Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club or country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Country winning major international tournament
    What I find fascinating though is a lot of Eircom League fans on this thread have said they refuse to support the national team because of its association with the FAI, yet these same people support their local sides - which fall under the FAI umbrella.

Why not refuse to support your local team then in protest at the FAI?

The FAI have nothing to do with me preferring club over country. It may be a reason for some, or just one of a number of reasons, but there are a lot of people whose lack of interest in the national team has nothing to do with the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

CiaranC wrote: »
    Maybe it would, but I seriously doubt it.

To be honest, the more time I spend listening to EPL/OleOlers, the more I think well **** the lot of them. If some undecideds want to come along and be part of it, hopefully they will be swayed by the passion of LOI fans.

Have to laugh at your notion of 'pretending to be part of the team'. Several fans on this thread are part of members clubs, volunteering for their clubs etc. and are more part of their clubs than any EPL 'fan' could even comprehend.

Great, well in the future if you're whining about the poor turnout at EL matches, remember that it's self-imposed, and that you (and others) are doing the damage. It's unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Dave! wrote: »
    Great, well in the future if you're whining about the poor turnout at EL matches, remember that it's self-imposed, and that you (and others) are doing the damage. It's unfortunate.

So if there werent trolls on the internet you would be a season ticket holder at an EL club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Both teams I follow are too sh[i]i[/i]te to ever be in that situation
    Publin wrote: »
    Do you not see why it is so hard for people to engage with the national side, when the players aren't Irish? We have no connection with the players - we don't watch them play live every week, they don't live here, some aren't Irish and probably wouldn't consider themselves as Irish - when we've nothing in common with them, how are we supposed to feel any affinity towards the team?

Did you not read my post? Of 11 players that started the last two games, eight are born and bred Irish citizens. And the others break their bollocks off for us and have been doing so for a while. Clearly, they believe their Irish - even if they don't meet your definition of what that is.

I think your view is warped tbh. If pursuing a career abroad automatically precludes you from being a real Irish person or having a proper connection with Ireland then it's time to rewrite the social history of this country and it's people.

bohsman wrote: »
    So if there werent trolls on the internet you would be a season ticket holder at an EL club?
    Nope, it's an attitude that's not just on the interwebs believe it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What like a Man City fan maybe? Whose club is now owned by Arabs, managed by a Welshman, and has players from as far and wide as Brazil and Ireland?

If I ask him what he likes most about being a football fan is he going to tell me 'it gives me local pride?' Come on.
    Dont know an awful lot about City, but from any time I spent there I was under the impression that City were supported predominately by Mancs and were the less glamourous, more traditionalist club in the City. The lads I knew from there derided United precisely because of their image of being supported by people with no connection with Manchester.

No doubt this will change now that they are a 'glamour' club, I expect the "City till I die quotient" on here to go through the roof, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

No need to call you anything. It's clear that you believe you were left in a basket outside Glenmalure Park and so by virtue of that fact you are a Real Football Fan™ and everyone else is a poser/imposter. That appears to be a common perception among EL fans unfortunately.

You're obsessed with this idea of supporting the team closest to your doorstep/hospital you were born in. That's not what any on the LoI fans on here are saying.
    I say unfortunately, because there's alot of fans who support a local team and so are lucky enough to go to see them play every weekend, yet don't evangelise or criticise other people for their own choice of team. If more people were like this and there were less of the pettiness associated with EL (such as what is evident in this thread) then maybe it'd be more successful.

Nope, it would just mean that you'd continue to support your English team and probably know and care even less about the LoI. Nothing will convince you to go, end of.

Even if it just brings the LoI more into your thoughts (and the fact you're posting about it shows this), we've had an impact - maybe you've been put off, but for every ten who are put off, there may be one who is convinced to go. And that's one more than would have been supporting the league before this.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Did you not read my post? Of 11 players that started the last two games, eight are born and bred Irish citizens. And the others break their bollocks off for us and have been doing so for a while. Clearly, they believe their Irish - even if they don't meet your definition of what that is.

I think your view is warped tbh. If pursuing a career abroad automatically precludes you from being a real Irish person or having a proper connection with Ireland then it's time to rewrite the social history of this country and it's people.

Exactly, even if a player isn't born and bred Irish it's ok as long as he is "a good Catholic boy".

Nope, it's an attitude that's not just on the interwebs believe it or not
    So the reason you support your English team is because you dont like LOI fans then? And you dont agree that your links with them are tenuous? Im confused, please explain.

Would you blame the ex-West Ham player/legend(?), who (on Soccer AM) slated a guy from London for supporting Manchester United, and a guy (from London) who supported West Ham because Leyton Orient was his local team, if their attendances dropped?

• Advertisement

Did you not read my post? Of 11 players that started the last two games, eight are born and bred Irish citizens.

Yes, I did. Would you now care to comment on people like Westwood, Lapira, Bruce, Potter and Morrisson are Irish?
    And the others break their bollocks off for us and have been doing so for a while. Clearly, they believe their Irish - even if they don't meet your definition of what that is.

You think Aiden McGeady is Irish?? Riiiiiight. Just because he tried hard in the match? We'll have to agree to disagree there.

Where did I say that? :confused:

EDIT: I wrote: "Do you not see why it is so hard for people to engage with the national side, when the players aren't Irish? We have no connection with the players - we don't watch them play live every week, they don't live here, some aren't Irish and probably wouldn't consider themselves as Irish - when we've nothing in common with them, how are we supposed to feel any affinity towards the team?"

I didn't say that JUST because they play abroad that they can't be considered Irish, you're reading parts of a sentence in isolation just to try (and fail) to pick a hole in what I said.

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Exactly, even if a player isn't born and bred Irish it's ok as long as he is "a good Catholic boy".

If somebodies parent's are Irish people who had to leave this country to find work and they make an effort to make their children aware of their background and history; and then that child takes their chance to represent the country of their parents and does it with a huge amount of honesty and effort; and feels proud doing it - what is the ****ing problem?

Today was a bad day for this county's economy. I hope everyone posting in this thread will always have the opportunity of employment and a bright future here and have the option to stay if they wish. But unfortunately, over the next ten years that may not be the case. And if you have to leave, are you no longer Irish? And if you start a family abroad and let your kids know of your past and bring them home when you can are they not in some way Irish?

If somebodies parent's are Irish people who had to leave this country to find work and they make an effort to make their children aware of their background and history; and then that child takes their chance to represent the country of their parents and does it with a huge amount of honesty and effort; and feels proud doing it - what is the ****ing problem?

"I'm not Irish as such, but I'm a Catholic boy."
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Its not just on the internet Oscar, both times ive been to an EL game Ive been made to feel fairly unwelcome by fans at the club. If they want to attract new fans or 'noobs' as they were referred to earlier, i think the first thing they need to change is their ridiculous attitude towards football fans that aren't die hard supporters of their local club since they were 4...

So the reason you support your English team is because you dont like LOI fans then? And you dont agree that your links with them are tenuous? Im confused, please explain.
    No, I support an English team because that's the team I started supporting when I was a nipper and didn't know any better. The family all support United (dunno why, never asked), and it was bred into me. That's my arbitrary reason; yours is no doubt different, but arbitrary none the less. I continue to support them because I enjoy it.

I never claimed that my links with United are not tenuous. I'm sure they are. But then I have little interest in justifying my interest in any team tbh. I don't consider football to be the focal point of my life, that I have to go to every game and know everything about it. I have more important things to worry about tbh. It's a sport. You pick a team and support it and it enhances the experience when you have years of emotion invested in them... or else just watch the game and enjoy it anyway. I'm just posting here cos the logic of 'support your local team' is a load of b*llox.

If you consider watching other people play a sport to be some divine gift, and it to be your destiny to be a Rovers fan, then that's your prerogative. I just like football.

Yes, I did. Would you now care to comment on people like Westwood, Lapira, Bruce, Potter and Morrisson are Irish?

You think Aiden McGeady is Irish?? Riiiiiight. Just because he tried hard in the match? We'll have to agree to disagree there.

Where did I say that? :confused:

- you are talking about the edges of the squad - the minority of players who are currently involved or have been involved. Why focus on them?

- I accept that he is Scottish. But hey, if he feels an affinity to us and turns up and tries his ass off (and let's face it, his shortcomings have nothing to do with a lack of effort) I have no problem with him playing for us.

- Given that the majority of players who play for us are Irish people who have to move abroad to further their professional career, then what this:
    Do you not see why it is so hard for people to engage with the national side, when the players aren't Irish? We have no connection with the players - we don't watch them play live every week, they don't live here, some aren't Irish and probably wouldn't consider themselves as Irish - when we've nothing in common with them, how are we supposed to feel any affinity towards the team?

Is saying is that you don't support the current team because you don't accept that if they don't live in Ireland and play in this league it is an Irish team. Which is ****ing ridiculous.

roryc wrote: »
    Its not just on the internet Oscar, both times ive been to an EL game Ive been made to feel fairly unwelcome by fans at the club. If they want to attract new fans or 'noobs' as they were referred to earlier, i think the first thing they need to change is their ridiculous attitude towards football fans that aren't die hard supporters of their local club since they were 4...

I started going when I was 15 or so, never had any such problems. Maybe its just that club? Should I stop watching English football because of some of the stuff premiership fans write here?

- you are talking about the edges of the squad - the minority of players who are currently involved or have been involved. Why focus on them?

If they're so unimportant, why not call up players who are actually Irish instead then, instead of (IMO) diminishing the value of putting on the green jersey.
    - I accept that he is Scottish. But hey, if he feels an affinity to us and turns up and tries his ass off (and let's face it, his shortcomings have nothing to do with a lack of effort) I have no problem with him playing for us.

Fair enough. I'd just rather see 11 Irish lads out there representing our country.
    Is saying is that you don't support the current team because you don't accept that if they don't live in Ireland and play in this league it is an Irish team. Which is ****ing ridiculous.

No, I didn't say I don't accept them as an Irish team if they don't live here and play here. I said it's because we have NO CONNECTION with them. Not just where they live or play football, but in some cases (as noted above) even nationality. We don't watch them play live. We don't support them week in, week out. We just have no connection to them. That's all I'm saying. It's hard to feel attached or part of something/some team if you've nothing in common with them or no connection with them.

Anyway, I said I don't feel any great connection with the national team, but "like" to see us win. I don't hate the national team or hope they lose etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Some of people's arguements here are pretty bizarre.

Last time I checked, John Delaney doesn't play for Ireland.

• Advertisement

No, I support an English team because that's the team I started supporting when I was a nipper and didn't know any better.
    Nothings changed so. ;)
    The family all support United (dunno why, never asked), and it was bred into me. That's my arbitrary reason; yours is no doubt different, but arbitrary none the less. I continue to support them because I enjoy it.

I never claimed that my links with United are not tenuous. I'm sure they are. But then I have little interest in justifying my interest in any team tbh. I don't consider football to be the focal point of my life, that I have to go to every game and know everything about it. I have more important things to worry about tbh. It's a sport. You pick a team and support it and it enhances the experience when you have years of emotion invested in them... or else just watch the game and enjoy it anyway.
    Thats all fair enough. Bit illogical coming on a football forum and countering arguments with 'football isnt that important anyway' though.
    I'm just posting here cos the logic of 'support your local team' is a load of b*llox.
    No, its fundamental to the experience of being a fan. We'll have to agree to disagree on that.
    If you consider watching other people play a sport to be some divine gift, and it to be your destiny to be a Rovers fan, then that's your prerogative. I just like football.
    Being a Rovers fan a divine gift? Not many would put it like that, lol

You just like football, thats fair enough, you arent pretending otherwise. I prefer a bit more passion in my football, hence being put off going to see Ireland.

deise59 wrote: »

Yeah, he doesn't. Why did Keane walk out in 2002 again?

Why do you think FC United were formed when Glazer took over Manchester United?

Like it or not, who is in charge/running things does matter to some people - especially when they're incompetent pr*cks.

Neither does Brian Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

No, its fundamental to the experience of being a fan. We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Couldn't disagree more with this. Support who you want to support ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

scruff321 wrote: »
    jesus christ how the hell could any f/ckin english,scotish or poxy league of ireland team winning their leagues be mentioned in the same breath of comparison to ireland winning the world cup!i actually cant believe the amount of people who voted for club..im a liverpool supporter and i couldnt give a flying f/ck if they won the league if i had the choice of seeing my country win a major trophy.whatever about maybe a league of ireland supporter having a greater allegiance to their club (which i still think is bull) choosing some foreign club over your country what sort of irish person are you?!?

Here ****ing here.

I can certainly understand a commited EL fan regarding getting to the final or even near it of the CL as being equal to Ireland doing the same. But to claim that seeing them winning a domestic title over Ireland causing major upsets in tournaments......my hole.

Of course, none of them seem to see the irony that if their team did start progressing through the latter stages of the CL the stadiums would be jammed full of *insert club colour* hammers, wigs and general fairweatherism. Where is the difference?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Club.

Dont get me wrong, i'd be happy to see Ireland do well but not comparable to wat i'd feel if/when(;)) Liverpool win the league.

You would be happier seeing one of the best teams in Europe doing what they should have done years ago over seeing little oul Ireland break into the football elite?

You do know when Shankly made his famous "life or death" quote most people who supported Liverpool didnt live in Dublin, Spain, Africa, Scandanavia and the far East, and therefore it had more meaning back then.

Why do you think FC United were formed when Glazer took over Manchester United?

Like it or not, who is in charge/running things does matter to some people - especially when they're incompetent pr*cks.

The Glazers were the milennium bug of the football world. The time came....it passed.....no disaster, Utd are stronger than ever (well, not this season so far, but in the grand scheme of things). The Glazers could have easily cut and ran with the mad money Madrid wanted to throw at them. They didnt.

So you would abandon your beloved EL club if the board were pricks? Half the teams in England are getting ****ed by dubious boards. Newky, Spurs, Liverpool to an extent. The FAI are not unique, and surely the appointment of Trap is a sign they are perhaps changing?

If Ireland won a World Cup or Euros I'd go out of my mind! I had to vote for country here......... seeing as Ive witnessed United win the CL twice and Ive seen Barca win a CL too Ireland winning anything would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Although........ the Go Ahead Eagles winning the CL would bring a tear of joy to mine eyes!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jesus Christ, I'm sorry but this beggars belief. A handful of LOI fans on an internet forum are responsible for you ignoring the the local game.

I'm usually agnostic, if sad about people ignoring the local game but please don't insult people's intelligence by claiming that they are somehow driving you away. You don't go because you don't want to go. End of.

Also: can we stop using the phrase EL. It's LOI. Eircom don't need any more free advertising.

Pure Cork wrote: »
    I would rather City to win the League Cup than Ireland win a major tournament. Maybe it's not important to you, but it's important to me.

You would honestly get more joy watching them secure their final points in some regional 2000 seat football ground that has seen better days in a competition that allows you the same chance every single year, than watch Keane, Dunne and Given lift the cup in 2010 in a massive stadium, every stand a sea of green white and gold, packed full of people who took out loans, quit jobs and basically gave their right arm to fly to the somewhat dodgy S Africa? (re th EPL fans, you truly get the same buzz watching Man Utd lift their umpteenth title during an away game in Wigan?).

I wouldnt be embarassed to shed a tear at the above scene. If I cried after watching Liverpool beat Man U in last years CL final I would want shooting tbh. I cringe every time I hear an EPL team referred to as "we". I heavily backed Holland in the Euros, monetarily at first as they seemed a ridicilously long outside bet given their squad and their record in their qualifying group, but morally after the style they demolished Italy with. Didnt mean I suddenly thought I was Dutch ffs.

Nothings changed so. ;)

Thats all fair enough. Bit illogical coming on a football forum and countering arguments with 'football isnt that important anyway' though.

Being a Rovers fan a divine gift? Not many would put it like that, lol

You just like football, thats fair enough, you arent pretending otherwise. I prefer a bit more passion in my football, hence being put off going to see Ireland.
    Nice note to end on Ciaran, I stopped liking this thread about 3 hours ago, why do I keep posting :p I bid you adieu, all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I've learnt that it's pretty pointless to argue about it. It's not as if we make a rational decision who to support more. The same way we don't wake up one morning and decide this is the day we'll fall in love. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

stovelid wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, I'm sorry but this beggars belief. A handful of LOI fans on an internet forum are responsible for you ignoring the the local game.

Well said.

I said it once, I'll say it again.

The reason why people support British clubs is becuase its the big time, they grew up supporting the club with their mates in school and thats fine. Nothing wrong with that. Their Dad supported their team, thats fine too. But all those clubs got their due to support. A club is nothing without support.

I get it, you can support who you want. Geography wouldnt and shouldnt come into it.

But points arise

Supporting locally brings so many benefits to you, and where you are.

You get better football - at your doorstep.
    Your community where you live benefits from it.
    Your own country should you care about it will produce better talent and will benefit as a result.
    More support, means better facilities and a better game.
    It means vast improvement in the moral and feeling in the local areas and the country as a whole.

If you were a footballer, wouldnt you like to take an area close to you, or a home area and achieve all you could? Players have their careers at heart but I bet you everything I have if you were to ask Damien Duff, Dunne etc if they would like to take a Shamrock Rovers or a Shels to the CL final they'd say yes without a doubt. But again how or when is this gonna happen (it just doesnt matter does it lads).

I'll always love Manchester United, how they play and how the club potrays itself. My Dad watched them when he lived there. I grew up loving them before 3 or 4 seasons before they won the league in 93. But I just love the idea and feeling of a decent club playing decent football representing the area I live in, or in the country I grew up.

That club is Bohs. Friday night in dalymount, surrounded by people from my country, or people that live in the area, looking to be entertained close to home and hoping their heroes do well. Listening to chants in an Irish accent, about things that are known to us and can relate to.
    I'm usually agnostic, if sad about people ignoring the local game but please don't insult people's intelligence by claiming that they are somehow driving you away. You don't go because you don't want to go. End of.

Again, well said. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well that was a big pile of sh!t i've just read.

From what I gather though

Majority of country over club fans don't help the national team in the way they support their clubs

and majority of people who hate their national team support irish football by funding it every week

It's delicious irony!

shane86 wrote: »
    You would honestly get more joy watching them secure their final points in some regional 2000 seat football ground that has seen better days in a competition that allows you the same chance every single year
    For me, thats a yes.

Unearthly wrote: »

Majority of country over club fans don't help the national team in the way they support their clubs

and majority of people who hate their national team support irish football by funding it every week

It's delicious irony!

Its blatant prentiousness is all it is. They are the same type who wont drink Bud because it isnt brewed like some neverheardof continental beer, despite not having a ****ing clue how beer is brewed. The type that for some reason regards their local chipper burgers as being a better, safer, cleaner standard of meat than McDonalds with absoloutely no evidence whatsoever. People who regard Smirnoff as inferior vodka because it is popular. People who believe you cant get good pizza outside of either Italy or New York/Boston. So on and so on. Ireland is toooo popular, **** that like! Laughable the lot of it.

Hope my post isnt included in that :) cas I spent ages on it!

It's delicious irony!

How else will they support the club they love?

Its blatant prentiousness is all it is. They are the same type who wont drink Bud because it isnt brewed like some neverheardof continental beer, despite not having a ****ing clue how beer is brewed. The type that for some reason regards their local chipper burgers as being a better, safer, cleaner standard of meat than McDonalds with absoloutely no evidence whatsoever. People who regard Smirnoff as inferior vodka because it is popular. People who believe you cant get good pizza outside of either Italy or New York/Boston. So on and so on. Ireland is toooo popular, **** that like! Laughable the lot of it.
    Theres nothing pretentious about it. I just feel a closer attachment to my club than I do to the international setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's delicious irony!

That pretty much sums it up alright! Oh to be Irish. :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Trilla wrote: »
    Hope my post isnt included in that :) cas I spent ages on it!

It was meant only for your post ;)

Trilla wrote: »
    how else will they support the club they love?

Not saying there is a different way, just a funny observation I noticed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can certainly understand a commited EL fan regarding getting to the final or even near it of the CL as being equal to Ireland doing the same. But to claim that seeing them winning a domestic title over Ireland causing major upsets in tournaments......my hole.
    Its blatant prentiousness is all it is. They are the same type who wont drink Bud because it isnt brewed like some neverheardof continental beer, despite not having a ****ing clue how beer is brewed..

You seem to think you have the right to infer other people's deepest thoughts and motivations. Congratulations on your powers of omniscience. Now, let's get this straight:

I support Ireland and to a lesser extent England where I lived until I was 11. I'm sharing a friend's ticket allocation for the upcoming home qualifiers and will be attending all of them. I have attended Ireland matches on and off since 1985.

BUT I would rather Shamrock Rovers or Manchester United won the league than Ireland or England do well in a World Cup or Euro. No doubt whatsoever about this. It has always been this way. This is not due to pretension. This is not due to a self-loathing, or dislike of country. It is not a ruse to wind up Ireland fans. Even if I didn't hate the FAI and the Oireland day-trippers, I'd still prioritize club over country.

Is this clear enough for you? Or do you wish to continue speaking on my behalf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You would honestly get more joy watching them secure their final points in some regional 2000 seat football ground that has seen better days in a competition that allows you the same chance every single year, than watch Keane, Dunne and Given lift the cup in 2010 in a massive stadium, every stand a sea of green white and gold, packed full of people who took out loans, quit jobs and basically gave their right arm to fly to the somewhat dodgy S Africa? (re th EPL fans, you truly get the same buzz watching Man Utd lift their umpteenth title during an away game in Wigan?).

I wouldnt be embarassed to shed a tear at the above scene. If I cried after watching Liverpool beat Man U in last years CL final I would want shooting tbh. I cringe every time I hear an EPL team referred to as "we". I heavily backed Holland in the Euros, monetarily at first as they seemed a ridicilously long outside bet given their squad and their record in their qualifying group, but morally after the style they demolished Italy with. Didnt mean I suddenly thought I was Dutch ffs.

I'll ignore the points you're making cos you're not even clever enough to know our national colours. :rolleyes:

It was meant only for your post ;)

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Winning the premiership is far more important to me than winning the champions league. Not everyone agrees with your opinion, that doesn't make them wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Does anybody's opinion actually get in anyway swayed by the passionate arguing on each side... I doubt it :p, though at some point I saw the light back in my youth and stopped supporting Man U (after they won the league for the first time in many years btw), the way I looked at it was ... I'm not English so why support an English team, it really made no logical sense to me even though it's something countless others did(and still do) without a second thought.... since then I lived in Manchester and have a slight affinity for teams from the North West of England in general, I'd still prefer any Irish club to do well in Europe over them though.

I don't have any strong ties to any club so for me it's defo Country first. I'm surprised at the large minority who would put club first, perhaps it's to do with how bad the international team have been over the last 4-5 years and how low an esteem the FAI are held in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

luckylucky wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the large minority who would put club first, perhaps it's to do with how bad the international team have been over the last 4-5 years and how low an esteem the FAI are held in.

Not for me, even when ireland were doing quite well i.e. 88-94, I still couldn't get excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Finn Harps winning the FAI Cup would mean more to me than Ireland winning the World Cup. Neither will ever happen though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

roryc wrote: »
    Where did this happen to you.

Whenever anyone has asked me to bring them to a loi with them I've gotten them a seat in the reserved area so they could sit in comfort, brought them into the bar to mix with my friends and make them feel welcome.

Also: can we stop using the phrase EL. It's LOI. Eircom don't need any more free advertising.
    thanks
    Its blatant prentiousness is all it is. They are the same type who wont drink Bud because it isnt brewed like some neverheardof continental beer,

Bud is shít, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Not for me, even when ireland were doing quite well i.e. 88-94, I still couldn't get excited.

Ok, but I'd imagine you were in a small minority back then, now though your practically mainstream by the looks of things. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Des wrote: »
    Bud is shít, in fairness.

+1 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Country. Robbie Keane, Ibrachi, June 2002, 90+2.

Its hard to compare to Pool's CL win, different but what a WC does for this country is magnificant.

noodler wrote: »
    Country. Robbie Keane, Ibrachi, June 2002, 90+2.

Its hard to compare to Pool's CL win, different but what a WC does for this country is magnificant.

When I think of Irelands participation in the 02 WC all I remember is Saipan and bottling it against Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

When I think of Irelands participation in the 02 WC all I remember is Saipan and bottling it against Spain.

Bottling it? Penalties are a lottery.

Advertisement