it being foreign and you being so hung up about that kind of thing like

Why would a Dubliner support Cork City? I'd think it strange.

Why someone from Dublin would support a team from outside the city, ANY team, is beyond me.

Hell, some Dubliners even go so far as to pretend to be from the city of the team they follow, to the extent that they find offence in every little joke or comment about said city.

That IS weird.

Yeah, but you'll have a brand spanking new stadium right on your doorstep in a matter of months.

Look. My Dad didn't support Shels, he's a Liverpool follower, he hasn't been to Anfield since before I was born mind, too many expenses having kids in 80s Ireland. I have a go at him almost every time he tries to talk to me about football. With his "our" "us" "we". It's laughable. My own father.

I started supporting Shels because I realised that the stuff I was watching on TV wasn't what I wanted from football. I went down to the closest LoI ground to me, Tolka Park, to watch a few games, and got hooked.

You all know the feeling of being in a stadium, being around people of the same mindset, supporting the team. Imagine having that EVERY WEEK of the season, not at some random week/s of the year, Im agine having that on your doorstep. Football isn't about sitting on a couch, or in a pub, shouting at a TV. It's about being at the game. Experiencing the raw emotion. You all know what that is, and to say that watching on telly even comes one iota close to it is deluding yourselves.
    See how stupid these arguments are?
    Er yeah. Your Cork City argument was pretty silly. You won't find any LoI fan subscribing to it. No sane one anyway.

The line trotted out is always "support your local club". Not a club a hundred and fifty or two hundred miles away, or more.
    Can EL not just accept that there are people who just don't want to support the EL and leave it at that instead of constant sniping and trying to talk down to others because they are "better" fans.

Yep, I accept that people don't want to support the LoI (EL is a redundant term btw, ever since that rat Delaney sold the league down the swanee, again).

What I don't accept is people saying "It's shoite, I was at a game once and it was shoite, I'd never go again".

It isn't comparable. Of course it's shíte compared to your last day-trip to the mainland. You'd saved for weeks, looked forward to your trip, you had a weekend on the beer probably. It was something you looked forward to, tols the lads about "I'm going to Old Trafford/Anfield next week, can't wait". Going to LoI matches as a supporter is not something you tell your mates about, you just do it. Every Friday. It's a part of your week, not some special occasion to be bragged about to your mates.

"Ah deadly, I got great seats, I'll probably be on MOTD later, watch out for me".

You all know the feeling of being in a stadium, being around people of the same mindset, supporting the team. Imagine having that EVERY WEEK of the season, not at some random week/s of the year, Im agine having that on your doorstep. Football isn't about sitting on a couch, or in a pub, shouting at a TV. It's about being at the game. Experiencing the raw emotion. You all know what that is, and to say that watching on telly even comes one iota close to it is deluding yourselves.

why do you automatically assume that people who support english clubs dont understand this, or go to games regularly?

why do you automatically assume that people who support english clubs dont understand this,
    I clearly stated in that part you quoted that everyone DOES understand it.

Or did you just pick a random part of my post to have a go at?

Here is is again, you missed it the first time.
    Football isn't about sitting on a couch, or in a pub, shouting at a TV. It's about being at the game. Experiencing the raw emotion. You all know what that is

or go to games regularly?

The vast majority of EPL/SPL supporters on this message board who are based in Ireland do NOT regularly attend games of the club they support.

Two or three day trips a year is not regular attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

why do you automatically assume that people who support english clubs dont understand this, or go to games regularly?
    Because they are all around us, and the vast, vast majority travel to less than a handful of games a season. A huge percentage travel to no games at all.

People understand that there are a tiny minority who hold season tickets and travel weekly, but these are the exception. They are deluded, but at least they are committed to their delusion :)

there are plenty who go to every home game

i know loads of united fans who go to most matches (home and away), i go to every home game for villa (and see the same 5 or 6 faces on the flight every week, so they do too), and i know a good few who go to at least 7 or 8 scouse games a week too

thats a big pool of people for 1 person to be able to list straight away

CiaranC wrote: »
    Because they are all around us, and the vast, vast majority travel to less than a handful of games a season. A huge percentage travel to no games at all.

People understand that there are a tiny minority who hold season tickets and travel weekly, but these are the exception. They are deluded, but at least they are committed to their delusion :)

whats deluisional about following the team you support?

my season ticket coz less than my drogheda one, and flights cost about €36 return on average coz i book early. spending money involves a program and a bit of grub. whole thing is cheaper than say a trip to cork for a drogheda game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Bit off-topic but related to this point: the article about Folan in the ST yesterday was cringe in the extreme.

I didn't actually see it, thank God. But I can imagine the kind of rubbish that was written. It's all too common in the Irish media.
    DrMorphine wrote: »
    There would be no buzz unless your a man u, arsenal, chelsea or liverpool supporter

Why's that? Or is there some joke I'm not getting here - can nobody else win the premiership/champions league? Surely there'd be even more of a buzz for fans of a club that win it if someone other than the top 4 achieved that.

I'd say people would see it as pretty weird, including most Cork City fans, if you had no reason to support them ahead of a Dublin side (assuming you're from Dublin, have no connection with Cork etc.).

You're supporting an English club, not an Irish one. Then people are giving out about others putting a club ahead of their country. If you love your country so much, why don't you support an Irish team instead of an English one?

Yeah, I have come to think that maybe no matter what you say, what you do, regardless of the ticket prices, ease of transport, marketing, facilities, standard of football and so on, that at the end of it all, Ireland is a country full of event-junkies who'll never be drawn in to support an Irish team (i.e. not talking about just turning up to watch Pats and Hertha Berlin etc.). Please, tell me why there are people who "just don't want to supprot the eL", and how we can rectify this? There must be some reason you support the EPL ahead of the LoI. I realise this is going off topic so if you wish to reply by PM or start another thread that's no problem. I'm genuinely interested in how to get widespread support for the LoI in this country.

Maybe then my "Murphy for Ireland" rants to mates would make more sense to them :o.

I think that maybe the reason that LoI fans seem to be putting club ahead of country, and that EPL fans put country ahead of club, is that the LoI fans have more of a connection to the club than EPL fans, as they attend games week in week out, spend a lot of money on it, socialise with other eL fans, help out at their club etc.? So I'd suggest, that maybe LoI fans enjoy/feel more of a connection to their club than EPL fans?

Thought that is probably a topic for another thread, which will undoubtedly descend into LoI -v- EPL fans, resulting in copious bans and vitriolic rants :o. Should be fun :p.

• Advertisement
Advertisement