Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative ways to sound proof a floor in a two storey

Options
  • 28-09-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all, as the title suggests, what would people suggest to the above?

What I am doing in renovating an old house. The floor has been taken out up stairs and a new one is being put in place.
    The dimensions internally are approximate 36ft X 17ft.
    What the builder is going doing is putting in the new floor is 5 steel RSJ's that will be 5inch X 2inch. These will be spaced out evenly to span the 17ft gap across the house.

While we are going to the trouble of replacing the whole floor, I was thinking is there anything we could do to help eliminate floor noise upstairs as in when some one is walking around upstairs that they can be heard down stairs?

I know say that using pre cast concrete slabs would be the ideal way but the roof has been put on the house and I would have no way of lifting them in!

I was thinking maybe of to put in more steel beams so as to eliminate "flex" in the floor or something?

Thanks,
    Magz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I assume your Engineer has designed the steel beams supporting the floor and I assume you are using chemical fixings, to fix steel to masonry. So I'll limit my comments to sound proofing a timber joist floor.

(Just to say you could use a beam and block floor, with infill concrete blocks. This would require a screed and would be classed as a concrete floor. There are afew different manufacturers)

Having said that it would be more expensive to put extra steel in to try to prevent bounce. If the steels are designed correctly there should be no "bounce". Ask the builder to increase timber bridging to 1m centres, between joist.

Timber joists:
    Place 5mm rubber strips on top of timber joist prior to laying 18mm smartply or ply wood. (Joist strips widely available in rolls)
    You should install 19mm thick plasterboard , laid between joist on metal "tophat" as it is quite good at sound proofing.

Place a rubber strip under all new stud walls - the strip kills vibrated sound.

18mm ply, with 3mm underlay, with 12mm ply on top, then 5mm rubber underlay and 19mm solid pine t&g flooring.

Tightly pack joists with 100mm / 150mm thick Rockwool.
    Double slab ceilings - as this gives great sound proofing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

there is a crew that will pump a special mix (like concrete but lighter) onto timber joisting. Like a slurry mix. They roll out plastic over the ply and create a 4 " bath into which they pump the liquid in. Same type of pump used for monocuse render. It helps stop foot steps being heard. Seen it done on a timber frame house we built. worked well. will have to find out there name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Magzr

Thanks guys there for some "food for thought" for me.
    gsxr1, one thing that would maybe strike me about that concrete slurry type mix is about the breathability of the timber after wards?
    Last think I would want would be dry or damp rot or something from when the timber "sweated" the moisture could not evaporate off?

Advertisement